1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys news ..

How has the Coronavirus affected your work?

Discussion in 'Coronavirus Zone' started by ShortRound131, Mar 21, 2020.

1. ShortRound131

ShortRound131 Well-Known Member

14,124 Messages
    47,068 Likes Received
    Just curious how ya'll have been affected at work?

I work at a media company, we have publications and events. Mostly in the mortgage world. We've canceled 8 event, which is a big hit. Our clients are big companies and are trimming their spending for the summer and are all on a wait and see mode.

Our big events are in the fall, hoping this thing dies down by then. Our company has all been working from home for the past two weeks and will be starting our third remote work week this Monday.

Hope ya'll are doing ok.

2. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing

10,010 Messages
    12,184 Likes Received
    We started telework mandatory 3/20. (feds in DC) Like the break tbh, makes you realize how little you really have to be in the office these days with telecommunications, encrypted emails, shared dashboards/software spec. databases. As of right now, I think the contractors are the ones losing money with the shutdown as is usually the case but this is esp harsh seeing how out of their hands this situation is.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  3. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

7,122 Messages
    6,219 Likes Received
    I'm one of the lucky one's so to speak. Both lucky and unlucky. Unlucky that I am a toll collector, probably one of the worst jobs you can have right now that isn't related to health care. God bless them. Instead of working my normal 5 day work week I will be alternating 2 and 3 day work weeks with 5 days off in between, not including weekends. All fully paid. That's where I'm lucky. So I go in to work until Wednesday, off until the following Thursday, work 2 days and then off the entire next week and rinse and repeat. So yeah, it's a workplace dream if I don't catch anything.

4. ShortRound131

ShortRound131 Well-Known Member

14,124 Messages
    47,068 Likes Received
    Wow, stay safe

SlammedZero and Flamma like this.
  5. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

7,122 Messages
    6,219 Likes Received
    Thanks. Not looking forward to it.

ShortRound131 likes this.
  6. stiletto

stiletto Well-Known Member

4,911 Messages
    5,896 Likes Received
    Same, feel very fortunate to work from home. I get a lot done teleworking, I think there is less distraction sometimes. Our agency is allowing contractors to also telework. They seem thankful to be able to as well. It might be like this for awhile..

7. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

11,306 Messages
    10,769 Likes Received
    They're still making people pay tolls? You'd think they'd cut us a break on another fine we have to pay, considering they cut most of our jobs.

8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

20,612 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    So far my firm is open but we are cutting our draws and having to invest in firm to provide more capital to weather the storm. Our courts are closed which impacts my practice

ShortRound131 likes this.
  9. Flamma

Flamma Well-Known Member

7,122 Messages
    6,219 Likes Received
    Dude, it generates 1.5 billion dollars a year. They will never remove that. They're going to raise the tolls by 36% this year. The last toll hike was in 2012. I'm fortunate as an employee that I never have to pay tolls. It's an absolute rip off.

SlammedZero, BigStar, Jake and 2 others like this.
  10. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

3,114 Messages
    1,386 Likes Received
    Where I work they finally are letting us contractors in our department work remotely starting this week. I'm looking forward to it, get away from all the people who come in to work hacking, sneezing, etc.

Air Force One and BigStar like this.
  11. TheDude

TheDude McLovin

9,219 Messages
    7,461 Likes Received
    Financial institution. LA. mandatory work from home. On calls with FED and OCC daily. Pain in the ***

Whyjerry and ShortRound131 like this.
  12. glimmerman

glimmerman Well-Known Member

18,676 Messages
    19,373 Likes Received
    Business slowed up a bit this week. But not as much as we thought. Most of our clients are old. Lol.

Nova and ShortRound131 like this.
  13. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

2,761 Messages
    3,693 Likes Received
    I manage a sportsmans club and do landscaping and Tree work . In all honesty this situation has made it much easier to do my job . Our club has closed down for the duration and I am now able to get all the things done that were difficult to do with people here shooting 7 days a week .

At present we are seal coating the parking lot and driveway and it is going great as we have nobody to work around . The grass has not started up yet but shortly we will be adding the cutting of 30 acres of grass into our work week .

I live on the property so security is a full time job that I have to stay on top of at all times patrolling over 60 wooded acres daily .

All in all its a great time to get a lot of work done I am outside pretty much all day anyway and only have to have contact with people if I chose to go to a convenience store or get gas . Then I carry a bottle of rubbing alcohol a towel that I keep Zip Lock soaked with the alcohol and just wipe everything down .

I have made an Art form of social distancing a long time ago . A good hunting dog , family and a few good friends that love to hunt ,fish ,shoot and watch football , all I really need and a good truck goes without saying.

14. T-RO

T-RO Benched

10,267 Messages
    9,291 Likes Received
    I likely don't agree with the governor of Illinois on a great number of things. Do agree on this:

"I fully recognize that in some cases, I am choosing between saving people's lives and saving people's livelihoods. But ultimately you can't have a livelihood if you don't have your life."​

BigStar and ShortRound131 like this.
  15. glimmerman

18,676 Messages
    19,373 Likes Received
    What kind of truck. I am a Dodge man.

Whyjerry and Blackrain like this.
  16. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

8,313 Messages
    1,485 Likes Received
    Well... I was just named a VP for my new company and I have to fly down from KC to my new market. Florida. Flying this morning. Appears I will have the plane to myself.

Whyjerry and glimmerman like this.
  17. glimmerman

18,676 Messages
    19,373 Likes Received
    Congrats and welcome to Florida. It’s gonna be hot today.

JBond likes this.
  18. shabazz

shabazz Well-Known Member

4,981 Messages
    8,576 Likes Received
    Ironically it may be the safest flight you will ever get on.

BoysForLife and JBond like this.
  19. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

2,761 Messages
    3,693 Likes Received
    Im with you my Cowboy brother . I have 4 Dodge Power Wagons and one GMC that we affectionately call the Xmas tree truck because if you needed a Xmas tree it could probably haul it back to the house LOL

Love my PWs 05 ,10 11 and an 18 Factory 2 in lift skid plates 4.56 gears lockers and factory 12000lb Winch The Club has been here since 1939 and never been timbered so we have giant trees go down at times that need to be cleared and these trucks are incredible work trucks .

Never thought I would use a Winch so much till I had a truck that had a real good one . We had the John Deer 50-65 stuck Axle deep in the swamp the other day and just chained the back of the 2010 truck to a big Oak hooked the cable up and walked that tractor right out of there .

I am putting a new hitch on the 06 GMC because it and the bumper rusted through . I know real suprise there LOL but got under the 05 Power wagon for comparison and the receiver hitch is much heavier duty and best yet not rusted . Both trucks used for work and plowing Dodge has 140k and nothing hardly rusted GMC has 40k and I have replaced every brake line ,calipers, rotors, brakes and anything else that could rust it way to nothingness Trans lines Oil cooler lines sheesh it never ends with that truck .

glimmerman likes this.
  20. Jake

Jake Curmudgeon

20,388 Messages
    38,280 Likes Received
    Finance Director in healthcare so we can't close down and I still have 200 people to pay. We're outpatient for medical treatment so that helps but we have several group homes housing over 120 people. The big concern is if we have a breakout in one of the homes. These folks aren't in the best of health in the first place.

Office staff are mostly working remotely now but I have to be on site daily. The IT department is mine as well so all of this technology has to remain operational, but I am having IT support alternate working from home. Just doing whatever we can to minimize traffic in the facilities.

Safe to say revenue is taking a hit. We're okay for now but I've only got so much cash and credit available. If this goes on for months meeting payroll becomes a concern as we can only layoff so many people. Hoping for some positive news but don't see it coming soon.