How Much of a Role Does Amari Cooper Play In FO Approach To 2019

817Gill

Reaction score
This is the first time in a few years the team has had the ability to maneuver around the cap.
How much do we think Coop has to do with the way the FO is handling this offseason?

It’s reasonable to think that with Amari here the full season, the team would have had around 12 wins. The team was a poor run defense scheme (Richard was interviewing for HC jobs while Rod was in charge of scheming that week which is kinda messed up on Richards part) away from an NFCCG with a team it had beat before.

Would it be illogical for the FO to think with a full season of Amari and T-Fred, all we need to add/re-ad is O-line depth (done), d-line beef/depth, and more consistent box safety play; things that can be filled during mid-tier FA and the draft?

Last years team with a beefier D-line and better safety play could have very well been a SB participant. Is it wrong for Jerry and co to see things that way?

Opinions please

P.S.- “the we will never win with Garrett” thing is valid, but bringing that into this thread is kind of irrelevant, as we are focused on personnel.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the first time in a few years the team has had the ability to maneuver around the cap.
How much do we think Coop has to do with the way the FO is handling this offseason?

It’s reasonable to think that with Amari here the full season, the team would have had around 12 wins. The team was a poor run defense scheme (Richard was interviewing for HC jobs while Rod was in charge of scheming that week which is kinda messed up on Richards part) away from an NFCCG with a team it had beat before.

Would it be illogical for the FO to think with a full season of Amari and T-Fred, all we need to add/re-ad is O-line depth (done), d-line beef/depth, and more consistent box safety play; things that can be filled during mid-tier FA and the draft?

Last years team with a beefier D-line and better safety play could have very well been a SB participant. Is it wrong for Jerry and co to see things that way?

Opinions please

P.S.- “the we will never win with Garrett” thing is valid, but bringing that into this thread is kind of irrelevant, as we are focused on personnel.

Richard was responsible for coverage and basically responsible for the back 7.

The coverage was good considering the Rams had been a great passing offense during the season.

It was Marinelli's stunting DL scheme that got out-schemed.

tm1119

Reaction score
To say this you’d have to come to several conclusions:

1. That Looney was an issue on the o-line. Which He wasn’t. Of course Fred is an upgrade, but was that the difference in beating the Rams? Extremely unlikely.

2. That Amari Cooper was not up to speed on the offense after 8-10 weeks on the roster. Given our offense and simplistic route tree I’d say that’s unlikely. More time with Dak could play a small factor in improvement I suppose...

3. That this coming season will be exactly like last season. Which of course, isn’t remotely true.

I don’t care if it’s a team coming off a super bowl win, not trying to improve the roster is just crazy and misguided.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Richard was responsible for coverage and basically responsible for the back 7.

The coverage was good considering the Rams had been a great passing offense during the season.

It was Marinelli's stunting DL scheme that got out-schemed.

Marinelli said during TC that he gave more responsibility to Richards. He was helping Marinelli put the game plan together.

But in sept Marinelli said himself Richards was calling the def plays.
https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/20...nelli-matt-eberflus-passing-game-coordinator/
"Marinelli confirmed suspicions Thursday when he revealed Richard is indeed behind the play calling."

817Gill

Reaction score
To say this you’d have to come to several conclusions:

1. That Looney was an issue on the o-line. Which He wasn’t. Of course Fred is an upgrade, but was that the difference in beating the Rams? Extremely unlikely.

2. That Amari Cooper was not up to speed on the offense after 8-10 weeks on the roster. Given our offense and simplistic route tree I’d say that’s unlikely. More time with Dak could play a small factor in improvement I suppose...

3. That this coming season will be exactly like last season. Which of course, isn’t remotely true.

I don’t care if it’s a team coming off a super bowl win, not trying to improve the roster is just crazy and misguided.
Zeke has 51 yards rushing I would say interior online play had something to do with that. See 4&1 stuff.

Point 2 makes no sense, it’s not about him being up to speed it’s about him being there. The second half of the season isn’t what I mean by Amari for a whole season. I mean 16 games of him would logically allow someone to assume 3-5 woulda looked a bit different.

Point 3 is a great point, as every season is different, but I don’t think it’s unfathomable to think a divisional round team without an offense for 8 games doesn’t need big splash moves to improve.