How does CZ feel about Courtland Sutton?

Gaede

Reaction score
This guy is most TO-like receiver in this draft. Most beast-like.

Don't know if he'll ever reach that though.

marchetta

Reaction score
Courtland Sutton WR SMU

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Courtland is a big, strong, long legged, with long arms and excellent speed. He gains separation because of his long strides that will cover four yards in two strides. Courtland likes to be physical and although he has the advantage of size against most opponents he doesn’t shy off his routes when running across the field. He has a lot of “nasty” to his game and inside the red zone has no problems using his big body to his advantage. Cortland is a lot faster than most people give him credit for and this year has improved his route running changing gears easily to get himself open. The improvement this year in his change of direction skills and suddenness has shown the ability to improve and take to coaching with excellent maturity. Courtland shows the good hands and quick eye/hand coordination along with excellent body control to adjust to the ball in the air and to catch passes that get to him a little bit quicker than he might have anticipated. He has the talent to be a franchise receiver for the team that selects him and if you doubt that because of the level of competition all I can say is you need to watch more film.

CONCERNS
Courtland has maturity issues on the field and players who are immature on the field send red flags of possible problems off the field. That being said, my off the field immaturity concerns are total conjecture on my part but my on field immaturity concerns are fact and backed up by film. Courtland will drop some balls and his ability to run deep routes come with concerns about his route running but overall this kid (talent wise) has franchise receiver written all over him. It’s up to you if you want to bring a player into your locker room with these immature on the field issues in the hope that he matures right before your very eyes.

BOTTOM LINE
Is Courtland a Dez Bryant clone? The answer for me is yes in just about every way.
That means you have to weigh the talent against how much disruption he might be on the field and in the locker room. Although Courtland has the potential to be a franchise receiver I’m not convinced I want that type of on field immature behavior in my lockerroom. If he acts like this now…how will he act after I give him over a million dollars? Courtland will be selected in the 1st round I suspect by a team willing to put up with his immaturity. But for me, if I’m a coach or a GM or an owner I’m not willing to go to bat and select this kid early in the draft process. The question is… do you have the guts to pass on a potential franchise receiver if you suspect adding him to your team is the key to getting into the Super Bowl? You have to but a grade on him so the next question is how many rounds will you let go by before you do select him? His talent is worthy of a 1st round selection, but his immaturity is worthy of a 7th round selection, so I figure if by some reason he is sitting there in the third or fourth round I would be willing to take a chance but we all know he will be selected before that… unless something happens between now and the draft.

- Drew Boylhart (The Huddle Report) [PARAPHRASED]

reddyuta

Reaction score
I like him but i like a couple of other guys over him.IMO not a great WR with Dak as the QB.

RamziD

Reaction score
Courtland Sutton WR SMU

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

Courtland is a big, strong, long legged, with long arms and excellent speed. He gains separation because of his long strides that will cover four yards in two strides. Courtland likes to be physical and although he has the advantage of size against most opponents he doesn’t shy off his routes when running across the field. He has a lot of “nasty” to his game and inside the red zone has no problems using his big body to his advantage. Cortland is a lot faster than most people give him credit for and this year has improved his route running changing gears easily to get himself open. The improvement this year in his change of direction skills and suddenness has shown the ability to improve and take to coaching with excellent maturity. Courtland shows the good hands and quick eye/hand coordination along with excellent body control to adjust to the ball in the air and to catch passes that get to him a little bit quicker than he might have anticipated. He has the talent to be a franchise receiver for the team that selects him and if you doubt that because of the level of competition all I can say is you need to watch more film.

CONCERNS
Courtland has maturity issues on the field and players who are immature on the field send red flags of possible problems off the field. That being said, my off the field immaturity concerns are total conjecture on my part but my on field immaturity concerns are fact and backed up by film. Courtland will drop some balls and his ability to run deep routes come with concerns about his route running but overall this kid (talent wise) has franchise receiver written all over him. It’s up to you if you want to bring a player into your locker room with these immature on the field issues in the hope that he matures right before your very eyes.

BOTTOM LINE
Is Courtland a Dez Bryant clone? The answer for me is yes in just about every way.
That means you have to weigh the talent against how much disruption he might be on the field and in the locker room. Although Courtland has the potential to be a franchise receiver I’m not convinced I want that type of on field immature behavior in my lockerroom. If he acts like this now…how will he act after I give him over a million dollars? Courtland will be selected in the 1st round I suspect by a team willing to put up with his immaturity. But for me, if I’m a coach or a GM or an owner I’m not willing to go to bat and select this kid early in the draft process. The question is… do you have the guts to pass on a potential franchise receiver if you suspect adding him to your team is the key to getting into the Super Bowl? You have to but a grade on him so the next question is how many rounds will you let go by before you do select him? His talent is worthy of a 1st round selection, but his immaturity is worthy of a 7th round selection, so I figure if by some reason he is sitting there in the third or fourth round I would be willing to take a chance but we all know he will be selected before that… unless something happens between now and the draft.

Would give me pause. Really don't want to draft a guy with maturity/character issues.

Hardline

Reaction score
Courtland Sutton WR SMU

TALENT
ROUND

STRENGTHS

CONCERNS

BOTTOM LINE

He's going at the top to mid 2nd round. He has first round talent and I would seriously consider taking him at 50 depending who's still on the board.

Section446

Reaction score
High ceiling, very raw... It's going to take him a couple seasons to contribute, kind of a Treadwell type.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of his tape, but his 6.5 3 cone at 6'3" 220 was disgusting. That kind of short-area quickness is unbelievable for a man his size.

Before the Combine, I would have pegged him as a second rounder, but with a strong showing at the Combine (his jumps were pretty decent for his size), I think he is a lock for the first. There is definitely some risk involved with him, but he's got the rare size-athleticism combo to be a #1 WR.

garyv

Reaction score
I'm being honest and a huge SMU...fan. In saying that I would be disappointed with Sutton as our pick at #19. I actually have watched him in several games and he reminds me alot of the WR drafted by the Commanders two or three years ago from TCU by the name of Josh Doctson.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm being honest and a huge SMU...fan. In saying that I would be disappointed with Sutton as our pick at #19. I actually have watched him in several games and he reminds me alot of the WR drafted by the Commanders two or three years ago from TCU by the name of Josh Doctson.

That's actually a good comparison.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
He's been working with Anquon Boldin on his route running this off-season, also. Says he knows where some of the weaknesses are in his game and he's sharpening his route skills with Anquon to make sure he can use his short burst to create separation and disguise his route tree. He was interviewed on Sirius XM NFL Radio and he sounded like a bright kid who had no disillusions about what he really needed to work on to succeed at the next level.

Also said he didn't want to be a broke former NFL player so he's also taking some mentoring from Boldin on that aspect of his career, also. So it seems the kid is at least level leaded also. Don't know much about him but the Cowboys were mentioned after the interview as a possibly interested team. Ed McCaffery loved the kid, FWIW.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's been working with Anquon Boldin on his route running this off-season, also. Says he knows where some of the weaknesses are in his game and he's sharpening his route skills with Anquon to make sure he can use his short burst to create separation and disguise his route tree. He was interviewed on Sirius XM NFL Radio and he sounded like a bright kid who had no disillusions about what he really needed to work on to succeed at the next level.

Also said he didn't want to be a broke former NFL player so he's also taking some mentoring from Boldin on that aspect of his career, also. So it seems the kid is at least level leaded also. Don't know much about him but the Cowboys were mentioned after the interview as a possibly interested team. Ed McCaffery loved the kid, FWIW.

Awesome to hear that he's got his head screwed on right.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Wouldnt be too upset if he was our pick at 19 if our board is empty by that point. would consider trading up for him in the 2nd if it wont cost us our 3rd round pick to move up.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He just seems like the type of guy we would take.

Local player, freak size and athleticism, and also a productive player.

The long arms, body control, and ability to demand a double team in college really impress me.

Also, he seems ok in his interviews in front of the camera.

He ran a 4.5 at the combine with a 35.5 inch vert so you have to question his explosiveness some.

Think Sutton is the next Kelvin Benjamin. Guy who is just gonna be there doing enough to get by.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I don't think he'll get the separation at the next level that would make him Dak friendly.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm not a fan of his tape, but his 6.5 3 cone at 6'3" 220 was disgusting. That kind of short-area quickness is unbelievable for a man his size.

Before the Combine, I would have pegged him as a second rounder, but with a strong showing at the Combine (his jumps were pretty decent for his size), I think he is a lock for the first. There is definitely some risk involved with him, but he's got the rare size-athleticism combo to be a #1 WR.
He is my question with his tape.. Can it be improved upon with pro coaching VS SMU coaching. Is that him as a player it was he poorly coached.

Think Poe at Memphis. AWFUL tape. Practically comical. But the thought was Memphis did not coach him well at all and he turned out to be a very quality pro. Could you see a similar case in Sutton