How in the world did the Saints build this defense?

ultron

Reaction score
How’d they get such a good defense AND have a top 3 WR, top 5 RB, and Drew freakin Brees (who happens to hold just about every meaningful record a QB can hold)... oh and a very solid Oline?!

Forgot about Will Lutz who is certainly a top 5 kicker.

The part that sucks is Sean Payton was once on the Cowboys staff and would’ve certainly accepted a head coaching position here when Parcells split.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
How’d they get such a good defense AND have a top 3 WR, top 5 RB, and Drew freakin Brees (who happens to hold just about every meaningful record a QB can hold)... oh and a very solid Oline?!

The part that sucks is Sean Payton was once on the Cowboys staff and would’ve certainly accepted a head coaching position here when Parcells split.

They don't have Jerry or Stephen.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

took them a loooong time to build the defense.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah they dont go telling themselves they draft better than they do and are smarter than everyone else by not signing free agents because you have to overpay.

They dont wait for bargains that have lost a half a step, or guys that agree with the idea that it is a privilege to be a Dallas Cowboy.

TWOK11

Reaction score
They’ve got a bunch of guys still on their rookie deals on that side of the ball. Marcus Williams, Alex Anzalone, Sheldon Rankins, Trey Hendrickson, Marcus Davenport and Marshon Lattimore.

So the answer is very good drafting, but they’re in trouble after this year. They’ll likely lose Brees plus at least three guys from the above list over the next two years.

Knotamus

Reaction score
Wow, guys.. don’t slobber too much over that black and gold. I thought this was a Cowboys fan site!

Kidding aside, I agreed the Saints have drafted well, those rookie contracts help build teams. But let’s not give too much credit to HC Peyton for his “bounty gate” SB run TEN years ago. They literally incentivized knocking opponents out of games. That’s dirty.. not my kind of football.

That said, they also have a HoF QB that took a pay cut to stay in New Orleans at $23mil. Their big named players have been paid with back loaded contracts that will start hitting their salary cap big time, next season.

They have 1-2year window w/ Brees and plan on capitalizing on it. Afterwards, that team will be dismantled just as fast. So sure.. drool over it while it last.

Last edited:

Knotamus

Reaction score
They’ve got a bunch of guys still on their rookie deals on that side of the ball. Marcus Williams, Alex Anzalone, Sheldon Rankins, Trey Hendrickson, Marcus Davenport and Marshon Lattimore.

So the answer is very good drafting, but they’re in trouble after this year. They’ll likely lose Brees plus at least three guys from the above list over the next two years.
I literally was typing something similar when you posted this..

It’s easy to see, Follow the money.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Well, Drew Brees' contract being only about 60% of what it should be allows them to fill in gaps on the defense with quality FA signings. Same thing Brady did for NE.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Well, Drew Brees' contract being only about 60% of what it should be allows them to fill in gaps on the defense with quality FA signings. Same thing Brady did for NE.

And that allows them to be competitive as hell. This is why I don't want to see them pay Dak $40 million, it will wreck the ability for the franchise to field a competitive team.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Sean Payton has had Drew Brees for 15 years. The reason he only has one championship to show for it is because most years the defense wasn't good enough.

Watching the second quarter of this game and I'm not quite ready to compare this bunch to Doomsday or the Steel Curtain. :rolleyes:

Jfconrow

Reaction score
I’m sold. Only reason we shouldn’t go OL early next year is for a DL or LB. The offense is good get a dang defense.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Wow, guys.. don’t slobber too much over that black and gold. I thought this was a Cowboys fan site!

Kidding aside, I agreed the Saints have drafted well, those rookie contracts help build teams. But let’s not give too much credit to HC Peyton for his “bounty gate” SB run TEN years ago. They literally incentivized knocking opponents out of games. That’s dirty.. not my kind of football.

That said, they also have a HoF QB that took a pay cut to stay in New Orleans at $23mil. Their big named players have been paid with back loaded contracts that will start hitting their salary cap big time, next season.

They have 1-2year window w/ Brees and plan on capitalizing on it. Afterwards, that team will be dismantled just as fast. So sure.. drool over it while it last.

Im actually drooling over both running backs. Big play guys.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Home grown means too much to Jerry. He always wants to show people how right he is. That's why he kept Garrett for so long and that why he over pays guys like DLaw. In Dallas it's a family. In New Orleans is a business. If Jerry could stop treating players and coaches like family. And start treating them like employees, we could build a team like the Saints.
:hammer:

Hennessy_King

Reaction score