How many 1st-round picks would a young Tom Brady have been worth?

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Hypothetical thought exercise; let's rewind to the past:

Suppose it's 2000, and we now know everything about the young Tom Brady that we do today. Back then, he was an NFL rookie, only 24 years old, but suppose (for this hypothetical) that all NFL teams already knew that he was the Greatest NFL Player of All Time.

Knowing that, how many first-round picks would it take to persuade an NFL team to trade him?

7 first-rounders? 10? 12?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If I don't have Belichick then maybe a couple of first rounders.

Having Tom Brady doesn't guarantee a Superbowl and he's not that great of a talent.

If Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes were in the same draft right now and we knew all the information about both players I would take Mahomes > Brady.

To me Brady is like the Jerry Rice, and Emmitt Smith of his position. There are clearly better talents then them / him but he got the job done.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Well the Pats have mostly been picking with pick #28-32 since getting brady. Theyve been functioning basically by drafting 2nd round talent for 20 years.

Bigdog

Reaction score
If I don't have Belichick then maybe a couple of first rounders.

Having Tom Brady doesn't guarantee a Superbowl and he's not that great of a talent.

If Tom Brady and Patrick Mahomes were in the same draft right now and we knew all the information about both players I would take Mahomes > Brady.

To me Brady is like the Jerry Rice, and Emmitt Smith of his position. There are clearly better talents then them / him but he got the job done.
That is a pretty good analogy of Brady. He was not overly skilled like Mahomes is but lkmenRice and Smith he is the best at his position.