How Jayron Kearse became Dan Quinn’s ‘master key’

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
He was outstanding. The best value the team has ever gotten in free agency.
I think he had a great year and along with Parsons help solidly the defense. I can’t go best value with guys like Novecek, Rocket, James Washington, Ray Donaldson, and Zach Thomas. Value for his cost I see what your saying.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was outstanding. The best value the team has ever gotten in free agency.

Maybe. Just off the top of my head, Laurent Robinson was pretty good value (54 receptions, 858 yards, 11 TDs). I'm sure there are some others if I wanted to take time to think about it.

pgreptom

Reaction score
Maybe. Just off the top of my head, Laurent Robinson was pretty good value (54 receptions, 858 yards, 11 TDs). I'm sure there are some others if I wanted to take time to think about it.

You probably nailed this.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I think he had a great year and along with Parsons help solidly the defense. I can’t go best value with guys like Novecek, Rocket, James Washington, Ray Donaldson, and Zach Thomas. Value for his cost I see what your saying.
Good response.

Although Novacek and Washington were both under the old Plan B system.

Damn I'm old!

The others, yeah.....but we are talking about 30 years.

Dollar for dollar Kearse probably ranks behind only Donaldson and Ismail.

Sanders was a different situation but was also well worth his money.

We can call Kearse the only FA that has exceeded expectations in the last 20 years.

I expect that inspires Stephen Jones to have another arrogant crack at the bargain bin.

Nice coincidence considering they have no other choice because they paid the wrong guys.

Verdict

Reaction score
@Doomsday101 - Good on you for posting a Kearse appreciation thread. He definitely deserves some praise. IMO he embodies a player who is better than people were recognizing but more importantly one of those players whose impact is greater than just his talent. Every team needs a few of those guys that raise others up and allow the coaches to move pieces around.
Not all cheap signing pay off, but the Cowboys had some pretty good hits with this free agent class. Kearse seems to have been a good one.

We don’t need to pay him like Ed Reed in his prime, but I would like to see him play for the Cowboys again next year.

Some of you need to take note that not all cheap signings are “useless”. Many people here would have said (and did say) that we didn’t address the position at all in the off-season.

The Cowboys usually address all “needs” they just don’t all work out. The salary cap also ties your hands a little.

This also directly controversy the idea that we don’t participate in free agency. I think our prior coaching regime (Marinelli in particular) really held this team back. It’s hard to cook a great meal if your chef is an idiot and he keeps selecting rancid meat to use in the entree’.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Good response.

Although Novacek and Washington were both under the old Plan B system.

Damn I'm old!

The others, yeah.....but we are talking about 30 years.

Dollar for dollar Kearse probably ranks behind only Donaldson and Ismail.

Sanders was a different situation but was also well worth his money.

We can call Kearse the only FA that has exceeded expectations in the last 20 years.

I expect that inspires Stephen Jones to have another arrogant crack at the bargain bin.

Nice coincidence considering they have no other choice because they paid the wrong guys.
Thanks and we are old! Good ole plan B FAs!

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Forgot about Robinson. Nice!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Jayron Kearse silenced critics on Day 1. Kearse not only played the best football of his career this season but he immediately established himself as a leader and key part of this Dallas Cowboys defensive turnaround.

Kearse played 1,013 snaps for the Cowboys last year, compiling 101 tackles and 6 QB hits. He played free safety, box safety, slot CB, boundary CB, special teams, and even up on the D-line itself. He was Dan Quinn’s master key that could be used darn near anywhere on the defense.

Jayron Kearse wasn’t just an emotional leader for the Cowboys defense, but he was also a technical leader. The veteran understood the defense as good as anyone and raised the overall IQ of the defense when he was on the field.

Safeties like Kazee, Donovan Wilson, and Hooker all missed time last season but Kearse stood strong. When Dallas lost nearly all linebacker depth it was Kearse who Dan Quinn leaned on. Kearse helped rush the passer, stop the run, cover out of the backfield….he even lined up wide.

When players started to drop (and they always do) Kearse covered the holes. I honestly can’t remember a time Dallas had such a universal defensive player like Kearse. He raised the floor across the board.

Dallas Cowboys: How Jayron Kearse became Dan Quinn's 'master key' (sportdfw.com)
They were all part of the original equation, but Kearse played a significant role as you stated.
Give Quinn some actual time with a good core that will remain on this defense and we might be surprised how fast a couple more solid draft picks could change this defense, despite the forthcoming unavoidable losses that the defense
will sustain.
We have youth and 1st year contracts at least.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
Cowboys haven’t had a safety play so many roles since Darren Woodson. I don’t want to hear about the cap if they let this guy go.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I would guess not. He fits what Dallas and Quinn want to do so well, not sure he commands that on the open market.

Yeah, I don't think he jumps that high...but he does have serious value in Dallas...maybe more than anywhere else with all he did for this team.

Overthecap suggest around 6m...could probably have a first year hit in the 3-4m range.

https://overthecap.com/player/jayron-kearse/4957/

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Forgot about Robinson. Nice!

Not sure why he was the first one to come to mind for me. I guess because he was a no-name who we got for cheap because he wasn't in high demand, the same as Kearse. Probably can go by position and find some cheap FA who exceeded expectations. There are just so many who lived down to expectations that it's far easier to get lost in all the failures. I think in the last 10 to 15 years, Kearse would probably rank in the top five as far as cheap, no-name FAs go.

Robinson would be in that group. Maybe Kyle Kosier, but I'm not sure I'd count him because he did sign for 3 years, $15 million after showing he could start elsewhere. Based on this season, Brian Anger. Would LP Ladouceur count since we signed him as a rookie UDFA after he was cut by the Saints? If not, Jake McQaide might get a nod since I don't think he had a bad snap this year as Ladouceur's replacement. George Selvie? Terrell McClain? David Irving (signed off Chiefs practice squad so not technically an FA)? Benson Mayowa?

Other than Kosier, those are similar-type players who didn't have much hype before they got here and came cheap. Anger, though, and McQaide had also both established that they were good before we signed them. Of those, I think I'd only rank Anger higher. Kearse and Robinson would be next (based on only the one year). Sticking with the strictly veteran FAs, I'd probably go McQuaide next, then Selvie (again, just considering his first year).

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to admit I wasn't familiar with him when he was signed. He sure impressed me throughout the season. I sure hope they can resign him for at least 2-3 years. Go Cowboys

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Product of his QB, but yeah he worked out well.