How long does Witten last at MNF?

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
He just seems unnatural when he's speaking.

We all know Wit knows football better than 99% of people, but he can't articulate that knowledge in a relatable way.

If he doesn't improve, I bet we won't see him next season. Much like Emmitt as ESPN; there and gone and in a flash.
Emmitt was legendary in his speaking ability and vocabulary. Someone dedicated an entire website to his awful announcing. I found it late one night and laughed till I cried.
http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2009/02/emmitt-wont-be-returning-to-espn.html?m=1

Birch_Wood

Reaction score
"This kind of inconsistency, against a team like New England, will get you completely blowed out." Emmitt

http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/emmitt.php

Last edited:

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
He sounds nervous all the time, like he's about to flub what he's trying to say & that usually happens. He's trying too hard. Once he settles down, he might improve or this might be the best he can be. If that's the case, I don't see him remaining on MNF in the future.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
But most of us felt that about Aikman before he did it.

Witten is trying too hard and he's trying to do the one thing that annoys me more than anything from color guys, trying to inject excitement with his voice. Talking faster and louder does not increase value in the game. And I do not fault him but the director, he is not a professional yet but the director is supposed to be.

But, how many people select a game off who's doing the color? I have never watched a game based on that but there are some that I just will not listen to, Beth Mowins for one. Do we think anyone devotes 3.5 hours to listening to Romo do the color? Either I am interested in the game or not, the play by play guy or color guy doesn't enter into it. And I am not as enamored with Romo as some are. And they need to mask the ambient sound of the game more and tell him to speak up.
Well I beg to differ. Madden was the color commentator and I absolutely LOVED listening to him. He was the best ever at that. He is missed dearly. Summeral was spectacular also. Probably never be as dynamic a duo as them in the booth again.

Witten to me has an annoying voice and a girly laugh which sounds idiotic. I am not impressed with him at all.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Maybe he can start out as a studio guy and work up from there. All cowboys can't be analyst.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't think he is that bad. I think Witten and Booger are too much together though. They often step on each other. One of them should be removed and the other needs to talk less. The Football experts shouuld be there for color commentary, not to over analyze every play.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I caught a little bit of his first game and it was painful. Easily the worst I can remember for a prime time, national broadcast.

Didn't hear him again until this Monday and thought he was much much better.

Got to give him a chance. He's a rook and the game will slow down for him.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
tonight was first time I’d heard him and he was awful.

He’d do well right before the snap calling out coverage but in breaking down what happened and trying to make conversation he was atrocious.

Booger actually schooled him and he doesn’t have the overhead view Witten does.

I can see ESPN going to a 2 man booth next year with Booger. Witten is clearly the 3rd wheel.

He’ll be even worse for our game because he will want to stay impartial but the nerves I can see getting to him.
Until he comes on board as our TE coach / assistant OC