How much did the 5 team division help us in the 80s and 90s

Flamma

Reaction score
I was thinking about how the Patriots have won their division every year since like 2009, and I was wondering how much did our division help us in the 90s?

How much did getting to play Arizona twice a year help us historically?

The divisional opponent the Cowboys have beaten at the highest percentage in franchise history? The Cardinals and it isn't even close.

We beat them every time from December 1990 until September 1997.

Couple of things here. Since 2001 the Patriots didn't win the division twice. Both times they lost tie breakers and one year Brady only played 1 week. Since Brady has been the quarterback the Patriots have never had a worse record than any of their division opponents.

We really can't compare the current AFC east to the 90s NFC east just because of the Cards. That Eagles team alone had a crazy good D. They probably would have went to 4 super bowls in a row if they were in the AFC. The Commanders and Giants were fresh off of winning Super Bowls. Those teams were not the jokes that are the Jets/Bills/Dolphins.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Cardinals got their revenge on us when it counted the most with jake Plummer. Such a dark day. That was my first ever cowboys playoff game as a young fan. It was a sign of things to come

DandyDon52

Reaction score
There is almost always going to be at least one bad team in every division every year. The problem with the Patriots is that they usually have 3, and when they don't, they at least have 2.
yeah well one of those "bad" teams already beat dallas, lol.
The opposite is true too, being in the same div as the pats, hurts those other 3 teams.
The difference between 11-5 and 9-7 could be 2 losses to the Pats.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
I was thinking about how the Patriots have won their division every year since like 2009, and I was wondering how much did our division help us in the 90s?

The divisional opponent the Cowboys have beaten at the highest percentage in franchise history? The Cardinals and it isn't even close.

Here is a place to start researching.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/teams.nsf

T-RO

Reaction score
Aikman was 50-33 against NFC East opponents. He was 44-38 against the rest of the nfl.

You thought you had a slam dunk fact, but that's completely skewed by the latter Aikman years when everything went to hell. Your theory fails badly. The NFC East was not anything like the division the Patriots have feasted on.

When Dallas was forging Super Bowls from Mount Doom iron...they did it against tough NFC East sledding. Skins had been Super Bowl champs. Eagles had historically great defense. Giants were consistently tough.

Insert Coin. Try again.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
The Cowboys did not benefit from being in the NFC East. Giants SB champs 1990. Commanders SB Champs 1991. Cowboys SB Champs 1992, 1993, 1995. The Eagles were no joke. They had a killer defense and the offense could put points on the board. IMO the Cowboys winning 3 SBs out of that division is part of what made those teams so special. Add in the epic battles with the 49ers and big games against the Packers and you can begin to understand just how good they were and why so many consider them the best of all time.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You thought you had a slam dunk fact, but that's completely skewed by the latter Aikman years when everything went to hell. Your theory fails badly. The NFC East was not anything like the division the Patriots have feasted on.

When Dallas was forging Super Bowls from Mount Doom iron...they did it against tough NFC East sledding. Skins had been Super Bowl champs. Eagles had historically great defense. Giants were consistently tough.

Insert Coin. Try again.

What theory do you think I've put forward here? When did I say the NFC East was weak? I asked whether or not having the Cardinals in the division helped them or not.

Reading is FUNdamental.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We would have won 6 Superbowls with Zeke back then!! Lol

KB1122

Reaction score
Not nearly as much as LA, Atlanta, and New Orleans helped San Francisco.

KB1122

Reaction score
You know, the Cardinals weren't that bad in the 80s. 3 winning seasons, 3 7-win seasons. Roy Green is forgotten, but a heck of a player. He used to torch the Cowboys.

Johnny23

Reaction score
You know, the Cardinals weren't that bad in the 80s. 3 winning seasons, 3 7-win seasons. Roy Green is forgotten, but a heck of a player. He used to torch the Cowboys.
They also had OJ Anderson... MVP of Super bowl 25. Neil Lomax was their QB.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score

The NYG and Commanders won multiple titles in the 80s and 90s, and the Eagles had a good team several years. Playing in the NFCE was no advantage.