How Jerry Jones Can Win a Super Bowl as Interim Head Coach

xpistofer

Reaction score
Yup...crazy idea, but hear me out. As a fan of this team who has paid close attention for every one of 40+ years, I think I am onto something here (maybe delusion :) ):

A head coach has four responsibilities: (1) lead (motivate) the team, (2) prepare the team, (3) oversee the philosophy of the team, and (4) ensure the details (ideally, x's and o's).

Jason Garrett has done a fabulous job of #1 and #3 – his team is always in it, and Dallas is rarely blown out, and he has managed to keep the team's identity an attempted 90's remake. But his deficiencies in #2 and #4 are so bad (in my humble estimation), that he is bringing a net-negative to the table.

Enter the current state of affairs. There are reports (not necessarily credible) that Jerry "could" fire Garrett tomorrow it the Bills beat Dallas. Let's just say that happens. Of course we all know the likelihood is slim, but let's just go down that road...

One candidate for Interim Head Coach should be Jerry Jones himself. I am not kidding. Because he signs the checks, he would be good at #1, because is the owner and GM and because the players love him, he is already good at #3 – the same qualities Garret brought to the table. I think he would be a slight upgrade on #2 and #4, because every coach and player knows they are totally accountable to him. I think he would get their best, and he is not afraid to take chances. I believe Jones would upgrade the coaching staff just enough for Dallas to end up at 9-7 and a division title. Then it's a whole new ballgame.

Jones could not sustain a coaching responsibility for very long, but he could do it for three months. If he lost, he was just stepping in to go through a proper coaching search and not make too hasty a decision.

But...if he was able to win four postseason games, then he would become an absolute legend. Super bowl winning coach, Jerry Jones.

C'mon, Jerry, as a fan of the team for 40+ years, I would love to see you take the team over on Friday as Interim coach. Either way, you can't lose. The players love you and would respond to you in a way they have never responded to Jason. And you only have to do it for a few months. Would be one of the greatest rides in NFL history, even if you ended up at .500 with no playoffs. I would love to see it.

C'mon Jerry!

glimmerman

Reaction score
If I understand correctly, the rules address head coach, but do they address "Interim" head coach? Hmmm... :)
I do think that JG has lost the players. When JJ fired wade he said nobody’s job is safe and the players responded by going 5-3 the rest of that season. They need to be reminded that just because he handed out big contracts to D-Law and Elliot it don’t mean players are safe. I wonder with the outside appearance of giving into Elliot’s demands for the contract if it didn’t change the players attitude. Dak is looking for a big payday.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure Jerry thinks he’s capable of doing it. But all the other NFL owners (except in Cincy) know that in order to win a SB in this modern era, you must have talented, competent, and credible football men leading your organization. Not rich billionaires with monster egos.

Those are the owners by the way whose teams have won the last 23 Super Bowls. It’s really not difficult to understand the formula for success does not include having an owner be the GM. Again, 94% of the NFL owners get this.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
There might be the possibility that Jerry has already been the HC since 2010 and JG is merely a figure head wandering the sidelines to stay within the rules.

Who hires and fires the staff? Who announces injuries and roster moves? Who is almost always the first to be interviewed by the press after each game? Who is always in the post game locker room? Who is always front and center all throughout training camp?

CB61

Reaction score
Yup...crazy idea, but hear me out. As a fan of this team who has paid close attention for every one of 40+ years, I think I am onto something here (maybe delusion :) ):

A head coach has four responsibilities: (1) lead (motivate) the team, (2) prepare the team, (3) oversee the philosophy of the team, and (4) ensure the details (ideally, x's and o's).

Jason Garrett has done a fabulous job of #1 and #3 – his team is always in it, and Dallas is rarely blown out, and he has managed to keep the team's identity an attempted 90's remake. But his deficiencies in #2 and #4 are so bad (in my humble estimation), that he is bringing a net-negative to the table.

Enter the current state of affairs. There are reports (not necessarily credible) that Jerry "could" fire Garrett tomorrow it the Bills beat Dallas. Let's just say that happens. Of course we all know the likelihood is slim, but let's just go down that road...

One candidate for Interim Head Coach should be Jerry Jones himself. I am not kidding. Because he signs the checks, he would be good at #1, because is the owner and GM and because the players love him, he is already good at #3 – the same qualities Garret brought to the table. I think he would be a slight upgrade on #2 and #4, because every coach and player knows they are totally accountable to him. I think he would get their best, and he is not afraid to take chances. I believe Jones would upgrade the coaching staff just enough for Dallas to end up at 9-7 and a division title. Then it's a whole new ballgame.

Jones could not sustain a coaching responsibility for very long, but he could do it for three months. If he lost, he was just stepping in to go through a proper coaching search and not make too hasty a decision.

But...if he was able to win four postseason games, then he would become an absolute legend. Super bowl winning coach, Jerry Jones.

C'mon, Jerry, as a fan of the team for 40+ years, I would love to see you take the team over on Friday as Interim coach. Either way, you can't lose. The players love you and would respond to you in a way they have never responded to Jason. And you only have to do it for a few months. Would be one of the greatest rides in NFL history, even if you ended up at .500 with no playoffs. I would love to see it.

C'mon Jerry!
That would be something to see he's always said that anybody can coach this team

CB61

Reaction score
There might be the possibility that Jerry has already been the HC since 2010 and JG is merely a figure head wandering the sidelines to stay within the rules.

Who hires and fires the staff? Who announces injuries and roster moves? Who is almost always the first to be interviewed by the press after each game? Who is always in the post game locker room? Who is always front and center all throughout training camp?
If it's raining do you think he'll wear that stupid rain suit that Garrett did in New England? That's got to be the stupidest thing I ever seen he's more worried about his comfort then coaching the damn team

CB61

Reaction score
Meanwhile a great coach on the other sideline is wearing nothing but a hoodie and a hat LOL he looked like a little garden gnome with that suit on

CB61

Reaction score
And before everybody jumps on me yes he had clothes on OMG the correctors will be after me if I don't clarify this

Pants

Reaction score
noun
  1. the state of being a lunatic; insanity (not in technical use).
    "it has been suggested that originality demands a degree of lunacy"

Similar:
    insanity; madness; mental illness; derangement; dementia; dementedness; insaneness; loss of reason; unsoundness of mind; mental instability; mania; frenzy; psychosis; craziness;

extreme folly or eccentricity

This is the definition of Jerry Jones if he ever tried to do this.....

....I am throwing my name in the hat once JJ fires JG...imagine the press conference

Jones: "I want to introduce the new Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys, Pants. He has more football knowledge from being on his flag football team than does his predecessor."
(I sit down)
Pants: "Let me start by saying Jason Garrett sucks. First question." (nods at closest hot female reporter and points at her)

DandyDon52

Reaction score

That is all why he should be HC lol he could even have a gold plated throne to sit on down on the sidelines!

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I know Jerry Jones OWNS the team also, but a GM firing the coach and hiring themselves actually isn't unprecedented in sports. That's how Coach Pop became the Spurs' head coach. But Jerry Jones is 77 years old and as much as ya'll love to talk about the guy, he runs the team like a businessman and hires who he thinks are the right guys for the job. I'm sure he's thought about it, but not as a serious though. A lot of ya'll are blinded by frustration, you don't take a team you purchased for 100 million dollars and make them the most valuable franchise in the NFL worth 5+ billion dollars if you don't know what you're doing. He may not be as football savvy as he is business savvy but Jerry Jones isn't senile.