How much is too much to pay Dak?

KingRah

Reaction score
I want unbiased opinions. Consider what would happened to the franchise if he's overpaid.
I think 20 million a year is the limit. I don't want what happened to the saints to happen to us. They lost for years after giving Brees 25 million because they couldn't keep their line together. They also had to get rid of J Graham in his prime. Brees knew what paying him meant and still wanted 25 million. How committed was he to winning? I could somewhat except it with Brees because he's a top 13 all-time qb.

DAk has to give us a discount. If he doesn't, our team will be gutted and he'll struggle for 4-6 years and would probably be gone at the end of his deal. Look at Flacco. He won a chip, lost his deep threat and number one receiver and will be gone next year. Is dak smart enough to realize he needs a good team to look solid?

endersdragon

Reaction score
I don't want to pay him over $10,000,000. If he starts to demand more than that I say we let him leave. I know marginal QBs are worth big bucks in today's NFL because even marginal QBs are so hard to come by, but playoff teams almost universally have either elite QBs or QBs on their rookie contract... I don't think Dak will ever be the former, so either he stays lower paid (still huge money for what he is) or we go with the latter.

KingRah

Reaction score
I don't want to pay him over $10,000,000. If he starts to demand more than that I say we let him leave. I know marginal QBs are worth big bucks in today's NFL because even marginal QBs are so hard to come by, but playoff teams almost universally have either elite QBs or QBs on their rookie contract... I don't think Dak will ever be the former, so either he stays lower paid (still huge money for what he is) or we go with the latter.
Personally, my dream is 10 million, but they couldn't get away with it. I'm thinking 19 million. You can argue, he's still developing and in 4 mores if he takes another step, he can get over 20 million, Look at Rodgers, Romo and those guys. Romos first extension was 9 million a year.he Got better and got more. They also have to argue, he won't win without a dominant defense, o-line and Zeke. They also had to trade for Cooper. I would actually sign DAk after this year. If he passes for 28 tds and 4000 yards next year, they'll be stuck, so will the franchise. Sign him early on a discount. acquire a potential starter to challenge him if he walks. They can prove they don't need him. Bridgewater isn't a franchise guys. he's in the Alex smith class. He could do what Dak does in this offense. You have to think long term.

endersdragon

Reaction score
Personally, my dream is 10 million, but they couldn't get away with it. I'm thinking 19 million. You can argue, he's still developing and in 4 mores if he takes another step, he can get over 20 million, Look at Rodgers, Romo and those guys. Romos first extension was 9 million a year.he Got better and got more. They also have to argue, he won't win without a dominant defense, o-line and Zeke. They also had to trade for Cooper. I would actually sign DAk after this year. If he passes for 28 tds and 4000 yards next year, they'll be stuck, so will the franchise. Sign him early on a discount. acquire a potential starter to challenge him if he walks. They can prove they don't need him. Bridgewater isn't a franchise guys. he's in the Alex smith class. He could do what Dak does in this offense. You have to think long term.
We pay him $19,000,000 we will go the route of the Jags. Anything over $15,000,000 is way too much.

KingRah

Reaction score
We pay him $19,000,000 we will go the route of the Jags. Anything over $15,000,000 is way too much.
If he's a team player, he'll do it. he would be like Brady. Brady won 2 more superbowls because of discounts. If he demanded(and he could've got 35 million 3 years ago) The team wouldn't make it to the arc championship the last few years and the losing would've caused us to think he's too old.

Reaction score
Jerry needs to push the endorsements angle. You will get far more in endorsements being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys than you will going somewhere else. DeMarco Murray was offered 5 million to stay and took 7 million from the Eagles. He could have easily made that money back in endorsements by staying with the Cowboys as the incumbent rushing leader. I would give him a 5 year deal with all the guarantees in the first 3 and I would guarantee him close to 50 million.

KingRah

Reaction score
Jerry needs to push the endorsements angle. You will get far more in endorsements being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys than you will going somewhere else. DeMarco Murray was offered 5 million to stay and took 7 million from the Eagles. He could have easily made that money back in endorsements by staying with the Cowboys as the incumbent rushing leader. I would give him a 5 year deal with all the guarantees in the first 3 and I would guarantee him close to 50 million.
I’d give 18 or 19 million per and guarantee the whole deal. It’d be a three year deal. If he really is a franchise guy, he’ll win with that. The winning will earn him a bigger deal.

HanD

Reaction score
I'd do 20 but small signing bonus. Roster bonuses each year so we can cut him without huge reprocussions.

KingRah

Reaction score
I don't disagree .But without a high pick for me it is a compromise with little future commitment and giving him time to develop .
They can franchise him in 2020 and draft a qb

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Anything more than $20mn a season that isn't straight performance-laden money is too much.

JAG stop-gap QBs are getting $20mn a season, we aren't keeping Dak for less sadly.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I'm afraid Jerry's going to pay him 25 million a year.

His agent is no joke and all it takes is one team with that offer, Jerry will definitely match.

KingRah

Reaction score
Well we can replace him for less and get the same performance or better. Bridgewater can do at last the same thing with this line and Zeke.

KingRah

Reaction score
Anything more than $20mn a season that isn't straight performance-laden money is too much.

JAG stop-gap QBs are getting $20mn a season, we aren't keeping Dak for less sadly.
My DArkhorse replacement is J Brissett. He has a bigger arm than Sak too.