How long before Nolan is fired and George Edwards takes over as DC?

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
For the record, I’m not calling for Nolan to be fired. I actually think it was a decent hire. But with the defense struggling and there already being talk of “simplifying the scheme”, I could see Nolan eventually being fired. Especially if they continue to struggle once fully healthy. George Edwards is already on staff and could step in, running more of a traditional 4-3. That would fit players like Everson Griffen and D-Law better most likely. Thoughts?

Dre11

Reaction score
lol.. many here said it was Marinelli...lol
players talking about being multiple, disguising, Richard not letting CBS turnaround, MARINELLI system, Marinelli system that...lol I told you'll it's the players or lack of playmakers.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
For the record, I’m not calling for Nolan to be fired. I actually think it was a decent hire. But with the defense struggling and there already being talk of “simplifying the scheme”, I could see Nolan eventually being fired. Especially if they continue to struggle once fully healthy. George Edwards is already on staff and could step in, running more of a traditional 4-3. That would fit players like Everson Griffen and D-Law better most likely. Thoughts?
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I don't see anyone on the staff losing their jobs after 2 games. Like most teams coaches and players are evaluated and the end of the season and if they feel they need to move in a different direction they will.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I said it in this offseason I do not for the life of me understand how Nolan went from linebackers coach to DC and the Vikings DC went from being their DC to our defensive assistant coach.

It just seemed like coming off their respective titles that Edwards was more qualified even though I know Zimmer is probably in charge of call those defensive plays in Minnie as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm actually on record when the Edwards hiring happened that I would have preferred him to Nolan. Nothing that's happened has done anything to change my mind, but only served to reinforce that initial opinion.

Timing may have played a part as Nolan was hired on Jan 6th and the Vikings didn't officially move on from Edwards until Jan 12th.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm actually on record when the Edwards hiring happened that I would have preferred him to Nolan. Nothing that's happened has done anything to change my mind, but only served to reinforce that initial opinion.

Timing may have played a part as Nolan was hired on Jan 6th and the Vikings didn't officially move on from Edwards until Jan 12th.
Ahh ok I didn't know that. I thought they were both available at the same time....I honestly feels like that explains why Edwards isn't the DC. I get he coached under Zimmer but no way that guy isn't a better candidate than Nolan.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
43 more days....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ahh ok I didn't know that. I thought they were both available at the same time....I honestly feels like that explains why Edwards isn't the DC. I get he coached under Zimmer but no way that guy isn't a better candidate than Nolan.

I agree. He's had solid defense in Minnesota for years. and Zimmer gave him the shaft for the sake of nepotism as I've read it.

I bet the Vikings fan wouldn't mind still having Edwards around

Doomsday101

Reaction score
....MM brought him here, so to be fair must give it some time. Still early in season.

and that in my view is the biggest key. These coaches were McCarthy picks. I may have picked someone different for DC, Jerry may have picked someone different for DC but it was left to McCarthy to put his staff in place. You let it play out and we will see the end results

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree. He's had solid defense in Minnesota for years. and Zimmer gave him the shaft for the sake of nepotism as I've read it.

I bet the Vikings fan wouldn't mind still having Edwards around

Zimmer's son's defense is getting shredded to the tune of 35 points per game so far.

Sydla

Reaction score
There is zero chance he's going to get fired during the season but I wonder how much of a lease Jerry will have with him if the defense continues to play as they have. Right now, they are 15th in DVOA and we were sold that Nolan's D might give up yards and some points but they would also be aggressive and cause turnovers and get after the QB. Neither has happened thus far.