How does anyone take Helman seriously?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Their college concepts that the HS runs. In your urgency to be right you totally ignored me saying that previously.

True it is concepts ran at the college level that high schools looks to. Fact is more and more we see NFL coaches look to the concepts used by college. With FA you don't have time to sit guys and have them learn as teams once did. Growing up I seldom saw rookie QB playing right away and now that you have FA teams have to throw these guys out there so they tend to put them into a system they understand and are more comfortable in as they did in college. Hell hardly anyone takes snaps from center now days.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
Regarding Kitna (from https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-new-oc-hire-to-come-from-within):

"On top of that, having coached at the high school level, he has familiarity with some of the newer concepts in offensive football being popularized by the likes of Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson and Chicago Bears coach Matt Nagy."

Are we being trolled? WHAT IS HAPPENING? WHAT IS THIS.

I think Helman's being a little lazy. The Philly Special was a high school play. At some point the Vikings used it in a game vs. the Bears before the Eagles ran it in the Super Bowl. Maybe he's thinking because the Philly Special was a high school play that Pederson's using high school plays.

Pederson didn't bring high school football concepts to the Eagles. The Eagles quality control guys break down film every week from NFL, college, and high school games looking for plays they might be able to incorporate into what they do. Sometimes they find something. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes the coaches won't use anything they are presented. Sometimes they will. They might use a play as it was constructed, or they may see something they can make a tweak or two to it and use it. With Pederson, it has more to do with film study than anything's he's done coaching at the high school level.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
Doug Pederson was successful as a high school coach. He got them into state semis in quick time. He turned it into top 5 programs of LA.

Kitna:

From 2012 to 2014, Kitna was a math teacher and head football coach at alma mater, Lincoln High School.[2] As coach he led the team to a 5–5 record in the 2012 season.[1] Lincoln improved to 8–2 in 2013[15] and 11–1 in 2014.[16] Lincoln shared the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association District 3A Narrows regular season championship in 2013, with a 5–1 conference record tied with Lacey Timberline.[17] In 2014, Lincoln went 7–0 in conference play and won the outright regular season championship.[18] In January 2015, he resigned from Lincoln and accepted the head coaching job at Waxahachie High School in Waxahachie, Texas, south of Dallas.[19]

In February 2018, Kitna was hired at Brophy College Preparatory, an all-men Jesuit high school in Phoenix, Arizona.[20] He chose Brophy because of Coach Thurmond Moore and Coach Joe Denk, a Hall of Fame Strength and Conditoning coach out of Ohio.

In June 2018, he was named the offensive coordinator for the San Diego Fleet of the Alliance of American Football, which will begin play in 2019.[

EGTuna

Reaction score
Lots of concepts and ideas that have originated at the HS level are making their to the NFL. Several HS teams throughout the country have been going for it on 4th down for years (NFL teams are going for it on 4th more frequently), using more versatile defenders in less traditional formations (LAC used 7 dbs vs Baltimore in the playoffs), all of the no huddle, spread formations started in TX HS football. HS football has become a breeding ground of ideas for years.

Helman still a tool, though.

Ddisco22

Reaction score

ItzKelz

Reaction score
True it is concepts ran at the college level that high schools looks to. Fact is more and more we see NFL coaches look to the concepts used by college. With FA you don't have time to sit guys and have them learn as teams once did. Growing up I seldom saw rookie QB playing right away and now that you have FA teams have to throw these guys out there so they tend to put them into a system they understand and are more comfortable in as they did in college. Hell hardly anyone takes snaps from center now days.
I agree. By no means does this alone make anyone a good candidate to be a QB coach but if having this is important to the hiring coach and GM it definitely does not hurt.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
Doug Pederson was successful as a high school coach. He got them into state semis in quick time. He turned it into top 5 programs of LA.

Kitna:

From 2012 to 2014, Kitna was a math teacher and head football coach at alma mater, Lincoln High School.[2] As coach he led the team to a 5–5 record in the 2012 season.[1] Lincoln improved to 8–2 in 2013[15] and 11–1 in 2014.[16] Lincoln shared the Washington Interscholastic Activities Association District 3A Narrows regular season championship in 2013, with a 5–1 conference record tied with Lacey Timberline.[17] In 2014, Lincoln went 7–0 in conference play and won the outright regular season championship.[18] In January 2015, he resigned from Lincoln and accepted the head coaching job at Waxahachie High School in Waxahachie, Texas, south of Dallas.[19]

In February 2018, Kitna was hired at Brophy College Preparatory, an all-men Jesuit high school in Phoenix, Arizona.[20] He chose Brophy because of Coach Thurmond Moore and Coach Joe Denk, a Hall of Fame Strength and Conditoning coach out of Ohio.

In June 2018, he was named the offensive coordinator for the San Diego Fleet of the Alliance of American Football, which will begin play in 2019.[
Oh yeah, he's the OC for a team that doesn't exist in a league that hasn't started yet.
Did we really need to know that!??

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I agree. By no means does this alone make anyone a good candidate to be a QB coach but if having this is important to the hiring coach and GM it definitely does not hurt.

Frankly had any of the 31 other teams announced that they would hire Jon Kitna as their QB coach few would have anything negative to say.

Zordon

Reaction score
Not that it matters, but his feet don't touch the ground if he's sitting in a chair, he sometimes comes across as very enthused and overall I kinda want to poke at him a little.

I wonder how many days he runs the 40 in.
I see him at the gym occasionally. He can't bench 135 lbs.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Frankly had any of the 31 other teams announced that they would hire Jon Kitna as their QB coach few would have anything negative to say.
Most NFL teams said we were stupid for drafting LVE instead of a WR.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Most NFL teams said we were stupid for drafting LVE instead of a WR.

Most NFL teams said Jerry was stupid for hiring Jimmy Johnson as HC, after all there were no William and Marys on the college level. Jerry took a chance, it paid off.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There are plenty of reason why I don’t take Hellman seriously his demeanor is 1st and foremost. He seems completely uninterested in Dallas. Just seems like a unhappy guy at work. I wish he was gone
Totally agree. The most monotone, boring voice and demeanor imaginable. And on top of that, he isn't even particularly insightful; I don't know how he still has a job.