How many of ya'll would take Newman over Samuel now?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Before I get roasted over a open fire.. In the off season I said that Newman should not be resigned long term because of his age, been hurt last few years and he doesn't play the ball well. I love Newman because he is a Cowboy but he's not worth the money spent.. I hope Jerry learns a lesson and does not sign Canty and Spears for big money.. They are not worth it.. However I was wrong about Flozell. He's been outstanding. Fire away..

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I would....but, some believe I am a homer....what ever that is ;-)

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
We have had this discussion on this board already. Newman is not that old...at 30 he has several more good years in him. Agreed, he does not get a lot of INTs but he covers his man like a blanket and does not give up the big play. Samuels gets the INTs but he also gives up more big plays than Newman...take your pick but I like Newman and his cover skills.

As for his being injured "the last few years"...he was injured early in the season last year and came on to have a Pro Bowl year. He was healthy the three years before that so I guess last year and this year constitute "the last few years". And this year he they are not rushing him back because we have depth at the corner for a change. I expect he could have played last week had we been going against the Giants instead of the Bungles as could Kosier. We were resting anyone who was knicked up or still recovering.

Reaction score
Vinnie2u;2318164 said:
Before I get roasted over a open fire.. In the off season I said that Newman should not be resigned long term because of his age, been hurt last few years and he doesn't play the ball well. I love Newman because he is a Cowboy but he's not worth the money spent.. I hope Jerry learns a lesson and does not sign Canty and Spears for big money.. They are not worth it.. However I was wrong about Flozell. He's been outstanding. Fire away..

Newman is on the wrong side of 30....

I would have given the money to Asante who is younger but not for as much as the Eagles paid for him....

Canty isnt a bad sign because he is still young to.. But for a 3-4 DE, he is not Richard Seymour. So he should be paid, but not OVERPAID.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Samuel's playoff experience is his only advantage, and he has made a lot more plays that Newman.

I'm sure someone will bust out some KC Joyner stats and explain to me why I'm an idiot for not *******usly supporting Newman, but judging from what I've seen out of the 2 players - Samuel is the better corner, and is a playmaker. Something I've never been able to call Newman.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Samuel gets more picks...Newman is the better cover corner.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Future;2318249 said:
Samuel gets more picks...Newman is the better cover corner.

So who would you rather have the next 5 seasons?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If Newman is healthy than Newman easily.

But some of you guys told me Asante was only good because of New Englands system? I lol'd then and I lawl now.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
Why do we do this? Newman is head and shoulders better than Samuels. It's not just INTs that determines the feasibility of a CB. When healthy, he is the best shut down CB in the league, IMO. Does he get tons of INTs? No.

Take a look at Henry. Would you consider him a better CB than Newman simply because he has more INTs? I don't think so.

I have a feeling this thread would never have been started if Newman wasn't injured right now.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
The only issue I have with Newman is you get him for half a year. So that makes the answer tough IMHO. Week in and out, I choose Newman. You are better with him in there. But he has been held back lately from injury and I don't really see that changing too much. And in five years, I would still prefer Newman.. just not sure if I want it for half a year. That was why I thought Aikmans time was done. I still loved him in the games, but I only got a handful of them. Tough question to answer for me, at least.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
and i would have picked the Giants to win the SB--and the '69 Mets--and...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Marcus Spears was labeled inury proned a little to quick as well.

Newmans injuries have never even came in a game. Just practice.

Im not ready to say hes injury prone just yet. It could be just a case of bad luck.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Vinnie2u;2318164 said:

Samuels isn't even a very good cover corner to begin with, so what's your point?

Everson24

Reaction score
I love Newman when he's healthy but I would have signed Samuel for the same money as we paid Newman.

Samuel is younger and has improved every year. The fact that Samuel gets more interceptions than Newman also causes the QB to hold the ball longer which leads to more sacks.

Teams are just not worried about throwing at Newman because he rarely gets the pick and makes them pay.

Reaction score
Everson24;2318337 said:
I love Newman when he's healthy but I would have signed Samuel for the same money as we paid Newman.

Samuel is younger and has improved every year. The fact that Samuel gets more interceptions than Newman also causes the QB to hold the ball longer which leads to more sacks.

Teams are just not worried about throwing at Newman because he rarely gets the pick and makes them pay.

Agreed... Give me a guy who makes plays on the ball.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Boysboy;2318329 said:
Samuels isn't even a very good cover corner to begin with, so what's your point?

My point is who is the better playmaker? Who makes the QB think before he throws the ball? Who is a better fit right now? How many interceptions does this team have?

Boysboy

Reaction score
What is with all these Newman-bashing threads? If Samuels were here, we would be criticizing him even more.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Vinnie2u;2318358 said:
My point is who is the better playmaker? Who makes the QB think before he throws the ball? Who is a better fit right now? How many interceptions does this team have?

Where's our pass rush? Doesn't it all start up front? If you don't give opposing QBs time to throw, isn't this when they start making poor decisions? If you give them alot of time to throw, is this when they'll pick you apart?

So what good would Samuels do for us without a pass rush?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Boysboy;2318360 said:
What is with all these Newman-bashing threads? If Samuels were here, we would be criticizing him even more.

I'm not bashing Newman.. He's very good.. Just that sometimes fans over inflate the value of a player.. Also Jerry is very loyal so he tends to give contracts to players that he should let go. New England and Pittsburgh are great at letting a player go at the right time..