How does Dak get credit for his rookie year but Linehan gets blame since

Brax

Reaction score
Does it make any sense to anyone that everyone credits Dak for his own rookie year, but Linehan doesn't get the same pass? Dak has been average at best since then, but escapes all the blame.

I'll never figure that out, just like I won't be able to figure out how Garrett manages to go through coordinators and still stay without any real success... He is lucky that no team in our division has maintained a dominant roster during his tenure.

If we were in the AFC East, AFC North, NFC North, NFC West we would have been a laughing stock.
How many coaches will Dak kill? Not a big fan of SL or JG but you have to work to limitations of the players. I didn't hear any SL problems in 2016, or until mid 2017, front office made bad choices for 2018 SJ, JJ and JG.. Funny JG, and Dak gets credit for getting to playoffs SL gets fired. SL is the scapegoat so that JG keeps job. If both were gone would of been better. The only chance Dak has since he will be QB for next few years is with a good HC, OC and most importantly a really good QB coach. The DC are really a joke at this point , sad so sad.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If Im looking for positives, its the second half of this 2018 season.

Like many, I consider 2016 a bit of (not totally) an adjustment period for opposing teams, very similar what Washington had a few years ago with RG3.

The ugly and prolonged dip after that was very dusturbing.

But the ship seems more on course the second half of this season with Cooper and the overall team.
I see Dak’s limitations, but guess Im more optinistic he’s on the right track.
Hes getting a contract

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Does it make any sense to anyone that everyone credits Dak for his own rookie year, but Linehan doesn't get the same pass? Dak has been average at best since then, but escapes all the blame.

I'll never figure that out, just like I won't be able to figure out how Garrett manages to go through coordinators and still stay without any real success... He is lucky that no team in our division has maintained a dominant roster during his tenure.

If we were in the AFC East, AFC North, NFC North, NFC West we would have been a laughing stock.
Well actually Dak was the best QB in the NFC the second half of this season. With that said Linehan is not being blamed for anything. The game passed him by and his play calling is why the organization came to that conclusion. Just because Dak had a great rookie year and was great the second half of this season doesnt mean play calling was great. Heck Green Bay just changed coaches because of similar reasons.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
How many coaches will Dak kill? Not a big fan of SL or JG but you have to work to limitations of the players. I didn't hear any SL problems in 2016, or until mid 2017, front office made bad choices for 2018 SJ, JJ and JG.. Funny JG, and Dak gets credit for getting to playoffs SL gets fired. SL is the scapegoat so that JG keeps job. If both were gone would of been better. The only chance Dak has since he will be QB for next few years is with a good HC, OC and most importantly a really good QB coach. The DC are really a joke at this point , sad so sad.

How many seasons does Garrett and Linehan get to kill before they get fired and how many QBs should they be able to work with, before the Cowboys change course and go with a different coaching staff. Or should QB after QB be sacrificed for Garrett and Linehan to keep getting chances. If multiple QBs come during a coaching staff's tenure and the franchise still has a problem with getting to the Superbowl, the the coaching staff is a problem.

I agree on Garrett being gone, but don't get how some act like Linehan is suddenly a great OC, who is being thrown under the bus for Dak. Linehan gets credit for what happened with Romo and Dak? Now Linehan should get credit for Dak's 2016 season and some will point out Romo's 2014 season with Linehan. But, if this is the case, then how much did Linehan manage to accomplish under QBs that weren't Romo or Dak, who played Cowboys QB, when Linehan was OC. Linehan got more QBs than just Dak and Romo to work with and so did Garrett. It's just that Romo and Dak were good or productive enough to win games.

The back up QBs that came in when Romo got hurt, before the 2016 season, prove that Garrett can't just win with any QB. Which goes back to the question of how many QBs should be sacrificed for Garrett to stay

Brax

Reaction score
How many seasons does Garrett and Linehan get to kill before they get fired and how many QBs should they be able to work with, before the Cowboys change course and go with a different coaching staff. Or should QB after QB be sacrificed for Garrett and Linehan to keep getting chances. If multiple QBs come during a coaching staff's tenure and the franchise still has a problem with getting to the Superbowl, the the coaching staff is a problem.

I agree on Garrett being gone, but don't get how some act like Linehan is suddenly a great OC, who is being thrown under the bus for Dak. Linehan gets credit for what happened with Romo and Dak? Now Linehan should get credit for Dak's 2016 season and some will point out Romo's 2014 season with Linehan. But, if this is the case, then how much did Linehan manage to accomplish under QBs that weren't Romo or Dak, who played Cowboys QB, when Linehan was OC. Linehan got more QBs than just Dak and Romo to work with and so did Garrett. It's just that Romo and Dak were good or productive enough to win games.

The back up QBs that came in when Romo got hurt, before the 2016 season, prove that Garrett can't just win with any QB. Which goes back to the question of how many QBs should be sacrificed for Garrett to stay
Do not disagree, My point was these 2 walk scott free (excuse the pun) while all 3 should be held responsible, there is a great old Italian saying the fish stinks from the head first, Jason Garrett should of been the first causality along with SL, and KM right behind. My intention was not to give props to SL but to point that SL as bad as he was, was thrown under the bus and was the OC that called the plays the last 3 seasons (from 2016 playoffs and all those kudos given to JG) and JG fully supported a until JJ put him in his place. If Dak is indeed the QB of the future (and I believe JJ will make him that) then a new HC, OC and QB coach are imperative just to find out what Dallas actually has in Dak. The real reality is JJ runs everything in Dallas and 23 years later it's still a shambles.. Hopefully (seems every year it's hopefully) thing get better. Have a great year.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
How many and for how long will Garrett continue to kill coaches are the questions you should be asking.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Dak knew when to take off and run and he proved that in 2016. He ran the ball a lot more in 2016 than he does now.
When Romo was started at QB he was an excellent passer when scrambling out of the pocket, but Garrett wanted a pure pocket passer and he tied a ball and chain around Romo's ankle.
When Dak got here, similarly Dak has always thrown the ball well on the run, but Garrett still wants that pure pocket passer and it's been quite obvious IMO that Garrett is once again stopping his QB from running or scrambling out of the pocket unless absolutely necessary.
I'm sure one of Garrett's reasons would be to try and prevent injury since we have no viable backup.

Be that as it may, Dak is a dangerous weapon on the run and he's proven that in the past. Garrett is the one restricting that, regardless of his reason.
I also think restricting that run has hurt Dak's game.

That was his rookie year. He has a lot of film on him now, teams shut that down.

Again, you must learn how to throw from the pocket. It's simple as that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
X00av8k.gif

cowboyec

Reaction score
sooo....your saying Linehan shouldn't have been fired....got it.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Because Dak is the developmental player and Lineham is the established coach.
If this has already been posted please excuse me, I didn't take the time to read through 5 pages,, Im cooking corn dogs @Ranching.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Some people don’t get it.

Dallas offense has so many tendencies and plays into those tendencies.
Ya I get it, just about as obvious as headlines on the NY Times.
Bet they run Zeke right off tackle,, doesn't really mater which side.

Lutonio

Reaction score
So where was Romo in 2015 when, according to this board, he wasn't "coaching the worst QB in the NFL"? If we are blaming 2016 on Romo, praytell, why aren't we blaming 2015 on him when he had "better QBs" to "coach" up?

Was his earpiece not working in 2015?

I can't say. But I don't remember seeing shots of him working on the sideline with Weeden and the others. I just always got the sense that Romo was pretty involved in 2016. Maybe he saw what happened in 2015 and didn't want it to repeat and 2016 and pushed for a bigger role in planning?

And "praytell?" Seriously?

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Linehan gets the blame, since he didn't get it done, before Dak became the QB of the Cowboys. If it's all on Dak and not on the coaches, then how come this team didn't get past the divisional round with Romo? I believe that Garrett's time should be limited if we miss the playoffs or get kicked out in the divisional round again next season.

Because back then we didn't have both the league leading rusher and a top 5 scoring defense

BoysForLife

Reaction score
You don't win in this league like this. This weird thing you folks think that if we just start putting in the playbook to "run more", that will answer all our problems

1. You have no idea if Dak is being told not to run
2. Most "runs" in the NFL aren't designed, it's the QB having the awareness in a situational spot to know when to take off

This isn't college football.

X 1,000,000

I swear some of the Prescott wagoners want us to start running a frigging read option

I keep saying if you have a QB whose best weapon is his feet, you don't have a qb

You have a change of pace running back.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Dak rookie year and his drafting was largely credited to Wade Wilson. They let Dak be Dak with Wilson's influence. The next year Linehan took more control of what Dak would do on the field. Wilson was fired and the rest is history.