How long before Nolan is fired and George Edwards takes over as DC?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and that in my view is the biggest key. These coaches were McCarthy picks. I may have picked someone different for DC, Jerry may have picked someone different for DC but it was left to McCarthy to put his staff in place. You let it play out and we will see the end results

That's certainly what I expect to happen, and reasonably exactly what should happen. Both coaches and players should reasonably be given a bit more time than two weeks in a year when they had virtually no offseason.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I agree. He's had solid defense in Minnesota for years. and Zimmer gave him the shaft for the sake of nepotism as I've read it.

I bet the Vikings fan wouldn't mind still having Edwards around
Not to say this validates anything but I tried to find opinions on George Edward online from some Minnesota fans.......interesting perspective here......

vikesfansteve says:
January 13, 2020 at 11:59 am

Best defense the Vikings played during the whole Zimmer era was when Edwards coached the game vs the Cowboys while Zim was out with his eye.

Even better than when they blanked the Packers against all backups.

Zim is the problem.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's certainly what I expect to happen, and reasonably exactly what should happen. Both coaches and players should reasonably be given a bit more time than two weeks in a year when they had virtually no offseason.

True, the biggest changes being made on this team was defensive side of the ball from scheme and several new faces. I think anyone judging this defense last week are being a big unfair when they were put in a very bad position with early turnovers by the offense. I do think no pre season to work and learn what Nolan wants and having to learn on the fly is rough, that is not an excuse for the defense and they should be expected to do better as they learn from some of the mistakes they are making.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not to say this validates anything but I tried to find opinions on George Edward online from some Minnesota fans.......interesting perspective here......

vikesfansteve says:
January 13, 2020 at 11:59 am

Best defense the Vikings played during the whole Zimmer era was when Edwards coached the game vs the Cowboys while Zim was out with his eye.

Even better than when they blanked the Packers against all backups.

Zim is the problem.

Whoever said that is being proven correct to this point of the season.

The Vikings look like a dumpster fire. And far from the 'playoff contender' that many labeled them to be.

The Zimmers may reap what they've sown.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, the biggest changes being made on this team was defensive side of the ball from scheme and several new faces. I think anyone judging this defense last week are being a big unfair when they were put in a very bad position with early turnovers by the offense. I do think no pre season to work and learn what Nolan wants and having to learn on the fly is rough, that is not an excuse for the defense and they should be expected to do better as they learn from some of the mistakes they are making.

I'm both hopeful and confident that they will. It's sounding to me like they will be dialing back some of the changes and following through on the 'players vs scheme' mantra of the offseason. If so, I give them credit for that and expect players to play somewhat better doing what they're more comfortable and better at.

cowboyec

Reaction score
patience.
no real off-season put them behind the 8 ball.
i think Nolan will adjust to the talent he has.
i think he'll get this defense right.

cern

Reaction score
It is a fundamental law of nature that even in the vacuum of space something can come into existence from nothing. Seems this applies to thoughts as well. Just two games played.

DCCowboys11

Reaction score
its been 2 friggin games without a real offseason/preseason...give it a rest please

Yeah I get it. Only 2 games. Hence why I said “not calling for him to be fired”. But NOBODY had an off-season/pre-season. Defense very far from good right now.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Yeah I get it. Only 2 games. Hence why I said “not calling for him to be fired”. But NOBODY had an off-season/pre-season. Defense very far from good right now.
They're also trying to learn a new scheme on the fly and have multiple starters out.

glimmerman

Reaction score
That’s MM buddy. He won’t be fired. He will likely change to a 4-3 more. 3-4 don’t suit the players and I really don’t know why they are even trying it. Your best pass rushers are 4-3. Am I wrong about this..

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I said it in this offseason I do not for the life of me understand how Nolan went from linebackers coach to DC and the Vikings DC went from being their DC to our defensive assistant coach.

It just seemed like coming off their respective titles that Edwards was more qualified even though I know Zimmer is probably in charge of call those defensive plays in Minnie as well.

Big Mike and Nolan are big buddies.

Nolan helped hire Mike as the 49ers OC back in 05. Nolan was the HC. MM got the GB gig next season .

DuncanIso

Reaction score
and that in my view is the biggest key. These coaches were McCarthy picks. I may have picked someone different for DC, Jerry may have picked someone different for DC but it was left to McCarthy to put his staff in place. You let it play out and we will see the end results

Mike and Nolan go back to the Niners.

It was payback for Nolan’s help in 05.

How else does a washed up DC get a job with the Cowboys?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm actually on record when the Edwards hiring happened that I would have preferred him to Nolan. Nothing that's happened has done anything to change my mind, but only served to reinforce that initial opinion.

Timing may have played a part as Nolan was hired on Jan 6th and the Vikings didn't officially move on from Edwards until Jan 12th.

No. Mike and Nolan are big buddies.