How do we not look at Logan Ryan for the Safety position?

LittleD

Reaction score
Stop with the two expensive. Salary cap has never been an issue. It’s only the fans that make it an issue. Other than that you can discuss it

You don't seem to listen to the Cowboy's FO do you. Stephen has spoken...They don't overpay for marginal players. They seem to worry about the salary cap more than fans do. With the season in doubt, they
are not going to give big money contracts to anyone else...

AKATheRake

Reaction score
That is the question to ask about Logan Ryan. Is he a proven talent at the safety position? Obviously, teams up to this point do not think so at least with respect to his asking price.

You would have to bring him in to see. Thus the question why do we not take a look? I did not say sign the guy.
So he played for 3 years $30 million with the Titans and he performed well.

He's 29 and probably has 2 seasons left at the current level he is playing at. If it's just because of the money, or they are trying to save it for a hypothetical push towards a player like Clowney. Then I understand why they are not looking.

But we were interested in upgrading Woods. So we won't even look at this player as an option?

He just may be worth $10 million a year for 2 seasons and low guarantees up front so if he needs to go next year or we wind a player in the draft we can let him go.

Haha is on a 1 year and Woods is in his final year and there currently is no proven depth behind them.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I wasn't really aware of him. I wonder why other teams haven't signed him yet? Looking at his stats it's amazing he didn't make the Pro Bowl last year. He also had 4.5 sacks and 18 passes defended on top of the other stats you mentioned.

It may be his asking price, or it may be that teams are a little reluctant with the current uncertainty of the season hanging over their heads.

This is a very good point.

Like you also stated as I have, he was ultra productive and Vrabel knew him well to snatch him up for 3 years.

Tennessee had a good run last year and Ryan won 2 rings with the Pats to boot.

He sticks his nose in wherever the balls is as a secondary player. He missed 1 game the last 2 seasons while being physical.

He's not the biggest guy at 5'11, 195 lbs and his 40 is 4.56 seconds so he is not the fastest either. So this may be a reason also.

But boy is he gritty, got good football smarts, instincts and seems like a hell of a team player. Again, he's won.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I read somewhere the griffen has mental issues....if drinking or mental issues are true, that explains why he is on the market.

I wonder same thing about logan. if he is that good, then somebody would sign him. I mean Byron Jones got a deal.....so what's with Logan? what's the issue?

1. Yes, my belief also.

2. I think it's size, speed, the uncertainty teams are having with the virus, not being able to properly check players out and money of course. He is also 29 and as a secondary player you pretty much got 1-2 years at your best left especially if you were not the biggest or fastest guy to begin with. Thus why I believe between his age and speed he is realizing safety is the best fit this point in his career playing and contractually.

So why not take a look? Maybe there's a fit and a fair deal that can be made. Both our starters have 1 year left on their deals and there is no proven depth behind them. Woods would be great depth at both safety spots.

joseephuss

Reaction score
You would have to bring him in to see. Thus the question why do we not take a look? I did not say sign the guy.
So he played for 3 years $30 million with the Titans and he performed well.

He's 29 and probably has 2 seasons left at the current level he is playing at. If it's just because of the money, or they are trying to save it for a hypothetical push towards a player like Clowney. Then I understand why they are not looking.

But we were interested in upgrading Woods. So we won't even look at this player as an option?

He just may be worth $10 million a year for 2 seasons and low guarantees up front so if he needs to go next year or we wind a player in the draft we can let him go.

Haha is on a 1 year and Woods is in his final year and there currently is no proven depth behind them.

The article mentioned he played 22 snaps at safety last season. The vast majority of his career has been at corner back. If they are looking for corner back help, then I can agree about bringing him in for an evaluation. You have extensive tape on him as a corner and the scouting department has probably seen him play corner. You won't have any of that if you are evaluating him as a safety. Bringing him in won't tell you much at all about him as a safety. A few drills isn't going to cut it at even half of his asking price of $10 million.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The man is a FA, had 113 tackles, 4 forced fumbles and 4 INT's as a CB.

He says he's a safety first and his stats and initiative when it comes to tackling shows up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/logan-ryan-safety-not-cornerback-free-agent

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RyanLo00.htm

We don't have to give up any draft picks, the man has 2 SB rings and has been sitting out there until now.

Let's bring this guy in for a look.

His asking price is far too high, and that's why he's still available, like Clowney and Griffen.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There is a reason why a fa is still on the open market in the month of August. He wants to get paid and isn't willing to take less. He is an ok player, more of a nickel, slot CB at this juncture, not so much a safety. Would you give 10 million a year for a sub-package player?

This is what I don't understand when fans bring up a player who is available now. Every team has the opportunity to add that player but has declined. There's generally a good reason for that.

I'm not sure it's just the price demands, but teams do weigh cost vs. value, which is based on performance level, coachability, etc. They know better than us what they are getting and what the player should be worth. ... That's one reason I don't trip out over contracts. If the team pays a player huge money, it's because that's what the player's market value is. Sure, the home team can sometimes get a discount, but it's not like the owners and GMs set out to pay their players more than they are worth.

Elliott got a contract because the team agreed with his value; Dak has not because the team doesn't agree with what he believes his value is at this point. Now, there have been times when a player signed with another team where I thought the value was good and Dallas should have went after that player, but we don't really know that they didn't make him an offer or if he was even willing to take the same offer from the Cowboys. We focus too much on contracts when we don't have all the variables.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Cowboys do not value the safety position enough to spend money on it. They believe they can spend low draft picks or bargain shop for the position. It is what it is. No matter who we suggest this team will not address that position.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
This is what I don't understand when fans bring up a player who is available now. Every team has the opportunity to add that player but has declined. There's generally a good reason for that.

I'm not sure it's just the price demands, but teams do weigh cost vs. value, which is based on performance level, coachability, etc. They know better than us what they are getting and what the player should be worth. ... That's one reason I don't trip out over contracts. If the team pays a player huge money, it's because that's what the player's market value is. Sure, the home team can sometimes get a discount, but it's not like the owners and GMs set out to pay their players more than they are worth.

Elliott got a contract because the team agreed with his value; Dak has not because the team doesn't agree with what he believes his value is at this point. Now, there have been times when a player signed with another team where I thought the value was good and Dallas should have went after that player, but we don't really know that they didn't make him an offer or if he was even willing to take the same offer from the Cowboys. We focus too much on contracts when we don't have all the variables.

While true, just because other teams don't want a player doesn't mean they are right. Nobody wanted Cam Newton either until someone did.

I guess this is probably my issue with this type of thinking and this team. Don't fall in line because everyone else is. If you think a player can help you win then go and get them. They are too concerned with "setting the market" and focused on things outside of football.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
The article mentioned he played 22 snaps at safety last season. The vast majority of his career has been at corner back. If they are looking for corner back help, then I can agree about bringing him in for an evaluation. You have extensive tape on him as a corner and the scouting department has probably seen him play corner. You won't have any of that if you are evaluating him as a safety. Bringing him in won't tell you much at all about him as a safety. A few drills isn't going to cut it at even half of his asking price of $10 million.

That's good insight.

We got 2 rookies drafted and our 2nd rounder is probably going to start. Our other 2 starters at corner, Awuzie and Lewis are in their last year of their contracts. Our 2 starting safeties are in their last year of their contracts.

Maybe we should get him in as a corner where 10 million is not a bad price to pay for your starter and proven vet. 4 INT's, 4 FF's, 113 tackles, 4.5 sacks and 8 QB pressures. We need turnovers and this guy is all over the place.

Put Awuzie at safety and Diggs/Lewis on the other side of Ryan.

We have a full secondary with depth, youth, leadership, talent and play making ability. We also have versatility for next year to get a FA and draft who we like if we don't keep Chido and/or Lewis or any of our safeties if we like Ryan and get a fair deal done.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
While true, just because other teams don't want a player doesn't mean they are right. Nobody wanted Cam Newton either until someone did.

I guess this is probably my issue with this type of thinking and this team. Don't fall in line because everyone else is. If you think a player can help you win then go and get them. They are too concerned with "setting the market" and focused on things outside of football.

No, it doesn't mean they are right, but generally they have more information that they are going off than we know. Everyone misses on free agents, so obviously the intel that teams gather when looking to sign a player isn't always enough. I'm just saying that they generally have more insight than we do.

I don't think Dallas is concerned about setting the market. The Cowboys have paid the going rate for players they believe are worth that rate. Their concern has become not paying big money to outside FAs because they don't believe they have proven to be worth it. I don't completely agree with that thinking because you still often get what you pay for.

BTW, New England got Newton for cheap and he's only on a one-year, prove-you-still-got it deal. He does have incentives that can increase the deal to $7 million, but that's still cheap for a starting QB. Not sure he would have taken that deal from just any team.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Actually it’s never was with this franchise my cowboy brother. Tell me one player we didn’t go after that we Wanted. I can’t remember any because of the.

Please tell us about the personnel meetings you've attended at Cowboys HQ over the years.

"I haven't read anything on the internet about it, so it never happened."

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are all going to have to come down my friend. Or they don't play and that will hurt more.

I hope so, but all three still appear to have unreasonable demands and that's why they're sitting out there a month out from the season. I think they picked a bad time to hold out for big bucks.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys do not value the safety position enough to spend money on it. They believe they can spend low draft picks or bargain shop for the position. It is what it is. No matter who we suggest this team will not address that position.
Overall this seems to be true, but if reports are to be believed they did make a run at trading for Earl Thomas a year ago. I think with that and the fact they signed Ha Ha shows at least some greater interest in the position.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Please tell us about the personnel meetings you've attended at Cowboys HQ over the years.

"I haven't read anything on the internet about it, so it never happened."
What are you talking about. Tell me one player the Cowboys couldn’t sign because of the salary cap. One player that they actually wanted that they couldn’t get. The answer is none and that’s an actual fact

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
If we had signed Dak maybe we could afford him....
200.gif

LLLOOLLL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Overall this seems to be true, but if reports are to be believed they did make a run at trading for Earl Thomas a year ago. I think with that and the fact they signed Ha Ha shows at least some greater interest in the position.

I like Ha Ha but he's the typical signing for them. The band aid on a gun shot wound signing. Before him it was Iloka. Before Iloka it was Sensabaugh. Before Sensabaugh it was Ken Hamlin. I'm not saying spend big money on the position because I do believe it is one of those positions you shouldn't. But at least invest a solid draft pick into it.

I do not believe for one second they had a honest discussion about Earl.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What are you talking about. Tell me one player the Cowboys couldn’t sign because of the salary cap. One player that they actually wanted that they couldn’t get. The answer is none and that’s an actual fact
That's really a tough question to answer as we don't know who the FO really wanted, but internally acknowledged that the player was too expensive.
Maybe Byron Jones?

I don't know, but I'm sure the team tries to practice responsible cap management.