How much of a leader is Wade Phillips really?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On Mike & Mike In The Morning today, Golic, Greenberg or Mark Schlereth were discussing the pitiful situation in Oakland and how Al Davis’ personal revolving door policy with players has helped contribute to much of the disarray there. One of them (I forgot which one) recalled an observation which Marty Schottenheimer had previously made about a head coach’s control over his team being diminished whenever they skipped over him and addressed their grievances directly with the front office. If something similar is occurring in Dallas, I wonder how much of it is happening here and what degree has it affected Wade Phillips’ leadership of the team this season?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Greg Ellis already went to Jerry earlier in the season when he thought he wasn't being rushed enough, right?

And of course it would undermine any head coach, not just Wade.

Jerry just needs to refuse to listen to any player complaints... But I doubt that ever happens.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Greg Ellis' whining make him a good example? He complains whenever the wind changes direction.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
DallasEast;2405393 said:
Does Greg Ellis' whining make him a good example? He complains whenever the wind changes direction.

He does, but whining in the media is one thing. Going over the head of the head coach to the owner is another.

It's really Jerry's fault that he even listens to these guys.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
DallasEast;2405376 said:
On Mike & Mike In The Morning today, Golic, Greenberg or Mark Schlereth were discussing the pitiful situation in Oakland and how Al Davis’ personal revolving door policy with players has helped contribute to much of the disarray there. One of them (I forgot which one) recalled an observation which Marty Schottenheimer had previously made about a head coach’s control over his team being diminished whenever they skipped over him and addressed their grievances directly with the front office. If something similar is occurring in Dallas, I wonder how much of it is happening here and what degree has it affected Wade Phillips’ leadership of the team this season?

I stopped reading right there, those guys are annoying as hell.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;2405399 said:
He does, but whining in the media is one thing. Going over the head of the head coach to the owner is another.

It's really Jerry's fault that he even listens to these guys.
That's true about Ellis. Jones has always been a 'people-person' and loves his players. In a way that's a strength because it develops a loyalty with his players which motivates them to play for him, but it can also be a weakness since they should be playing hard for their head coach.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Not 100% sure but didn't Deion show up late all the time with JJs permission?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CowboyFan74;2405405 said:
I stopped reading right there, those guys are annoying as hell.
Well, you won't get an argument from me about that, but does that make their discussion point any less valid?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dave_in-NC;2405413 said:
I thought that some of the absenteeism had to do with Sanders playing baseball..?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
When a team is losing like ours.....it is easy to find all the faults.

Bet last year when we were 13-3, we could of done things better.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dave_in-NC;2405413 said:

Yep, Deion was one of the first to really take advantage of Jerry and the head coach this way.

That's why you can't kowtow to stars. It sets a very bad precedent.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Amazing how a story posted as a rumor now grows legs and becomes a fact.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Arch Stanton;2405454 said:
Amazing how a story posted as a rumor now grows legs and becomes a fact.
Whoever mentioned the Schottenheimer comment didn't refer to it as a rumor. Is it?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
If everyone against Washington comes out w/ their pants pulled up around their chest, then I would say he has been a great leader.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2405387 said:
Greg Ellis already went to Jerry earlier in the season when he thought he wasn't being rushed enough, right?

And of course it would undermine any head coach, not just Wade.

Jerry just needs to refuse to listen to any player complaints... But I doubt that ever happens.

I respectfully differ choco. But if Wade does not give Ellis direction or assert himself with Ellis basically to play and shut up, then how can you prevent Ellis from going to the GM. The GM is entitled to listen to the player but do we really know what Jerry told Ellis after all the same player can go to the GM on assortment of issues - such as 2 years ago when he wanted to bump up his contract "to cover insurance."

For all we know Jerry told Ellis or others even to go resolve the issue with Wade. Bottom line, Ellis' role is diminishing, it appears Jones didn't interfere or intercede.

Speculative Report: Jerry told Wade how to run his defense.
Actual Report: According to Wade he and Jerry discussed the defensive issues and Wade stated he was taking steps to correct it by calling more of the plays, simplifying the defense and possibly making position adjustments.

Speculative Report: Jerry interfered with Wade by designating Johnson to be the regular season backup. Actual Report(s): Wade and Garrett decided on Brad because he played well in preseason.

Speculative Report: Jerry insisted on Brad Johnson to start the Giants game. Actual Report(s): This was discussed with the coaches and Jerry and Wade, Garrett indicated they would start Brad and then go from there. That seems further corroborated by Brooks Bollinger getting some snaps but not all the snaps.

Speculative Report: Jerry insisted on starting Bollinger, Jerry insisted on starting Bollinger in the 2nd quarter. Jerry insisted on starting Bollinger in the second half. Actual Report(s): See above.

Speculative Report: Jerry is inviting Jeff George in to coming to Dallas for a tryout. Actual Report(s): Jeff George is trying to get a tryout with Dallas. Choco even you thought that was ridiculous.

My point is this. Inflammatory or speculative reports will come out continuously on Jerry considering it is the Dallas Cowboys and he is the GM as well as the owner. I could debunk a good number of speculative reports from 2007, but I don't need to waste my time with that.

But what bothers and really disappoints me is that some knowledgeable long term posters are so eager to negatively conclude on whatever Jerry does without waiting for the other reports to float in to dispel the negative sensationalism. And it doesn't just happen with Jerry, it happens with the coaches, high profile players etc.. Yet some are just so willing to drink that lemonade because they want an excuse to be soured by Jones so they can tee off.

Coach Avezzano who has Cowboys special teams coaching history with Jones recently stated that Jerry goes with the coaching input involving playing issues or playing time of whatever personnel.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Wade is the perfect leader. ...well that is if he is leading everyone to the picnic basket.

willow-picnic-basket-151.jpg

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
DallasEast;2405376 said:

I don't think he's a leader or has any leadership or any control of the team.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DallasEast;2405376 said:
How much of a leader is Wade Phillips really?

On a scale from 1 to 10, he's about 300 points short of a ZERO.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
DallasEast;2405414 said:
Well, you won't get an argument from me about that, but does that make their discussion point any less valid?

Can I get the cliff notes?