How much defensive turnover can we expect?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
There's not a defensive tackle worth it in this draft. For a trade down and getting value in return for a top 5 pick.

Many people were high on South Carolina's DT Kinlaw. SF picked him with pick #14. In 10 games he has 1.5 sacks (all in the last game against NO), 1 tackle for loss, 10 solo tackles and 12 tackle assists.

Panthers took Derrick Brown at #7 and in 10 games he has 0 sacks, 15 solo tackles and 5 tackles for loss.

Neither of the top two DTs in this year's draft, Brown and Kinlaw, are doing jack squat.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
we do nit need any offensive pickups anywhere really
Agree with this sentiment.

Our starting/contributing offensive lineup will realistically look like this:

LT Tyron Smith
LG Connor Williams/Connor McGovern
C Tyler Biadasz
RG Zack Martin
RT La'el Collins
TE Dalton Schultz/Blake Jarwin
WR Amari Cooper
WR Michael Gallup
WR CeeDee Lamb
RB Ezekiel Elliott
QB Dak Prescott

Everyone is under contract already with the exception of Dak.

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
Agree with this sentiment.

Our starting/contributing offensive lineup will realistically look like this:

LT Tyron Smith
LG Connor Williams/Connor McGovern
C Tyler Biadasz
RG Zack Martin
RT La'El Collins
TE Dalton Schultz/Blake Jarwin
WR Amari Cooper
WR Michael Gallup
WR CeeDee Lamb
RB Ezekiel Elliott
QB Dak Prescott

Everyone is under contract ready with the exception of Dak.
exactly and backups are in place Cam erving, steele, pollard ,looney, bell and Knight all of which got great field experience during this mess of injuries.

really need nothing except figuring out dak but technically he can be FT again..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Dead money cap hits are an issue of accounting, now or later. Just shift someone else's money into the future instead.

7.2mil *more* in cumulative cap hit from Jaylon's 2021 salary is something we can and should avoid.

Is it doable? Yes, but it will force Jerry to admit mistake. I think he is more in love with his story, then he is as a player.

JBS

Reaction score
This Front Office has been slow to admit to or address weaknesses.

Even with that, we should have at least 4 new starters on defense next year. The team also has 10 draft picks and they easily fall in love with their own selections.

1Tech: Poe was a bust signing and Antwaun Woods is an average player. He'll be a restricted free agent so easy to retain, but the team is likely to bring in competition. Unfortunately, this draft is not great at DT, especially towards the top.

My suggestion: With the unique cap situation next year, look for teams to cut solid veterans who have one year left on their deal in their efforts to get under the cap. Someone like Malcolm Brown (6'2", 320, Age 26, 70.6 PFF grade) with the Saints could definitely be a cap casualty.
dy52vzveba7votcpswxr

Sam Linebacker: Sean Lee and Joe Thomas are both pending free agents and north of 30. While, the SAM backer is not an every down player anymore, it is technically a starter.

My suggestion: I've been watching a lot of Tulsa games this year to scout the DB's, but it's been Linebacker Zaven Collins (6'4" 260, Age 21, 91.7 PFF grade) who has caught my (and everyone else's) eye. If the Cowboys can get him in the early 2nd, or even trade back into the late 1st, they would be adding a special player with unique athleticism and speed for a 260-pound man.
r960-843a3337cf0fd9130e9080101c6196b8.jpg

Outside Cornerback: Trevon Diggs is one starter, and the team is foolishly enamored with Anthony Brown inside. Awuzie and Lewis are free agents.

My suggestion: If you guys know me at all, you know where I'm going here. Virginia Tech's Caleb Farley (6'2", 207, Age 22, 90.5 PFF coverage grade in 2019, passer rating against was 26.8%) should be within range of the Cowboys 1st round pick. A special athlete with elite speed, Farley is a difference maker at Corner.
caleb-farley-vt-usat.jpg

Safety: The team has tried to sell Xavier Woods as a training camp superstar the past few seasons. Regardless of the validity of that claim, it has not translated onto the field and it's time to move on with Woods hitting free agency. Donovan Wilson looks promising at one Safety spot. Team needs to get him some help so he can play closer to the line of scrimmage. Need a centerfielder.

My suggestion: Three things would have to happen for the Cowboys to be able to add a player the caliber I'm suggesting here. One, the Broncos would have to decide not to put a 2nd year Franchise Tag on him. Two, the Cowboys would have to get Dak to sign an extension with a low first year (very common tactic), similar to what the Chiefs did with Patrick Mahomes. Last, the Cowboys would have to change their views on both elite free agents and the Safety position. If they could add Justin Simmons (6'2", 202, Age 27, 88.8 PFF grade) the Cowboys would give their young Secondary talent an All-Pro veteran presence on the back end.
Justin-Simmons.jpg

If up to me, I'd also find a new starter at 3Tech but as I mentioned, this FO loves their own draft picks, so Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore will get every opportunity to win that job next season.

3T absolutely needs to be addressed

MLB / WLB needs to be addressed..LVE maybe can play 1..need a starter for the other..

Other than that I think we are good here

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This Front Office has been slow to admit to or address weaknesses.

Even with that, we should have at least 4 new starters on defense next year. The team also has 10 draft picks and they easily fall in love with their own selections.

1Tech: Poe was a bust signing and Antwaun Woods is an average player. He'll be a restricted free agent so easy to retain, but the team is likely to bring in competition. Unfortunately, this draft is not great at DT, especially towards the top.

My suggestion: With the unique cap situation next year, look for teams to cut solid veterans who have one year left on their deal in their efforts to get under the cap. Someone like Malcolm Brown (6'2", 320, Age 26, 70.6 PFF grade) with the Saints could definitely be a cap casualty.
dy52vzveba7votcpswxr

Sam Linebacker: Sean Lee and Joe Thomas are both pending free agents and north of 30. While, the SAM backer is not an every down player anymore, it is technically a starter.

My suggestion: I've been watching a lot of Tulsa games this year to scout the DB's, but it's been Linebacker Zaven Collins (6'4" 260, Age 21, 91.7 PFF grade) who has caught my (and everyone else's) eye. If the Cowboys can get him in the early 2nd, or even trade back into the late 1st, they would be adding a special player with unique athleticism and speed for a 260-pound man.
r960-843a3337cf0fd9130e9080101c6196b8.jpg

Outside Cornerback: Trevon Diggs is one starter, and the team is foolishly enamored with Anthony Brown inside. Awuzie and Lewis are free agents.

My suggestion: If you guys know me at all, you know where I'm going here. Virginia Tech's Caleb Farley (6'2", 207, Age 22, 90.5 PFF coverage grade in 2019, passer rating against was 26.8%) should be within range of the Cowboys 1st round pick. A special athlete with elite speed, Farley is a difference maker at Corner.
caleb-farley-vt-usat.jpg

Safety: The team has tried to sell Xavier Woods as a training camp superstar the past few seasons. Regardless of the validity of that claim, it has not translated onto the field and it's time to move on with Woods hitting free agency. Donovan Wilson looks promising at one Safety spot. Team needs to get him some help so he can play closer to the line of scrimmage. Need a centerfielder.

My suggestion: Three things would have to happen for the Cowboys to be able to add a player the caliber I'm suggesting here. One, the Broncos would have to decide not to put a 2nd year Franchise Tag on him. Two, the Cowboys would have to get Dak to sign an extension with a low first year (very common tactic), similar to what the Chiefs did with Patrick Mahomes. Last, the Cowboys would have to change their views on both elite free agents and the Safety position. If they could add Justin Simmons (6'2", 202, Age 27, 88.8 PFF grade) the Cowboys would give their young Secondary talent an All-Pro veteran presence on the back end.
Justin-Simmons.jpg

If up to me, I'd also find a new starter at 3Tech but as I mentioned, this FO loves their own draft picks, so Trysten Hill and Neville Gallimore will get every opportunity to win that job next season.

Excellent post!

-We are probably going to see short-term fa DT starters signed. They will also add 1-2 more via the draft.

-Sam Linebacker in Nolan's scheme is more of an up Defensive End like Aldon/Gregory or even Anae. The need is another starting cailber linebacker who can play the sam or the will. Hopefully, can overtake Jaylon at some point. Not sure if either Thomas or Lee returns, but they should also add another veteran as well to replace them.

-Almost have to sign a fa Free Safety if X. Woods departs. They just have zero depth at the position, where he still have no idea where Robinson fits in. Simmons might be a pipedream, but you never can rule it out. I expect the team to add a future starter at the position in that 2-4 rd range. Maybe another later on for depth/special teams.

-Many won't admit that corner is a major need. They have Diggs, Brown, Canady (more of a special teamer) under contract. They are going to have to add another veteran for depth purposes as well as drafting a future starter and possibly a slot corner down the line.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
3T absolutely needs to be addressed
Agreed, but they will talk about all of flashes that Hill and Gallimore showed. If they can create enough cap room, I would take a chance on 49er Solomon Thomas (6'3", 280, Age 25) who is coming off an ACL injury. The former 3rd overall pick has bounced between End and Tackle and was on a crowded, talented 49ers D-LIne with Nick Bosa, DeForest Bucker, Arik Armstead, and Dee Ford. I've always thought his skillset was best suited for 3Tech, not Edge.

MLB / WLB needs to be addressed..LVE maybe can play 1..need a starter for the other..
Agreed. I just don't see Jerry being able to move on from Jaylon at this point, especially since it's a wash next year cap-wise. I also think Zaven Collins will be an every down, impact linebacker very soon in his NFL career and that would allow the Cowboys to easily walk away from Jaylon after 2021.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
On defense Dallas should keep DeMarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Neville Gallimore, Leighton Vander Esch, Trevon Diggs, and Donovan Wilson and clean house with everybody else.

The problem with cutting Jaylon Smith is his contract. And that will make it even more difficult to trade him.

JBS

Reaction score
Agreed, but they will talk about all of flashes that Hill and Gallimore showed. If they can create enough cap room, I would take a chance on 49er Solomon Thomas (6'3", 280, Age 25) who is coming off an ACL injury. The former 3rd overall pick has bounced between End and Tackle and was on a crowded, talented 49ers D-LIne with Nick Bosa, DeForest Bucker, Arik Armstead, and Dee Ford. I've always thought his skillset was best suited for 3Tech, not Edge.

Agreed. I just don't see Jerry being able to move on from Jaylon at this point, especially since it's a wash next year cap-wise. I also think Zaven Collins will be an every down, impact linebacker very soon in his NFL career and that would allow the Cowboys to easily walk away from Jaylon after 2021.

Can't argue w any of this..all is true

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
DE-Lawrence, Aldon*, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Crawford*, Carter

Aldon Smith is a player the team has already stated they would like to resign. Crawford's contract finally off the books and he will most likely not return in any capacity.

DT-Hill, Gallimore, Woods*

Woods didn't sign his contract until very late, which suggests he a) wasn't happy with the restricted amount or b) his role as being more of a backup with the Poe signing. c) both. I don't believe he returns next season. Front Office probably needs to double dip in this area of need, sign at least 1 veteran starter through fa and draft 1-2 more.

LB-Lve, Jaylon, Lee*, Thomas*

Can Lve be dependable to stay healthy? Does Jaylon need to be replaced now? Is Lee career about over? Major question marks throughout this group. Need to sign a veteran capable of starting if called upon. Need a future starter in the draft, along with depth at the position.

CB-Diggs, Brown, Awuzie*, Lewis*, Canady

With the expected departures of Awuzie/Lewis, there is a need for a future starter and depth at the position.

S-Woods*, Wilson, Thompson, Robinson

Woods hasn't done enough to warrant an extension. Wilson looks like a starter for this team next yr. Thompson is most likely going to be released. We have no idea where Robinson is in his development. Fa starter, future starter is needed.

As we see wholesale changes are needed on every level. What is a realistic expectation of defensive turnover for next season?

-2 stop-gap fa starters, probably at DT & S
-1 to 2 plug and play impact starters (if picking in top 10)
-1 to 2 future starters

I believe it is realistic to expect 4 new defensive starters on opening night next season with the possibility of more late in the season. Of coarse, they need to hit on whom ever they either sign or draft.

G

THIS!
:clap:
Mateys this is my meat and potatoes re Cowboys analysis.
This is mag and tv analyst worthy, and the latter get paid.6 figures.
I get this SUPERB FREE analysis about our defence for which I'd gladly pay.
Not in 100% agreement but, damn, son, this as good as it gets.
All you hangers on, it'll be a crime to not Like this post.:thumbup:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm still hesitant projecting a top 5 selection. Still see win's left on their schedule.
The way I look at it at this point chronologically..
At this point with 3 wins we are in the Sewell sweepstakes,, any chance you got to grab a future stud at LT than you take it.
Every win from this point takes the best pick available further out of focus.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I understand that logic but the problem is you can't plug holes with bottom of the barrel guys who ultimately get cut before ever contributing. McCoy got hurt but Poe and Worley for example were supposed to be stop gap guys but couldn't even do that.

I understand we can't spend on top notch guys at every position but for the most part the saying rings true, you get what you pay for. If you look for the cheapest options available, you will get that kind of production. It gives false hope that you have that position covered even for the short term when in reality its not and then you wind up throwing in a guy who wasn't expected to be ready to start and it just continues being a problem all season long like just like we are seeing this year.

You need multiple starters in FA this year on the defense or we will have another year of horrendous defensive play. We need to hit in the draft as well but a couple of proven FA vets need to be on this team next year if we want to see improvement.

Yes you can plug holes with bottom Barrell guys. Especially this next year with a low cap and little room. I'm not suggesting we will win it's just what he has done the last few years. He will look for guys he can get cheap. Some might work out others will fall flat. The problem is the coaches take too long to move on when their only competition is mid to low round draft picks. I have zero faith we will be in contention to even make the playoffs due to coaching or player talent. We will need the other 3 teams to tank in order for us to do much over the next few years. We will see more talent leave and while we tend to draft ok it'll take the young guys a couple years to come on strong.

EJK24

Reaction score
Yes you can plug holes with bottom Barrell guys. Especially this next year with a low cap and little room. I'm not suggesting we will win it's just what he has done the last few years. He will look for guys he can get cheap. Some might work out others will fall flat. The problem is the coaches take too long to move on when their only competition is mid to low round draft picks. I have zero faith we will be in contention to even make the playoffs due to coaching or player talent. We will need the other 3 teams to tank in order for us to do much over the next few years. We will see more talent leave and while we tend to draft ok it'll take the young guys a couple years to come on strong.

I think we both agree when I read this post. Of course you can fill these holes with bottom of the barrel guys and with the cap situation not being great, maybe we don't have any other choice, but we will still struggle and our defense will still stink for sure.

My reply was more along the lines of improving and getting things going in the right direction was going to take alot more then good draft position because we need to fill alot of holes and a few free agents would sure make that alot easier.

If we are going to approach the next off season that we can't spend on any real talent in FA and we are counting on bottom of the barrel guys and a few rookies to turn this thing around, then as you stated, there shouldn't be alot of confidence that we are going to be a much better team any time soon.

Looks like it's going to be a while before we can field a good roster, especially on defense.

EJK24

Reaction score
They just don't have the money this off-season to go out and find quality fa starters. Keep in mind cap is expected to decrease and Dak could be playing on another franchise tag.

You're right in the sense that the cap is obviously the challenge, my point was more along the lines of, if you want to get this defense going in the right direction than a couple of bottom of the barrel free agents and the draft won't be enough. Obviously the draft can/will help now and for the future but we veteran proven players needed to be added as well. If not, as you said because of the cap situation, I think this defense is going to be awful again next year.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Woods wasn't happy. Got delusional thinking he could renegotiate his contract as an ERFA. Too much Jerry signing bad deals. Meanwhile, he was lucky, and so were we, that we didn't cut him. It was in the cards on numbers before McCoy went down.

Woods has been pretty meh this year, but he's been our best DT. He's RFA next year and will be tendered cheap or we get a pick. Either way, I think we'll take that result. But we aren't cutting him for nothing in return unless it's on final cuts. Probably trade him for a conditional pick. He's meh, but not a bum.

I figure as a RFA he'll be back for one more year, especially since we don't have anyone to replace him with right now. We tried to make him a backup this year and it failed. Next year, hopefully we'll get it right. He's a good rotation piece being forced to start.

quickccc

Reaction score
Many people were high on South Carolina's DT Kinlaw. SF picked him with pick #14. In 10 games he has 1.5 sacks (all in the last game against NO), 1 tackle for loss, 10 solo tackles and 12 tackle assists.

Panthers took Derrick Brown at #7 and in 10 games he has 0 sacks, 15 solo tackles and 5 tackles for loss.

Neither of the top two DTs in this year's draft, Brown and Kinlaw, are doing jack squat.

Ironically Bills DT Ed Oliver has just one sack this year in 2020 ,..vs 5 sacks his rookie year.
Wonder what's gonna on with Oliver in a lesser year.
Oliver was a player the Cowboys reportedly coveted very much at draft time.

Flamma

Reaction score
Defensive Keepers for 2021 IMO in particular order of importance:
Lawrence, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Gallimore, Hill, LVE, Jaylon S, Diggs, A. Brown, D. Wilson...maybe R. Robinson.
I would let Sean Lee and Crawford go. I think Aldon Smith will be too expensive to keep for his age. Let Lewis, X Woods, Thompson, A. Woods go.
Needs: DTs, S, CBs, LBs...pretty much every position on D. Get plenty of D help in draft and be active in FA.

Couldn't agree more. That is exactly what I think is going to happen with the exception of Aldon Smith. I'm just hoping Dallas resigns him, but you might be right. He's not the greatest, but he's a lot better than the bums Dallas brought in from FA. And this is just his first year back on a poorly coached defense. I have to retain some optimism, right?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think we both agree when I read this post. Of course you can fill these holes with bottom of the barrel guys and with the cap situation not being great, maybe we don't have any other choice, but we will still struggle and our defense will still stink for sure.

My reply was more along the lines of improving and getting things going in the right direction was going to take alot more then good draft position because we need to fill alot of holes and a few free agents would sure make that alot easier.

If we are going to approach the next off season that we can't spend on any real talent in FA and we are counting on bottom of the barrel guys and a few rookies to turn this thing around, then as you stated, there shouldn't be alot of confidence that we are going to be a much better team any time soon.

Looks like it's going to be a while before we can field a good roster, especially on defense.

Oh our defense will still suck. I don't think stephen know how to build a team.

quickccc

Reaction score
DE-Lawrence, Aldon*, Gregory, Armstrong, Anae, Crawford*, Carter

Aldon Smith is a player the team has already stated they would like to resign. Crawford's contract finally off the books and he will most likely not return in any capacity.

DT-Hill, Gallimore, Woods*

Woods didn't sign his contract until very late, which suggests he a) wasn't happy with the restricted amount or b) his role as being more of a backup with the Poe signing. c) both. I don't believe he returns next season. Front Office probably needs to double dip in this area of need, sign at least 1 veteran starter through fa and draft 1-2 more.

LB-Lve, Jaylon, Lee*, Thomas*

Can Lve be dependable to stay healthy? Does Jaylon need to be replaced now? Is Lee career about over? Major question marks throughout this group. Need to sign a veteran capable of starting if called upon. Need a future starter in the draft, along with depth at the position.

CB-Diggs, Brown, Awuzie*, Lewis*, Canady

With the expected departures of Awuzie/Lewis, there is a need for a future starter and depth at the position.

S-Woods*, Wilson, Thompson, Robinson

Woods hasn't done enough to warrant an extension. Wilson looks like a starter for this team next yr. Thompson is most likely going to be released. We have no idea where Robinson is in his development. Fa starter, future starter is needed.

As we see wholesale changes are needed on every level. What is a realistic expectation of defensive turnover for next season?

-2 stop-gap fa starters, probably at DT & S
-1 to 2 plug and play impact starters (if picking in top 10)
-1 to 2 future starters

I believe it is realistic to expect 4 new defensive starters on opening night next season with the possibility of more late in the season. Of coarse, they need to hit on whom ever they either sign or draft.

G

Players I expect Not to Return:
Xavier Woods
Antwuan Woods
Chido Awuzie
Jordan Lewis
Luke Gifford
Tyrone Crawford (or a damn 1 year deal ?)

- Defensively i don't expect Awuzie, Lewis or either Woods Xavier nor Antwuann back next year.
All these guys are just average players -they are not difference makers.
i could only see a return unless its' dirt bargain cheap backup roles again and absolutely no other NFL team takers at all.

- Aldon Smith is gonna be a bidding war (even at his age) - stay tuned as i think Stephen has a certain price on vet players that wasn't drafted here.
(ala Martin, Dlaw, LVE)
if team doesn't re-sign Aldon, they'll clearly invest in Gregory as a full time starter in '21 to bookend with Dlaw,

- i think Jaylon is going to return but the big key is will this team draft a grooming stud to replace him per early rounds ? With the likes of
Crawford the jones don't have a problem keeping high priced rah rah players as charity case backups for another year.
If we dont draft a new LB, expect another very average LB years to come per Jaylon