CFZ How Much Decision-Making Authority Does Jerry Jones Possess As GM?

How much actual authority does Jones have as GM?

• Total voters

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the best decisions Jones has made post-Jimmy Johnson was arguably the hiring of Will McClay. As the eventual Cowboys Vice-President of Player Personnel, McClay helped re-structure more sound scouting communications and talent evaluation. McClay has proven to be a valuable asset under Jones.

Is McClay, and others within Jones' decision-making process, providing roster suggestions that Jones simply rubberstamps with his approval? Or does an individual who, regularly attends press conferences, is frequently interviewed on radio shows, talks with players one-on-one like his coaching staff, attends practices and coach/player meetings, hosts drafts in a lavish room with his throne positioned center stage for network cameras, etc...

...makes far more yes and no decisions about his roster (and coaches) than it may appear from the outside looking in? And to what degree?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
All the owner allows...and i dont think we have a Dr Jeckle/Mr Hyde problem here.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Think hes gotten a little better at following advice .
Especially on draft day
But hes still telling us who's gonna play and how much lol

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He trusts Stephen and McClay with the menial decisions/duties, but he only trusts himself for the more important stuff.

That way, Jerry can claim credit if any of those decisions end up being right.

Shane612

Reaction score
He's the owner, president, CEO, GM and parttime head coach.
He has total control of everything. He probably meddles in 99% of all football function of the Dallas Freak'n Cowboys. However, he's mellowed out over the years. It used to be 100%...lol

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the best decisions Jones has made post-Jimmy Johnson was arguably the hiring of Will McClay. As the eventual Cowboys Vice-President of Player Personnel, McClay helped re-structure more sound scouting communications and talent evaluation. McClay has proven to be a valuable asset under Jones.

Is McClay, and others within Jones' decision-making process, providing roster suggestions that Jones simply rubberstamps with his approval? Or does an individual who, regularly attends press conferences, is frequently interviewed on radio shows, talks with players one-on-one like his coaching staff, attends practices and coach/player meetings, hosts drafts in a lavish room with his throne positioned center stage for network cameras, etc...

...makes far more yes and no decisions about his roster (and coaches) than it may appear from the outside looking in? And to what degree?
Jerry started giving the reins to son Stephen in 2013. Stephen Jones promoted Will McClay to the top player evaluation job in 2014.

Since then Jerry overruled Stephen and gave Dez the big contract. Jerry also pushed for Gregory and Jaylon. Eventually SJ prevailed and cut Dez, Jaylon and didn't go all in to sign Gregory.

SJ pushed his red headed step brother out the door and hired McCarthy while Jerry was still having meetings with Garrett. Garrett was the final obstacle to SJ having complete control. McClay and McCarthy report to him and SJ reports to owner Jerry.

Obviously any owner can overrule the GM but Stephen Jones is the acting GM of the Cowboys.

conner01

Reaction score
He has 100% but that doesn’t mean he does listen to those around him
The draft is a prime example
Jerry may know the top guys but doubt he puts much time into scouting players. He listens to the people he trusts but in the end it’s always his decision, even if Stephen or mcclay had to convince him a bit

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
As much as he wants, when he wants it. He may defer more these days at 80 years old, but he's still top boss.
That's my take as well, but I think he allows the younger to be a man now, but with a watchful eye.

quickccc

Reaction score
Quite frankly Jerry Jones still has ALL of the decision-making authority,.. as he is still the owner of the Dallas Cowboys.

- Nowadays it's a matter of how much he is, has been willing to share and relinquish some of his General Manager role and lead football operations down to the one(s) he trusts with football decisions.
He wasn't willing to do that for very much of the past. It was all socks and jocks with him.

I commented in an previous post, that i laugh when i hear posts such as:
Jerry drafted him” ....” Jerry does not like safeties ",..etc.

- Jerry is indeed still involved and it's still his finger that is the one that pushes the final decision green launch button.
But imo, that button finger is more like a John Hancock signature on a paycheck.

- Now he is still the face and figure head representative of the Dallas Cowboys, ..he represents their image.
BUT I really and truly believe the nowadays true operating powers of the team direction is being led by his son Stephen Jones, and both Jones' most trusted football guy in Wil McClay.
And i really believe that stubborn- ego driven Jerry has finally surprisingly " soften " up to relinquish football operating powers to his son Stephen.

With Jerry, it’s no longer the “ my way or the highway” ego grunt that he chose to do in past years.

Example case in point. - In his earlier more ego-driven years, QB Johnny Manziel would have been the first round selected, pick ,,instead of future HOF’er OG Zack Martin.

- Jerry even griped about not picking Manziel on ESPN, but something,.. somehow Jerry seemed to have listened, fought his urges, and relinguish the green light decision.. to the
trusted people at his side – Stephen and Wil McClay.
Why is Jerry doing so now more than ever.? i have my thoughts, theories,.. .

- Wil McClay is a recommending, influencing advising voice .. player scouting profile and background, pluses/minuses, player role, in connections with trainers and coaches
and an operations that covers player personnel and player acquisition.
Cowboys have had past personnel guys before in Jeff Ireland, Tom Ciskowsk., but imo, they are not on the level of Wil McClay

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Jerry has told anybody that will listen that he still, and always will, have "final say."

Whatever his hillbilly son decides to do with personnel and contracts, I truly believe he still has to run it by the old man. One of my biggest issues with Jerry's approach as General Manager (especially recently) is that he allows way too many people in the organization to have some degree of decision making power. That's how you end up with premium draft picks like Taco Charlton and goofy trades for guys like Jihad Ward and Eli Ankou. I truly believe that roster building is a matter between the chief talent evaluator and Head Coach, but it can't happen that way in Dallas because Jerry isn't a football guy that can objectively evaluate NFL talent.

visionary

Reaction score
I voted 75% but it is actually 0%

signed
Well known self styled “Cowboys historian”
(No longer on CZ)

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
All the yeas and nays still gotta go thru him. He signs the checks. He may not like some decisions but he still has to approve them, so he doesn't always get his way. But that is grudgingly and not because he is giving the power to Stevie boy.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
he has the veto on everything. He probably hired Rich to take pictures of the cheerleaders.

I have no doubt about that ....... many cheerleaders have come out in the years saying how Jerry would throw parties on his plane and demand the cheerleaders dress in the skimpy uniforms to serve his guests

JBS

Reaction score
How much authority Jerry has (100%) vs how much he uses it are two completely different things

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
McCarthy doesn't know the offense well enough to call plays. That's about all I need to know about Jerry.