How Good Are We?

mmohican29

Reaction score
I would say we're good with potential for very, very good.

The D is Super Bowl caliber.
The Offense is 1 and done.
If we can clean up mistakes and penalties, we could shock the world. My bet is we falter in our first road playoff game.

The good news is we have 3 weeks to improve still. The bad news is we likely rest folks and lose sharpness headed into the playoffs.

The Colts on the road will be a nice barometer.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
We will most likely have to beat Seattle, NO and LA, unless say, Chicago beats LA, then we will have to play them, probably at Chicago in the freezing weather.

If we can get through that gauntlet, the AFC including KC we can beat any AFC team. Actually I think we would have a harder time with LA Chargers than KC or even NE. If the Texans, I think we take them too. But I don't think the Texans get that far.
Super Bowl suicide would be playing Rivers or Brady in the Super Bowl. The Cowboys have never beaten either one of those QB's.

I'd look for us to advance to the divisional, but nothing more than that.

blueblood70

Reaction score
we are 8-5 like parcells said you are who your record shows you are until you prove them wrong.. 4th seed Division winner in a down year in the NFC..id say they are lucky it wasn't 2017 where it would take 11-12 wins to win it..lets play one at atime and let this play out and revisit the year on whole..if they go one and done in the playoffs well the 3-5 team starts to be discussed as it was waste..

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
With the playoffs, forget the record. Had Dak been playing good football early in the season, we'd be 12-1 right now. That is a fact!!! Not only that, we'd have smashed many of our opponents. Ok, so we are in fact 8-5, but here is the deal....Forget records come playoff time. It's a new season and all that matters is who is peaking at the right time. We are. We peaking and improving exactly when we want to be. My only concern is we are likely going to drop one more game and I'm hoping it makes us even more hungry rather then letting the air out. This team is on fire and playing lights out every game now. Forget the score of the Eagles game, we dominated them!!! Both games! Look at the stats and let it blow your mind. The issues are still Dak. He needs to improve and we start running away with these games.

InTheZone

Reaction score
How good are we? We're average/below average if Dak settles for check downs all game and can't connect mid to deep passes, basically not being a passing threat whatsoever. We have the support around him to win some or most of these low scoring games if he fails.

But if we get the Dak we saw in the 4th quarter, very similar to his rookie year (not perfect, but being able to execute those longer passes hides a lot of his flaws) we can run the table. I don't know how long we can keep this high level of support around the qb, but they need to make a SB push for the 2018 & 2019 season before this team may start losing some players if we're going to overpay the QB.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
If the playoffs were today I'm not sure we couldn't beat Seattle, but if we did lose I'm sure it would be because they made Dak beat them, which is everybody's game plan.
Seems like a big fail of the last 5 games/teams if that is really the plan. Still alot of work to be done by our qb.

Choke on that eagles.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
With the playoffs, forget the record. Had Dak been playing good football early in the season, we'd be 12-1 right now. That is a fact!!! Not only that, we'd have smashed many of our opponents. Ok, so we are in fact 8-5, but here is the deal....Forget records come playoff time. It's a new season and all that matters is who is peaking at the right time. We are. We peaking and improving exactly when we want to be. My only concern is we are likely going to drop one more game and I'm hoping it makes us even more hungry rather then letting the air out. This team is on fire and playing lights out every game now. Forget the score of the Eagles game, we dominated them!!! Both games! Look at the stats and let it blow your mind. The issues are still Dak. He needs to improve and we start running away with these games.

Luckily they made a move for cooper or Dallas is still sitting at 4-5 wins.

cristglo

Reaction score
If your like me some of you have been thinking in the back of your minds "Ok when is the Cowboys of old going to show up" For five weeks they have been showing up. Not always pretty but getting the job done. Ever since that week started with Aikman and then lane Johnson remarks IMO the most embarrassing time to be a Cowboy fan. Every broadcaster was talking trash about us heck i was even talking trash about them. Couldnt believe how bad this team was playing. Now I want to send flowers to Lane because he woke up a sleeping Giant in the Cowboys and put the NFL world on notice. We may not reach the SB this year but IMO this young team showed heart and courage that I havent seen in the Cowboys franchise in a long long time. This core group is special and we have a solid foundation to build on mark my words! Yes we have things that need to be fixed but you cant teach a kid will and grit thats is something you ether have or dont. I will never forget that week as long as I live of how bad I felt when EVERYBODY talked trash about us and how bad I wanted to beat those Eagles but didnt feel like we could and they showed me and the world NOT TO GIVE UP ON THEM. So it doesnt matter to me Im not counting them out they have showed me to believe in them they have hearts like LIONS!

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
We're good enough to qualify for the playoffs after a 3-5 start and a string of wins since. That's quite a nice jump from our recent past!

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
If your like me some of you have been thinking in the back of your minds "Ok when is the Cowboys of old going to show up" For five weeks they have been showing up. Not always pretty but getting the job done. Ever since that week started with Aikman and then lane Johnson remarks IMO the most embarrassing time to be a Cowboy fan. Every broadcaster was talking trash about us heck i was even talking trash about them. Couldnt believe how bad this team was playing. Now I want to send flowers to Lane because he woke up a sleeping Giant in the Cowboys and put the NFL world on notice. We may not reach the SB this year but IMO this young team showed heart and courage that I havent seen in the Cowboys franchise in a long long time. This core group is special and we have a solid foundation to build on mark my words! Yes we have things that need to be fixed but you cant teach a kid will and grit thats is something you ether have or dont. I will never forget that week as long as I live of how bad I felt when EVERYBODY talked trash about us and how bad I wanted to beat those Eagles but didnt feel like we could and they showed me and the world NOT TO GIVE UP ON THEM. So it doesnt matter to me Im not counting them out they have showed me to believe in them they have hearts like LIONS!
This team reminds me of the 93 Cowboys. The 93 Cowboys in my humble opinion were not quite as good as the 92 Cowboys, but when they needed to step up and get a win? It was as good as a done deal. The only thing missing to compare us to that team, is likely the QB. Dak still needs to improve his game and he is finally showing signs of that. Once Dak is as good as any top 10-15 NFL QB? This team will roll and be virtually unbeatable.

cristglo

Reaction score
This team reminds me of the 93 Cowboys. The 93 Cowboys in my humble opinion were not quite as good as the 92 Cowboys, but when they needed to step up and get a win? It was as good as a done deal. The only thing missing to compare us to that team, is likely the QB. Dak still needs to improve his game and he is finally showing signs of that. Once Dak is as good as any top 10-15 NFL QB? This team will roll and be virtually unbeatable.
Its hard to tell a team that they are suppose to lose we they think they will win lol

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
5 wins in a row is fairly consistent dont you Think? The inconsistency that played the team earlt in the year are gone for the most lart
It is yes but within each game we can be anything from awful to unstoppable. This is especially true of the offense of course.

Falco78

Reaction score
Seattle and Nawlins are still the 2 I fear the most, but none of these are by any means not Superbowl worthy teams right now

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Too mistake prone IMO. They’ve been pretty good at avoiding penalties however with so many backups playing on offense I’m afraid that trend is reversing. And then there are the unnecessary sacks, unnecessary fumbles, missed open WRs for scores. If that stuff isn’t eliminated or reduced I don’t see how you win playoffs games on the road against good teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If we had at the beginning of the seasons what we have right now, we would now be slotted for a first round bye in the playoffs. We have a very talented team that is young, hungry and play hard for each other. They are poised to shock the world.

Cebrin

Reaction score
Outside of te I think it's a mostly elite team with a barely serviceable qb! If the playoffs were today they would lose to Seattle, delusions would be crushed and the shrill screaming and vigorous stomping of wittle feet here would be deafening!
Any given Sunday, bud. We were supposed to he blown out by The Saints, too.

Cebrin

Reaction score
We will most likely have to beat Seattle, NO and LA, unless say, Chicago beats LA, then we will have to play them, probably at Chicago in the freezing weather.

If we can get through that gauntlet, the AFC including KC we can beat any AFC team. Actually I think we would have a harder time with LA Chargers than KC or even NE. If the Texans, I think we take them too. But I don't think the Texans get that far.
Our run game makes me confident during winter, and against high scoring teams that throw the ball a lot. Rams are really good, tho. No denying that.

Cebrin

Reaction score

I agree to a degree. Dak has certainly been part of the losses, some more than others. Our line, and poor game preparation has some blame, too.

cern

Reaction score
I would say we're good with potential for very, very good.

The D is Super Bowl caliber.
The Offense is 1 and done.
If we can clean up mistakes and penalties, we could shock the world. My bet is we falter in our first road playoff game.

The good news is we have 3 weeks to improve still. The bad news is we likely rest folks and lose sharpness headed into the playoffs.

The Colts on the road will be a nice barometer.
agree. the colts will be a good test. also a young team on the rise. beat them and we win the nfce.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5 wins in a row is fairly consistent dont you Think? The inconsistency that played the team earlt in the year are gone for the most lart

They all come back in the red zone.
:banghead: