How much better would the offense be with Martin or Knight at RT

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
I don’t remember how long Knight is out for but Steele was the offensive version of Jaylon tonight.

On the second reverse to Wilson, Steele didn’t even touch Cox, just let him fly through.

Same thing happened the next drive on the first running play to Zeke.

Steele is this teams version of Alex Barron. Like DiNucci, he’s a UDFA that needs a full offseason to get up to speed. He may be serviceable in the future but Looney/McGovern going to RG and Martin sliding over is a better idea than what’s happening now.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Patch one hole just to open another. The net result is probably even to be honest. May be worse depending on the matchup. Fletcher cox vs a backup G is a bad idea. Next week TJ watt against these Ts is scary though.

it’s really damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
McCarthy is willing to die on this hill because Steele was "his guy he picked." This has been discussed ad nauseum on the Fan.

I've always been a proponent of starting your best 5 guys but who am I?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Everytime Steele gives up a sack...it's a drive killer. He's good for 3 a game or more....Hard to overcome...and get a win when half your drives are stalled by O-line breakdowns.

Why we have kept on trotting Steele out there is beyond me....Mcgovern didn't play too bad. Martin looked good @ RT...roll with it.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Steele has no business playing NFL football.

It'd be better right now to experiment and see what Williams could do at Tackle, or put Martin there.

This is all about treating this year as a preseason and evaluating who you've got.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Steele has no business playing NFL football.

It'd be better right now to experiment and see what Williams could do at Tackle, or put Martin there.

This is all about treating this year as a preseason and evaluating who you've got.
I think that can be said for almost all rookie UDFAs. As much as goes into scouting, there are hardly any trench players that are even servicable as rookie UDFAs. They mostly need strength and conditioning (see Connor Williams), but Steele needs a lot of technique also.

His career isn’t over. He just needs to do his work in practice. We shouldn’t see him again until the 2nd quarter of preseason games next August

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I think that can be said for almost all rookie UDFAs. As much as goes into scouting, there are hardly any trench players that are even servicable as rookie UDFAs. They mostly need strength and conditioning (see Connor Williams), but Steele needs a lot of technique also.

His career isn’t over. He just needs to do his work in practice. We shouldn’t see him again until the 2nd quarter of preseason games next August

I don't disagree but I'm harder on the decision to play raw tackles. Generally in a lost season I'm fine with playing guys that you wouldn't normally try. But at tackle, you're endangering the health of your QB when you play a guy that's as honestly unready as Steele is.

I guess you've got to learn about him somehow, but I don't want guys in the hospital because he can't hold a block.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If I had to patch a line together from what we have I think I'd go Zack at LT, Williams at LG, Baddass at C, Looney at RG and Erving at RT. I'd cut Steele. When Knight is back, he'd replace Erving.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I don’t remember how long Knight is out for but Steele was the offensive version of Jaylon tonight.

On the second reverse to Wilson, Steele didn’t even touch Cox, just let him fly through.

Steele is this teams version of Alex Barron. Like DiNucci, he’s a UDFA that needs a full offseason to get up to speed. He may be serviceable in the future but Looney/McGovern going to RG and Martin sliding over is a better idea than what’s happening now.

Martin? I say Williams. Williams was a very good T in college. The dummies here have been trying to make him a G. He isn’t. To save him he should be sent outside. Slide Looney or McGovern in his spot at G. It is worth a try.

Plankton

Reaction score
I have a feeling that they left Martin inside to negate Fletcher Cox last night. The last thing that a rookie 7th round QB getting his first ever start needs is for inside pressure. With mobility, and the ability to chip or keep a TE in, they could help Steele.

Going forward, it would make more sense to kick Martin outside, and slot McGovern back at RG. TJ Watt and Bud Dupree would kill Steele if they lined up over him.

FalseStart75Pozderac

Reaction score

Definitely approaching Chaz Green territory here. Should have benched him permanently after Zack went to RT that one game(Cleveland).

Even if he has a long-term upside, you need to protect his psyche. Don't have him shell-shocked before he even has a chance to be serviceable.

Obviously they see something in him, or there is an extreme case of stubbornness and pride to keep him on the field. Right now, to say he is a liability is an understatement.

calicowboy54

Reaction score

I like the idea of Knight at RT over moving martin.... lets get 1 side of the line solidified that might help.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yeah, he is a turnstile who needs technique. Bet we don't see Knight for a while after minor(?) knee surgery. What's wrong with the other guys like Henry or Mills?

SackMaster

Reaction score
The offense would be much better in Dak's absence if we could give the QB a little pass protection.
While I do not disagree with this statement, I would point out that Steele has started EVERY game this season, and when a Starting Quality QB has played, the Cowboys did not have too many issues scoring points.

I just wanted to point that out since posters always talked about how everything needed to be "perfect" for our Starting QB to do anything.

Just Sayin'

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
While I do not disagree with this statement, I would point out that Steele has started EVERY game this season, and when a Starting Quality QB has played, the Cowboys did not have too many issues scoring points.

I just wanted to point that out since posters always talked about how everything needed to be "perfect" for our Starting QB to do anything.

Just Sayin'

Well.. Dak had 4 picks and was strip sacked multiple times that were killer turnovers in the outcome of the game. And we went 1-3 to start the season.. So I know Dak had great stats but I believe those stats were a product of volume more than anything. Plus the Seahawks, Falcons, and Browns have trash pass defense.

Dak’s a good player but it’s not like he was overcoming things. He helped get us in some of those deficits.