Twitter: How important is DeMarcus Lawrence to the Cowboys defense?

Beaker42

Reaction score
He needs to do more to stop explosive runs.;)

His value will become more evident when Quinn gets going.
He needs more teepee. JK

The first 2 stats I think are telling us that teams pass MORE with him in the game than without? That seems to me that teams don’t fear him as much as they should?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
4 tackles and 1.5 sacks? No he is not. I like him but he must pick it up. I have watched great players take on the double teams and still destroy an offense, he is not. I'm not saying he can't but we need better pressure and sacks. I don't care what excuses others may throw out fact is you pay that kind of cash expectation are and should be expected and those numbers are not very good

I guess you didn't read/understand the OP.

Here I'll link it again

Yes Dlaw is getting doubled at the highest rate in the league, and yet he's still getting pressure. And yes these numbers are VERY GOOD

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
He needs more teepee. JK

The first 2 stats I think are telling us that teams pass MORE with him in the game than without? That seems to me that teams don’t fear him as much as they should?

My only guess to explain this is that they take him out on early downs(even though he's a great run defender) to rest him for the later passing downs.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tank is doing a great job at all the things that is expected of a star DE and Defensive leader except for Sacks.

I am sure the sacks will come and we will all forget about his 1 sack at the start of the season.

Star DE's get double teamed ...... And they get sacks anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I guess you didn't read/understand the OP.

Here I'll link it again

Yes Dlaw is getting doubled at the highest rate in the league, and yet he's still getting pressure. And yes these numbers are VERY GOOD

He is important but just as he used stats to demand the pay those stats are not there right now. He gets double teamed? Yes and did so last year. Fact is he missed a lot of time this off season and training camp because he refused to get surgery done then has it done once his deal was done and is not playing to the level he has shown in recent times and that has to change.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Uhhh, like no less than 95% important. We paid him to be that. He’s been that. He’s a huge part of this defense and a leader on and off the field. Let’s not forget he’s a homegrown acquisition. Not to make him out to be a product. Dude is awesome!

Not sure I totally understand the question.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Uhhh, like no less than 95% important. We paid him to be that. He’s been that. He’s a huge part of this defense and a leader on and off the field. Let’s not forget he’s a homegrown acquisition. Not to make him out to be a product. Dude is awesome!

Not sure I totally understand the question.
Did you read the graph

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't need to. The guy who did it literally quoted you.

Just take a seat, my son!
I did

In another thread

Ohhh much better title
Kid is the best backup rb we have had since Hershel was backing up Emmitt.

I don't want too ....... But he might become a valuable trade piece to a team desperate for a running back in the future

Awesome. I found that post.

Slight problem. Herschel Walker was never a backup to Emmitt.

Herschel played FB, WR & returned kicks in 96 & 97.

He had 10 carries in 96 and 6 carries in 97.

Sherman Williams was the backup RB in 96 and 97 (the years that both Walker and Emmitt were on the team together).

Herschel Walker was only a backup RB for the Cowboys in 1986.

Walker passed Dorsett in carries and starts in 87.

A reference to a RB being the best backup implies the best backup since 1986.

@QuincyCarterEra should have recognized that when he referenced the post without actually quoting it.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Sherman Williams was the backup RB in 96 and 97 (the years that both Walker and Emmitt were on the team together).

@QuincyCarterEra should have recognized that when he referenced the post without actually quoting it.

Oh my bad ...... I thought he was the primary backup back then ......

quickccc

Reaction score
You'll see him more now that Quinn is there. They are going to be getting after the QB. But don't expect Teddy to be dropping back and throwing darts downfield. They are going to be running the ball and throwing short quick passes. As soon as Teddy gets to the end of his drop, the ball will be out. It's time for the Cowboys to be ready for that. Because I don't think Teddy will be sitting in the pocket for long, if at all.

I think you’re right in expecting Teddy’s short dink and dunk passes for most of the game, passes combined with how they exploit Kamara against us.
they will want to have Teddy build and gain confidence, rhythm and momentum and as always I expect misdirection plays and possibly quick huddle vs our defense.
we tend to suspecticible to that.

But I do think Payton will have Teddy toss a few deep vs Chido Awuzie and see if they can jolt his confidence and get big momentum plays on him. Either Chido will respond by playing well …or he won’t.

Seeing quinn flying off the edge reminds me we saw Gregory last year, flying off the edge. And sure it wasn’t Tunsil, but whoever was at LT simply could not handle Quinn’s get off burst.

I’m not buying into the double team excuse for DLaw as 1) much of the time, he was singled up,.. 2) when you’re rewarded 100 million, you’re expected to beat occasional double teams
as most top tier edge rushers do. and that's when a coach needs to devise plays that will free him up from doubles
I’ve to wonder if DLaw needs some time to eventually get back into his form.
Because we simply need to count on our bookends edge rushers as we still continue to have issues at the DT rush.

Cowboys 24

Saints -17

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

I recognized that it was a dumb post. Which is exactly what I said.
Glad you could find it and spent all that time on something so pointless lol.

So yes, as I said, it would looked REALLY dumb to chime in like you did if someone had made that claim.

You've had a rough couple of weeks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh my bad ...... I thought he was the primary backup back then ......
No problem.

I took it as a post intended to be humorous anyway.

QuincyCarter tried to use it out of context and intentionally didn't quote your actual post because it would have shown the context.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No problem.

QuincyCarter tried to use it out of context and intentionally didn't quote your actual post because it would have shown the context.

Yes he seems to really have a chip on his shoulder ........ I guess someone changing his threads title made it worse.

Poor little fella

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My only guess to explain this is that they take him out on early downs(even though he's a great run defender) to rest him for the later passing downs.
He needs more teepee. JK

No, the Cowboys generally sub DEs by series much more than by downs.

The Cowboys have been way up on the scoreboard at some point in each of the first 3 games.

Teams that are significantly behind on the scoreboard primarily pass in 3rd and definitely in the 4th quarter.

The Cowboys were giving backups more snaps in the 3rd and 4th quarters of these games.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
No problem.

Out of context? I guess you don't actually know what that means.

He claimed something of mine was dumb. I replied with his claim not even 15 minutes prior to that, with his exact quote about Pollard being the best backup. Not a single thing could even be considered slightly out of context.

And the losses keep piling up.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think you’re right in expecting Teddy’s short dink and dunk passes for most of the game, passes combined with how they exploit Kamara against us.
they will want to have Teddy build and gain confidence, rhythm and momentum and as always I expect misdirection plays and possibly quick huddle vs our defense.
we tend to suspecticible to that.

But I do think Payton will have Teddy toss a few deep vs Chido Awuzie and see if they can jolt his confidence and get big momentum plays on him. Either Chido will respond by playing well …or he won’t.

Seeing quinn flying off the edge reminds me we saw Gregory last year, flying off the edge. And sure it wasn’t Tunsil, but whoever was at LT simply could not handle Quinn’s get off burst.

I’m not buying into the double team excuse for DLaw as 1) much of the time, he was singled up,.. 2) when you’re rewarded 100 million, you’re expected to beat occasional double teams
as most top tier edge rushers do. and that's when a coach needs to devise plays that will free him up from doubles
I’ve to wonder if DLaw needs some time to eventually get back into his form.
Because we simply need to count on our bookends edge rushers as we still continue to have issues at the DT rush.

Cowboys 24

Saints -17

DLaw was doubled on all of the 3rd down plays if it was 3rd and 4 or longer in the Miami game.

He was also doubled on 2nd & long plays with the offense in shotgun and the RB aligned next to the QB (i.e. Passing Formations).

The Cowboys got good pressure on 3rd downs and those other obvious passing situations. They didn't rack up sacks or even a lot of QB hits, but they did get good pressure.

They used a 3 man DLine often in those situations with Jaylon as the pseudo 4th DL moving around and often lining up on or almost on the line.

The Pats did a lot of that to the Rams in the Super Bowl. They would have the DEs with their hand down but the interior of the DL (usually 1 DL and LBs) would stand around until sometime after the QB had lined up and started his process. The Pats did it to confuse the Rams OLine more than to confuse the QB.

The 3 DL alignment makes it easier for offenses to double DLaw but harder to determine where other rusher are coming from.

If the Cowboys have success with Jaylon and others rushing, then offenses will quit doubling DLaw.

The key is that the Cowboys must avoid confusing themselves when they mix things up.

Overall the Cowboys have been mixed things up on defense this year and either doing thing they did do last year or at least emphasizing some things they didn't emphasize last year.

The Cowboys really went all in mixing things up on defense in the Miami game. I think they were testing defensive concepts to see what worked and to see what needed to be tweaked or not used in the future.