How many would take a pay cut?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke won't be. He wants to be paid as the highest paid RB, however his deal with not be as much as DLaw or Dak or Cooper. If Zeke was asking for QB money I would say he was crazy same with being paid as a top DE or WR but he is not asking for that. He is looking to be the highest paid RB. People have debated if Dak should get top QB money yet in my mind there is no doubt about the top RB in the league.
And by citing Gurley's deal, him being considered among the best, the FO agreed with him. What makes this situation so different is that when Emmitt was out, there weren't all of these other players waiting to get paid.

The Joneses are coming to grips they can't pay everyone and field a team and have any resemblance of depth. Too much to too few is the downfall of many a team.

Reaction score
this is not a case of absolute rights and wrongs. zeke might get his money or end up not playing this year and next out of stubborn pride. even many of leveon bell's teammates turned on him in the end. but no matter the eventual resolution, a happy ending is looking less and less likely. I prefer a Jaylon smith story. and I bet his soon to be opened cryotherapy clinic at the star will put him over the top as well as layout a future for him after football.
No question.

Jaylons business dealings with Jerry on the side will help him long after he retires. I'm sure Zeke could have had similar opportunities. But he may have burned that bridge with his holdout.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
1. His "leverage" is to harm the team. As a fan, that should bother you. But you sound more like one of these guys more interested in pet cats than the team.

2. I guess the term "gauranteed money" is new to you?

3. The team MADE Demarco Murray. That OL and Romo........ he was nothing special without that supporting cast as he proved in Philly and later in TN. He even admitted leaving Dallas was a mistake.
His leverage is his absence could hurt the team. This is the business of the NFL.

Nothing bothers me more than Jerry’s insistence on being GM handicapping football operations.

cern

Reaction score
I think some fans have this illusion that everyone is greedy.
I try not to confuse greed with wisdom. Jaylon took a bit less in terms of salary for his position, but I bet his new business venture will carry him over the top. he played it smart and probably got far better advice and guidance from professionals than that which zeke is getting which seems predicated on nothing more than being the highest paid. this eliminates any other options. not to mention zeke isn't exactly a media darling that will garner tons of endorsement money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hey, all you take less so we can be more guys, why didn't Lawrence do that? Is it up to one player to take the hit? Why didn't all of these highly paid players like Wilson, Rodgers and Wentz take less? How about Mack and Donald, why didn't they take less?

It's all well and good that we'd think any player in his prime would take less to get that ring but that's just not the case. It's not about rings or the team, it's all about the money. That is the reason they play the game.

And, my friends, if this FA situation and cap had existed back in the 60's and 70's, think the Cowboys would have had that 20 years of a winning record or GB has that dynasty or PIT or SF or the Cowboys in the 90's. One guy, just one guy, has figured out how to make the cap work in his favor and not against him. All of the others are at the mercy of the mercs. It's just the nature of the business because it's only a game for 3.5 hours a week.

I agree. DLaw did not give a discount nor did Zack Martin. Players are not giving discounts, now many will have their contracts altered to free up cash to help get others signed. Tyron Smith did it 3 times where his salary was converted to a bonus pay out freeing up millions.

Reaction score
Would SMART players want less money? Even the dumb players hire SMART agents.
Richard Sherman is a pretty smart guy, going to Stanford and all.

But he dumped his agent and made his own deal. I heard Bobby Wagner did the same. New trend? Who knows?

Most NFL players don't have the financial background or acumen to do what Sherman did.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
And by citing Gurley's deal, him being considered among the best, the FO agreed with him. What makes this situation so different is that when Emmitt was out, there weren't all of these other players waiting to get paid.

The Joneses are coming to grips they can't pay everyone and field a team and have any resemblance of depth. Too much to too few is the downfall of many a team.

I agree, it is not an easy task if it were the deal would already have been done. I do think though there will be a deal done. I think this would be easier had Zeke waited until next year to have his deal done.

erod

Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.

Depends on what my company's salary cap figure is, how long of a guaranteed contract I'm getting, and how much I need those other employees to be successful at my job.

kskboys

Reaction score
You make it sound like greedy is a dirty word?

Greed is the fuel to our Capitalism.
It can be. Depends on the depth.

If you are already being offered enough for your kids kids kids to be rich and you're holding out for more, that is bad greed.

It's not black and white, Greg, not matter how hard you strive to make it so.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yeah and it maybe SJ fault. SJ said earlier it was gurly money. They offered him bell money. I would turn it down to. Offer him gurly plus a dollar. Not market setting. But what he said he was offering.

This isn't entirely correct Glim. Jones said that they know that the negotiation starts at Gurley money. He never said that this is what the Cowboys were going to offer him. I mean, negotiation can be negotiated up or down, according to leverage. Honestly, neither Dak nor Zeke have any real leverage, at this point. Jerry does. I think it is what it is.

cern

Reaction score
No question.

Jaylons business dealings with Jerry on the side will help him long after he retires. I'm sure Zeke could have had similar opportunities. But he may have burned that bridge with his holdout.
I don't know the extent of jerry's involvement. i'm sure it's something the league would monitor to prevent owners from circumventing the cap. all I know so far is that the clinic will be opening up at the star. there will also be physical therapy clinics in the immediate area and undoubtedly specialized surgery clinics as well. but I have no doubt there will be a steady stream of patients sent his way. the area is flooded with star high school football teams and soccer teams. either way, it will be a boon for Jaylon.

Reaction score

I have more criticism for Jerry/Stephen opening their big, fat mouths during contracts negotiations than I have for Zeke and Dak.

They do just as much harm to the team by not shutting their pie holes regarding contracts as the players.

kskboys

Reaction score
Hey, all you take less so we can be more guys, why didn't Lawrence do that? Is it up to one player to take the hit? Why didn't all of these highly paid players like Wilson, Rodgers and Wentz take less? How about Mack and Donald, why didn't they take less?

It's all well and good that we'd think any player in his prime would take less to get that ring but that's just not the case. It's not about rings or the team, it's all about the money. That is the reason they play the game.

And, my friends, if this FA situation and cap had existed back in the 60's and 70's, think the Cowboys would have had that 20 years of a winning record or GB has that dynasty or PIT or SF or the Cowboys in the 90's. One guy, just one guy, has figured out how to make the cap work in his favor and not against him. All of the others are at the mercy of the mercs. It's just the nature of the business because it's only a game for 3.5 hours a week.
DLaw did take a bit less.

Reaction score
I don't know the extent of jerry's involvement. i'm sure it's something the league would monitor to prevent owners from circumventing the cap. all I know so far is that the clinic will be opening up at the star. there will also be physical therapy clinics in the immediate area and undoubtedly specialized surgery clinics as well. but I have no doubt there will be a steady stream of patients sent his way. the area is flooded with star high school football teams and soccer teams. either way, it will be a boon for Jaylon.
Don't kid yourself. Jerry is very involved behind the scenes. Very, very quiet.

This is the Brady/TB12/Kraft model.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DLaw did take a bit less.

This is true but honestly, and none of us know this, it comes down to what is offered? Yeah, a player could be reported as making more money, like Wentz and his 32 mil per year, but the truth of it is in the language right? Wentz's deal is really a 26 mil deal annually over 6 years and that's just the truth of it, but it doesn't get reported that way. We don't know what was actually offered so it's like we are arguing over a flea on a big dogs back, so to speak, at this point.

I will say this thou, I suspect that Jerry and Stephen are offering more guaranteed money, in exchange for less annual money. I say this because I believe that they both believe all the players are keepers. They are not worried that they won't be around for the length of the deal so it makes it easier, makes more sense, to offer more guranteed money. JMO

pansophy

Reaction score
This is to all the posters who want players to take a pay cut.

If your boss came up to you and said would you take a $4 an hour pay cut so he can hire a couple extra employees so that more work could get done more efficiently. But if you don't take a pay cut they will have to lay off a few employees. So who's taking that pay cut?

I understand some make less then others but I know some here make good money. So who's taking the pay cut?

This is for all the posters who want players to take a pay cuts for the greater good of the team, the same team that will eventually cut you to save money.
I wouldn't take a pay cut to go to the Browns, but if I believed the team could win in Dallas I would have a good chance to make more money in endorsements than in the extra salary I might make somewhere else.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Would SMART players want less money? Even the dumb players hire SMART agents.
Opportunity cost seems to be seldom considered by players and Agent's are just parasites looking at the bottom line of a contract. Getting $8.67M in Texas or Florida is the same as $10M in Cali. The smartest decision won't always be the one for the most salary.