How much defensive turnover can we expect?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm still hesitant projecting a top 5 selection. Still see win's left on their schedule.

looks like Martin and our other tackle are going to be out for several weeks so that bodes well. But yah, I have fears as well that we may win a few. With Ciny QB out and now Ravens QB on Covid that doesnt help.

That vikings win really hurt us.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
i dont think there will be many teams interested in signing many of the current defensive players on this cowboys team they all pretty much look like junk

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
DE-Lawrence, Aldon*, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Crawford*, Carter

Aldon Smith is a player the team has already stated they would like to resign. Crawford's contract finally off the books and he will most likely not return in any capacity.

DT-Hill, Gallimore, Woods*

Woods didn't sign his contract until very late, which suggests he a) wasn't happy with the restricted amount or b) his role as being more of a backup with the Poe signing. c) both. I don't believe he returns next season. Front Office probably needs to double dip in this area of need, sign at least 1 veteran starter through fa and draft 1-2 more.

LB-Lve, Jaylon, Lee*, Thomas*

Can Lve be dependable to stay healthy? Does Jaylon need to be replaced now? Is Lee career about over? Major question marks throughout this group. Need to sign a veteran capable of starting if called upon. Need a future starter in the draft, along with depth at the position.

CB-Diggs, Brown, Awuzie*, Lewis*, Canady

With the expected departures of Awuzie/Lewis, there is a need for a future starter and depth at the position.

S-Woods*, Wilson, Thompson, Robinson

Woods hasn't done enough to warrant an extension. Wilson looks like a starter for this team next yr. Thompson is most likely going to be released. We have no idea where Robinson is in his development. Fa starter, future starter is needed.

As we see wholesale changes are needed on every level. What is a realistic expectation of defensive turnover for next season?

-2 stop-gap fa starters, probably at DT & S
-1 to 2 plug and play impact starters (if picking in top 10)
-1 to 2 future starters

I believe it is realistic to expect 4 new defensive starters on opening night next season with the possibility of more late in the season. Of coarse, they need to hit on whom ever they either sign or draft.

G
I would let woods and woods walk. I would ask Jaylon to take a pay cut, if not, then part ways. I would offer Awuzie a qualifying 1st round offer so we keep him one more year (then go into draft and see if we land Surtain or Farley. Its time for Lee to go unless he takes the absolute minimum. Aldon is older, so no more than a 3 year contract. we need to focus on finding some safties. and a couple of DTs. an couple of LBs

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I think we’ll see another attempt at fixing the interior DL, either early in the the draft or FA. Crawford will be gone obviously. I think there’s a good chance Aldon moves on to a “contender”.

The biggest turnover should occur in the secondary. Chido and Lewis need to go and we need several new faces in the secondary.

ondaedg

Reaction score

Aldon Smith is a player the team has already stated they would like to resign. Crawford's contract finally off the books and he will most likely not return in any capacity.

Woods didn't sign his contract until very late, which suggests he a) wasn't happy with the restricted amount or b) his role as being more of a backup with the Poe signing. c) both. I don't believe he returns next season. Front Office probably needs to double dip in this area of need, sign at least 1 veteran starter through fa and draft 1-2 more.

Can Lve be dependable to stay healthy? Does Jaylon need to be replaced now? Is Lee career about over? Major question marks throughout this group. Need to sign a veteran capable of starting if called upon. Need a future starter in the draft, along with depth at the position.

With the expected departures of Awuzie/Lewis, there is a need for a future starter and depth at the position.

Woods hasn't done enough to warrant an extension. Wilson looks like a starter for this team next yr. Thompson is most likely going to be released. We have no idea where Robinson is in his development. Fa starter, future starter is needed.

As we see wholesale changes are needed on every level. What is a realistic expectation of defensive turnover for next season?

-1 to 2 future starters

I believe it is realistic to expect 4 new defensive starters on opening night next season with the possibility of more late in the season. Of coarse, they need to hit on whom ever they either sign or draft.
G

We need at least 6 new starters. This current roster does not fit into Nolan's defense.

We need a true MLB. Jaylon needs to go and LVE is not physical enough to be a mlb.
We need two true DTs. Hill and Woods are better fits in Oakland.
And we need playmakers at cb/s. We have guys playing but noone makes the big plays besides our injured rookie cb.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

-1 to 2 future starters

G

Add 1 quality DT and 1 quality CB and all existing players get better.

Trade down (probably getting pick between #3 to #6) to about #10 or #12 such the the best player available is ether a DT or CB.

Some current great NFL Players not drafted in the top 8:
#13 DL Aaron Donald
#12 Fletcher Cox
#9 OT Tyron Smith
#16 OL Zack Martin
#10 CB Stephon Gilmore

Majic

Reaction score

Trade down (probably getting pick between #3 to #6) to about #10 or #12 such the the best player available is ether a DT or CB.

#13 DL Aaron Donald
#12 Fletcher Cox
#9 OT Tyron Smith
#16 OL Zack Martin
#10 CB Stephon Gilmore

I agree with this, but recent drafts have shown trading down is never guaranteed. It seems to be getting harder each year

Cowboyny

Reaction score

#13 DL Aaron Donald
#12 Fletcher Cox
#9 OT Tyron Smith
#16 OL Zack Martin
#10 CB Stephon Gilmore

I don't believe they are going to have a top 5 selection, still believe they may win another game or two which would put them closer to that latter part of the top 10. With prospects having similar grades, I don't envision many teams looking to trade up for a non-QB. In that 8-12 range, a corner could offer the most value, unless a player like Parson slides.

If both A. Woods, X. Woods leave via fa, they are going to have to sign fa veteran starters to fill those starter needs.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We need at least 6 new starters. This current roster does not fit into Nolan's defense.

We need a true MLB. Jaylon needs to go and LVE is not physical enough to be a mlb.
We need two true DTs. Hill and Woods are better fits in Oakland.
And we need playmakers at cb/s. We have guys playing but noone makes the big plays besides our injured rookie cb.

Agree with everything you stated!

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I would let woods and woods walk. I would ask Jaylon to take a pay cut, if not, then part ways. I would offer Awuzie a qualifying 1st round offer so we keep him one more year (then go into draft and see if we land Surtain or Farley. Its time for Lee to go unless he takes the absolute minimum. Aldon is older, so no more than a 3 year contract. we need to focus on finding some safties. and a couple of DTs. an couple of LBs

Awuzie is scheduled to become unrestricted not restricted. He will hit the open market.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stephen will use free agency like he has the last few years. Plug holes so they can draft how they want. Most of these guys will be free agents unless they veteran minimum deals.

Johnny23

Reaction score

#13 DL Aaron Donald
#12 Fletcher Cox
#9 OT Tyron Smith
#16 OL Zack Martin
#10 CB Stephon Gilmore
There's not a defensive tackle worth it in this draft. For a trade down and getting value in return for a top 5 pick.

EJK24

Reaction score
Stephen will use free agency like he has the last few years. Plug holes so they can draft how they want. Most of these guys will be free agents unless they veteran minimum deals.

I understand that logic but the problem is you can't plug holes with bottom of the barrel guys who ultimately get cut before ever contributing. McCoy got hurt but Poe and Worley for example were supposed to be stop gap guys but couldn't even do that.

I understand we can't spend on top notch guys at every position but for the most part the saying rings true, you get what you pay for. If you look for the cheapest options available, you will get that kind of production. It gives false hope that you have that position covered even for the short term when in reality its not and then you wind up throwing in a guy who wasn't expected to be ready to start and it just continues being a problem all season long like just like we are seeing this year.

You need multiple starters in FA this year on the defense or we will have another year of horrendous defensive play. We need to hit in the draft as well but a couple of proven FA vets need to be on this team next year if we want to see improvement.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I understand that logic but the problem is you can't plug holes with bottom of the barrel guys who ultimately get cut before ever contributing. McCoy got hurt but Poe and Worley for example were supposed to be stop gap guys but couldn't even do that.

I understand we can't spend on top notch guys at every position but for the most part the saying rings true, you get what you pay for. If you look for the cheapest options available, you will get that kind of production. It gives false hope that you have that position covered even for the short term when in reality its not and then you wind up throwing in a guy who wasn't expected to be ready to start and it just continues being a problem all season long like just like we are seeing this year.

You need multiple starters in FA this year on the defense or we will have another year of horrendous defensive play. We need to hit in the draft as well but a couple of proven FA vets need to be on this team next year if we want to see improvement.

They just don't have the money this off-season to go out and find quality fa starters. Keep in mind cap is expected to decrease and Dak could be playing on another franchise tag.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
This Front Office has been slow to admit to or address weaknesses.

Even with that, we should have at least 4 new starters on defense next year. The team also has 10 draft picks and they easily fall in love with their own selections.

1Tech: Poe was a bust signing and Antwaun Woods is an average player. He'll be a restricted free agent so easy to retain, but the team is likely to bring in competition. Unfortunately, this draft is not great at DT, especially towards the top.

My suggestion: With the unique cap situation next year, look for teams to cut solid veterans who have one year left on their deal in their efforts to get under the cap. Someone like Malcolm Brown (6'2", 320, Age 26, 70.6 PFF grade) with the Saints could definitely be a cap casualty.
dy52vzveba7votcpswxr

Sam Linebacker: Sean Lee and Joe Thomas are both pending free agents and north of 30. While, the SAM backer is not an every down player anymore, it is technically a starter.

My suggestion: I've been watching a lot of Tulsa games this year to scout the DB's, but it's been Linebacker Zaven Collins (6'4" 260, Age 21, 91.7 PFF grade) who has caught my (and everyone else's) eye. If the Cowboys can get him in the early 2nd, or even trade back into the late 1st, they would be adding a special player with unique athleticism and speed for a 260-pound man.
r960-843a3337cf0fd9130e9080101c6196b8.jpg

Outside Cornerback: Trevon Diggs is one starter, and the team is foolishly enamored with Anthony Brown inside. Awuzie and Lewis are free agents.

My suggestion: If you guys know me at all, you know where I'm going here. Virginia Tech's Caleb Farley (6'2", 207, Age 22, 90.5 PFF coverage grade in 2019, passer rating against was 26.8%) should be within range of the Cowboys 1st round pick. A special athlete with elite speed, Farley is a difference maker at Corner.
caleb-farley-vt-usat.jpg

Safety: The team has tried to sell Xavier Woods as a training camp superstar the past few seasons. Regardless of the validity of that claim, it has not translated onto the field and it's time to move on with Woods hitting free agency. Donovan Wilson looks promising at one Safety spot. Team needs to get him some help so he can play closer to the line of scrimmage. Need a centerfielder.

My suggestion: Three things would have to happen for the Cowboys to be able to add a player the caliber I'm suggesting here. One, the Broncos would have to decide not to put a 2nd year Franchise Tag on him. Two, the Cowboys would have to get Dak to sign an extension with a low first year (very common tactic), similar to what the Chiefs did with Patrick Mahomes. Last, the Cowboys would have to change their views on both elite free agents and the Safety position. If they could add Justin Simmons (6'2", 202, Age 27, 88.8 PFF grade) the Cowboys would give their young Secondary talent an All-Pro veteran presence on the back end.
Justin-Simmons.jpg

If up to me, I'd also find a new starter at 3Tech but as I mentioned, this FO loves their own draft picks, so Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore will get every opportunity to win that job next season.

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The business side would be a 10 million cap hit to release him this off-season.

Dead money cap hits are an issue of accounting, now or later. Just shift someone else's money into the future instead.

7.2mil *more* in cumulative cap hit from Jaylon's 2021 salary is something we can and should avoid.

blueblood70

Reaction score
easy

A LOT

OUR FOCUS MUST BE THERE UNLESS DAKS NOT COMING BACK,..

we do nit need any offensive pickups anywhere really...if you look deep we could literally bring our starting Offense back and the backups created this season and simply go 100% after defenders on every level..