How good or bad do you feel about the Cowboys 2019 season

75boyz

Reaction score
Personnel wise I feel we improved to maintain what we started. The key question is not the personnel on the field but the ones on the sidelines calling the plays. Moore is new variable on how well the offense goes. We are better in a few positions (Cobb, Fredbeard back), and status quo in others (TE and QB).

Defensively they have the talent and depth to be better (D-Line depth) and that could be the difference maker that carries things while the offense sorts out it’s new identity. Looking at our opponents there are not too many I feel we are inferior to on the field.

Giants x2, Skins x2, Dolphins, Jets, Lions, Bills, Bears and Vikings.

Teams we are out matched coaching wise and/or are inferior to at QB:

Eagles x2, Rams, Saints, Pats.

Great year prediction:

10/10 on teams from first group and go 3/5 in second group. 13-3 and match 2016.

Very Good Year (and my real prediction):

8/10 out of first group. 2/6 in second and go 10-6.

If we get killed with injuries, Dak gets knocked out for year/extended time, or Moore is a complete bust we could be looking at a 4/5 win season ala 2015. It smells Weeden bad if Dak is done. They need a solid veteran backup.

Nice post.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
Barring serious injury to key players this year could be memorable. I’m excited to see what happens. No team in the NFC scares me.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If the team has good health, I feel good about making the playoffs and if the Eagles have a wounded QB, I feel good about winning the division.

However, I feel good going into the season because I am looking forward to seeing how this offense is with Moore. Not necessarily good about the season because of that but that is the most intriguing part of this season. You don't see an inexperienced OC take over often unless you count the last time the Cowboys did that with Garrett. Another one destined for coaching.

But as usual, I know nothing. When I think they're climbing, they fall and vice versa. So, I just let this unfold before my eyes and enjoy the games one at a time until it becomes a season, somewhere around 8 games in. However, did I get a surprise last season or what?

Welcome to my world, sir. We're fairly in tune with our hopes and our doubts as well. We'll just watch 'em, be intrigued and enjoy it! ;)

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I feel pretty good. We got a bit deeper, possibly a bit more talented. Team should be able to compete. Garrett's back is against the wall so the coaching staff will be focussed. Moore's novelty alone should make it more difficult to game plan against us since there won't be any tape to look at. Schedule seems reasonable.

Yeah. Pretty good. Go get me Karl Joseph now and I'll give you a bit of the McGregor strut.
Agreed, except for wanting Karl Joseph. He's not that good. There is a reason the Raiders are losing interest in giving him the 5th year option. He's too short (5'10") for a safety, plus there is word he still suffers somewhat from the torn achilles he suffered out of college and headed to the draft 3 years ago.

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
Agreed, except for wanting Karl Joseph. He's not that good. There is a reason the Raiders are losing interest in giving him the 5th year option. He's too short (5'10") for a safety, plus there is word he still suffers somewhat from the torn achilles he suffered out of college and headed to the draft 3 years ago.

Honestly, it's not like I've watched a ton of tape on the guy. But I liked the kid and the team seemed to have some interest in him coming out of college. The Raiders have some excess at SS, we have some possible excess at a few spots where they're in need and he would likely provide an upgrade over what we have at SS.

The option year is not cheap. Most teams extend before it comes up in order to reduce the hit. But if you're not extending the guy because he's not really part of your future (they just drafted Abram, so he's likely not) you'd want to think really hard before picking up that option year. It's a pricey one-year rental. You can decide you don't want to pay that rental cost without it being a huge knock on the player.

As for his size, you may be right. Bob Sanders was an impact SS at 5'9" but he seemed to be injured half the time.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Same for me but I am a little more optimistic over pessimistic.

Many fans, as well as all teams at this time of the year have on those rose colored glasses. This is the year we. turn it around, this is the year we will go further. And on paper we should, as other teams should think the same way. As many times, fans, as I do it too, over estimate that look on paper.

Even after TC roster cut downs, and many of those players we thought we could trade as we think it is a deep roster. Turns out we can't trade them. However, none released or very few will be claimed by other teams and those who are, really don't make a huge impact.

Anyway, I am more optimistic right now. But need to see how TC looks, and even then it is not a true indication, since this staff refuses to play its starters in PS games. Maybe with more at OC they will play more to get in actually game reps.
I hope they play them more than last year's TC.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
With the difficulty of our schedule this year, that's the high end of my expectations with 8-8 being the low end. I hope you're right.
I like to think that we got better and are up to the task. We get Fredbeard back, KM is calling plays, and we have some of the same guys playing together. That's my homer optimism having me think we can go 11-5 (beating NO again and taking GB to the bank.) Worst case: 9-7.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are a legitimate playoff team. If not for Zeke's suspension, and the inability of Scott Linehan to adjust to him being absent for 6 games, the Cowboys would have 3 consecutive playoff seasons, going on a 4th. Jerry Jones is correct is saying that there is no tangible reason the Cowboys shouldn't be even better in 2019. Does that mean more wins? Not necessarily, since they play a 1st place schedule. But we shouldn't see the same struggles the Cowboys experience early last season.

The Cowboys finished the back half of 2018 with 7 wins and 1 loss. There is not a good reason to believe they should lose more than 6 games next season, and an improvement in their record is a real possibility, maybe even a probability. The bigger question is how improved are other NFC teams going to be in 2019 in comparison to the Cowboys.
2017 was a true anomaly due to Zeke's absence and too many changes in the line.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like to think that we got better and are up to the task. We get Fredbeard back, KM is calling plays, and we have some of the same guys playing together. That's my homer optimism having me think we can go 11-5 (beating NO again and taking GB to the bank.) Worst case: 9-7.

No question but what 11-5 would be a welcome finish to our oncoming yearly season.

I'm usually keeping an arms-length perspective at this juncture for a successful finish.

I'm certainly inclined to pull for our guys to be a pleasant surprise, despite my caution.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It all depends on Dak's development. He has weapons. The OL seems poised to return to 2014 levels. Zeke looks like he did at Ohio State, physically. The defense should send at least 3 players to the pro bowl.

We are due to make a run. It all depends on our QB's dakuracy, poise in the pocket, and footwork. If Kitna can help him overcome some of his deficiencies (most of the time), I honestly don't fear any team.

Dak is going to continue to make trolls like you look silly.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
As every year over the last 20+ years, we're a 50/50 shot to make the playoffs, and if we do, we'll fail before an NFC championship opportunity. It's become our identity. It's who we are until some one come in and breaks the mold..

BigD_95

Reaction score
Now that the offseason is pretty much in the book, and we know what we are going into 2019 with, how good or bad do you feel about the upcoming season?

I think this will be Garrets last year as head coach which means the season will be bad but it will also be good because its Garrets last year as head coach.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Dak is going to continue to make trolls like you look silly.
How am I a troll? Nowhere in my post did I disparage Dak. He does have accuracy problems. His pocket presence needs work. He does have weapons. He does have an improved OL. Etc., etc. He has everything he needs to succeed.

We also have the makings of a top 5 defense, but we will go as far as Dak's development as a franchise QB.

PS - a troll wouldn't buy Dak's Jersey. ;) I've had his jersey since week 6 of the 2016 season.

Don't take my constructive criticism as me trolling :)

Johnny23

Reaction score
I am not sure. History says we blow it and suck this year. Going over our last four playoff appearances. So right now I want to wait and see.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Now that the offseason is pretty much in the book, and we know what we are going into 2019 with, how good or bad do you feel about the upcoming season?
It feels like the team sees a window of opportunity to win big in '19. Our Boys operated this off season with an all in mentality, it just feels different than in years past.

If they don't make the big dance, Garrett's gone. If they do, he stays. Either way, Cowboys fans will be happy. :D