How long are QB's considered Young?

Scotman

Reaction score
I'm asking the question, because I really hadn't considered it out loud before. During last week's game, and virtually every week, they refer to Dak as a young quarterback. There is no question in my mind the maturation process for a QB is different that most other positions. Look at RB. After 4 or 5 years many of the RBs are already on the downhill side of their career. At what point is a QB considered experienced?

So, if a QB is young QB in year four, when does that narrative change? Is it based solely on experience? Number of games played? Age? Will Dak and the rest of the 2016 class still be young QBs next year?

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Tons of QBs play to mid 30s to late 30s. Depends mainly on injury history and/or production.

John813

Reaction score
Since more and more QB's are playing into their later 30's, I would say up to late 20's could be considered young.
Especially depending on how many games played to that point. Someone like Romo or Jimmy G had yet to get a lot of playing time till their 3rd/4th years. They were "experienced" only in accrued seasons but still green in regards to playing time.

Think it's a question with many possible legit answers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Young and inexperienced are not necessarily the same.

Guys like Dak, who started right away, accrue a ton of experience in a relatively short time.
The guy already has about 60 NFL starts
:flagwave:

The good news about the position is that so much is cerebral, that guys can decline some physically and still be as good if they continue working on their game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Think it depends on the type QB, running, mobile or pocket. In other words, look at Cam Newton vs Ben Rotheburger (ms) or Brady/Brees.

conner01

Reaction score
It depends on how you are using the term
To me after 4 years you aren’t a young QB in terms of development. You should continue to get better but by then you know the position
In terms of actual physical age that tends to be getting later for the position

MyUnderAppreciatedQB

Reaction score
I'm asking the question, because I really hadn't considered it out loud before. During last week's game, and virtually every week, they refer to Dak as a young quarterback. There is no question in my mind the maturation process for a QB is different that most other positions. Look at RB. After 4 or 5 years many of the RBs are already on the downhill side of their career. At what point is a QB considered experienced?
[/Q

In Daks case since he’s played through his rookie contract, once he starts playing on his second contract.

NorTex

Reaction score
27 is my number. After that you may be inexperienced/raw but you are not young. A 28 year old QB is not young.

erod

Reaction score
It's more about starts than years.

Troy Aikman was not a young quarterback by the time he played in is first Super Bowl. He was a seasoned veteran by then who just wasn't very old.

Dak is more of a veteran in my eyes than somebody like Geno Smith. He's played far more and seen more.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
27 and younger, regardless of experience. Garropolo is 28 but has less than 20 starts in his career. I wouldn't call him young. After that point, you're just considered "not old" yet.

When talking about skill level though, a QB's prime is different, it's measured in experience. I think a QB's prime comes after at least 5 years of starting. For example, Romo was at his best around 2012-2014. He was already in his 30s at that point but that was when he started seeing the entire game better than at any point in his career. He could make any throw, read defenses, make the right audible at the line, etc. You may not be as athletic as you were in your early days as a starter but your mental game makes up for it.

Out of the current QBs, Russell Wilson is entering that phase now and it's no surprise that you're seeing him play at an MVP level.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
The switch from young (aka, inexperienced) to veteran happens during the third season of starting. Beginning with the fourth season a QB is a full fledged veteran. Regardless of age.

erod

Reaction score
Luka Doncic is dominating at the age of 20.

Years aren't as critical as experience.