How long do running quarterbacks last in the NFL?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
LOL..... Thank you man. TBH, it's a lot easier to be "Awesome" when your just poster and not a MOD. A lot of times, it's hard to MOD and also have fun as a poster. It's a real drag because we were all posters and fans before we were MODs. Can be thankless sometimes. I appreciate every one of them.

But I thank you for saying this Melonfeud.
Brother! I fully understand you're upfront & oh so factual of an explanation into that double edged casing-liner,,, STILL!,,, WE'RE BUDDIES FER' LIFE,,,NOW:thumbup:

:yourock::oldcouple::yourock:

:lmao2::laugh::lmao2:

:starspin:o_O:starspin:

Last edited:

Skillit

Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton has a full career running in an era that didn’t protect anyone. Roger ran his fair share.

Randall Cunningham and Steve Young also ran quite a bit.

Dodger12

Reaction score
People often forget Troy Aikman won a National Championship as an option QB i.e. where the QB was there primarily to carry the ball. Passing was so good he rarely needed to use these skills in the pros.

It annoys me when people try to make out that running ability can make up for lack of passing skills. QBs have to be accurate passers first. Rushing ability is a nice to have. Its a bit like putting a great stereo in a trabbant and then trying to argue its a better car than a Ferrari.

Aikman broke his foot early in the season the year that Oklahoma won the national title and Jamelle Halloway was the QB that won the title. Aikman wasn't a running QB and he thought the Sooners would go to a more traditional passing attack when they recruited him. He went to UCLA where the offense fit his passing skills.

vig454

Reaction score
I say let's change the game completely by on the field action. Make the QB position that of a running back mentality. So now you have two running back threats in the back field then bam go for a pass ! :D

kskboys

Reaction score
Ftan Tarkenton, Roger Staubach, and Archie Manning were concidered running quarterbacks during a time in which there were no special rules to protect them. There was no such thing as "helmet to helmet", "in the grasp", and it took physical assault to call roughing the passer

All three of those guys had careers longer than 10 years. One of the greatest passer ratings in history belonged to a running QB, Steve Young, who enjoyed a long career.

Dak is only going going to be a running QB early in his career. As he matures and gains experience he will improve his reads and release time and become more of a passing QB. This is what happened to the above mentioned QB's. I
You are confusing "running QB's" w/ "scrambling Qb's".

Tark never ran for 400 yds in a season. Neither did Staubach. Tark's highest carry total was 62 in 1966. Staubach's was 55 in 1975.

Archie also never ran for 400 yds w/ a high of 63 carries in 72 and 73.

kskboys

Reaction score
I say let's change the game completely by on the field action. Make the QB position that of a running back mentality. So now you have two running back threats in the back field then bam go for a pass ! :D
MIA already tried that. Way too easy to defend.

kskboys

Reaction score
M

Steve was a big thick guy, bigger than Dak but similar mold. Steve was def better passer.
Steve was bigger than some of his OL in the latter years.
He would frustrate teams to no end as they'd bottle up his Wrs and sometime even hit him then bounce off and he'd run for a first down. For a defense, I would think a running QB that keeps moving the chains would have to be the most frustrating thing ever.
Huh? No he wasn't. Steve Young's playing weight was 215. Look up SF's OL weights if you need to, but 215?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Name some running quarterbacks and how long their career was in the NFL.
Vick
Cunningham
Young
Tarkenton
McNabb
Elway
Stewart
Staubach
Zorn
Newton
Wilson
Rote
McNair
Culpepper
Grogan
Were all dual threat QBs that had decent to very good careers.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I assume this is another thread in which we try to find a way to bash Dak. I will play along and assume that you are really concerned about the health of Dak.

Dak averages less than 4 runs per game for his career. Some of that is kneel downs at the end of the 1st half and the end of the game. He is bigger than Zeke so he is not small and frail. About 99% of the time he slides prior to getting hit or runs out of bounds prior to getting hit. I think he is more likely to get hurt by getting sacked than by running because he is usually smart when it comes to taking hits.
Git yerself an AVATAR!
AS THAT WAS A MOST WORTHY OF REMEMBERANCE OF POSTS ,,,ER,,, WERE IT NOT RENDERED BY A ROWDY FLAGGED casing-liner,,, YA KNOW?o_O

losersgetcute

Reaction score
so for Dak to be successful we will need to run some form of a college style offense.
You mean like the spread or Air raid? College style offense just won by 33 points....hmmm looked a lot like football players playing football to me...

jujoboys

Reaction score
Git yerself an AVATAR!
AS THAT WAS A MOST WORTHY OF REMEMBERANCE OF POSTS ,,,ER,,, WERE IT NOT RENDERED BY A ROWDY FLAGGED casing-liner,,, YA KNOW?o_O

Mission completed. I now have an avatar. Good call. I dislike Rowdy almost as much as Jason Garrett.

Melonfeud

Reaction score
Mission completed. I now have an avatar. Good call. I dislike Rowdy almost as much as Jason Garrett.
Outstanding! my FORTIFIED FELLOW!,,, DAMN GOOD SHOW! OL' BOY ,,,,DAMN good SHOW!
:thumbup: RAUNCH-ROD FORTH WITHIN THE CROWNS- BLESSINGS HENCEFORTH ,,,ordained FELLOW WARRIOR!!!

OH,YA!,,, MY FELLOW BREATHERN :thumbup::clap::thumbup:

o_O:star:o_O

:starspin::starspin::starspin:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Name some running quarterbacks and how long their career was in the NFL.

Steve Young. Randall Cunningham. Donovan McNabb. Roger Staubach. Fran Tarkenton. Michael Vick. Russel Wilson. Steve McNair. John Elway.

The injury risk to Dak from running is way overblown. The greater threat to his career is not throwing the ball well enough.

QBs break. I don't know that running QBs break that much more often.

But probably running QBs are more susceptible to their careers ending from injury because more of them don't have the arm to be useful if their legs go. Stabler could hobble around on his busted knees to the HOF because he could throw magic.

Dak isn't an arm. Everyone should accept that, and make the most of what he is. He's as stout as QBs come, in a league that protects them like crazy. He takes the yards, and for the most part avoids hits. I remember maybe one tackle where it looked like he might have gotten hurt. It wasn't a big hit, it was being awkwardly pulled down from behind. Could have happened in the pocket.

The injury risk to Dak is way overblown. And it's really besides the point. He's not enough as a pocket passer. He looks like plenty as a dual threat. Run Dak, run.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More QB's are injured in the pocket than out in the open where they are in more control and can slide. That pocket starts coming down and that's a lot of beef falling on legs.

There also haven't been a lot of QB's in the NFL built like a RB at 6'2" 235 and he's smarter than Newton who tries to go through tacklers.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
a scrambling quarterback is a quarterback that runs under pressure by an opposing team's defense, he may run forward, backward, or laterally in an attempt to avoid being tackled behind the line of scrimmage.A scramble is not usually a designed play, but instead is the action of a quarterback to avoid being sacked by the defense or an improvised run forward to gain yardage if an opportunity presents itself.

A lot of the above posted quarterbacks were actually scrambling quarterbacks.

a running quarterback is what it says he is, a runner. A running quarterback is someone who doesn't or can't read the defense as good as the slower footed counterparts. When he has the option to run he will instead of waiting on a player to get open. His first option will be to run when the opportunity presents itself. A running quarterback will always be behind the stationary quarterback, because a stationary quarterback has never had the ability to run. Once a running quarterback reaches his highest level it becomes very hard to teach them how to read defenses well.
Michael Vick was quoted as saying that this was the first time he had ever really tried to read a defense. After over two decades of playing football in his life, this was the first time he ever tried to understand what the defense was going to do before the play? Why now? The answer is simple: Because running only works to a certain point.

conner01

Reaction score
Fran Tarkenton has a full career running in an era that didn’t protect anyone. Roger ran his fair share.

Randall Cunningham and Steve Young also ran quite a bit.
It’s not about how much you run
It’s about how you get hit in the end
Dak is bigger than any of those guys and as long as he’s smart he should be fine