How short is Garrett's leash?

sjmike

Reaction score
I was watching film of Kris Richard interacting with the secondary and I couldn't help thinking that this is the type of personality that I want coaching my team. He is more Bill Cowher than Jason Garrett and that is a great thing. With that in mind, how bad does the Cowboy start have to be to replace Garrett with Richard by midseason? Would an 0-3 or 1-4 start do it? That would definitely make the rest of the season more fun and interesting to watch. And I am only assuming that Richard would be the next man up but I think that he was brought here for that reason. What say you?

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
To say I've been very disappointed in Jason Garrett is an understatement. And while I like the addition of coach Richard I prefer staff and team get off to a good start. I just can't see dreaming up scenarios of team failure before training camp in hopes of a coaching change. Go Cowboys!:star:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
oh my gosh. another fire Garrett post.. where's the forum police to squash this upheaval. where's old happy... this is so negative...somebody wake him up.

Last edited:

Pants

Reaction score
obviously, there has been no leash...Dallas is #1 in $$$ so why change a thing? better to ask when will Jerry stop being involved with the cowboys at all

note: I would NEVER want Dallas to tank to get rid of Garrett...I will cheer Garrett if he gets the team into the playoffs with a shot at the SB (I still won't care for him as a coach, but I will give credit where it is due)

Jipper

Reaction score
Don't think the secondary coach would leap a spot and go right to hc....and Garrett isn't on a leash

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was watching film of Kris Richard interacting with the secondary and I couldn't help thinking that this is the type of personality that I want coaching my team. He is more Bill Cowher than Jason Garrett and that is a great thing. With that in mind, how bad does the Cowboy start have to be to replace Garrett with Richard by midseason? Would an 0-3 or 1-4 start do it? That would definitely make the rest of the season more fun and interesting to watch. And I am only assuming that Richard would be the next man up but I think that he was brought here for that reason. What say you?

I dont think he has a leash.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Garrett goes below .500 he will be Fired!

TwentyOne

Reaction score

I dont think garrett gets fired regardless the outcome of the season.

Alot if work a HC does is behind closed curtains.

• How he handles the team in general.
  • Is he able to sense the mood the team is in and is he able to influence it in a positive way.
  • Can he handle certain players so they wont be a distraction.
  • Can he handle a defeat so the team doesnt lose confidence or motivation.
  • Can he handle the loss of certain players.
  • Can he handle the influence of the media.
  • Can he handle the demands surrounding the team: owner, other coaches, fans, even own players.
I think garrett always shows the backbone to handle thise things.

For example the season could have gone easily south after the 3 devastating losses last year. But somehow we managed to overcome those and found ways to get back into things. That is by what you meassure a HC just because this is a big part of his job.

But then we all dont know how and what kind of ways he used to turn the sinking ship around. Only people who are able to follow all the meetings with him are able to judge his soft skills. And they will judge them.

By now just when i follow garretts career he always showed backbone when there were hard times. From the beginning when he took over from Philip he proved this. He managed to give new life to a team that could have easiliy let the season go away.

I dont think garrett will lose his job even if we have a 4-12 season. If he isnt wont be able to find the problems and solve them after that kind of season then he would have a hard time to keep his job for another year like that. But if he is able to manage those i dont see him losing his job.

Last edited:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett's leash isn't that short. He almost certainly will not be fired mid-season.

And Richard is the heir apparent at D.C., not HC.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Garrett's leash isn't that short. He almost certainly will not be fired mid-season.

I do think so too.

The way Marinelli is promoting him i think the plan is him to be the DC in the near future.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

I don’t know. Another collapse like we had mid season last year might do it. Lots of blowouts might force Jerry’s hand.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
Garrett’s leash is so long we better hope he runs out into the street and gets run over when Jerry takes him out for a walk.

60z2eeH.gif

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't think his leash has gotten any shorter during the other 10 or so threads about it since the draft, but hope springs eternal. ;)

ghst187

Reaction score
obviously, there has been no leash...Dallas is #1 in $$$ so why change a thing? better to ask when will Jerry stop being involved with the cowboys at all

note: I would NEVER want Dallas to tank to get rid of Garrett...I will cheer Garrett if he gets the team into the playoffs with a shot at the SB (I still won't care for him as a coach, but I will give credit where it is due)

I agree with this. However, I will say I think if we come out and just fail miserably and are out of the playoff picture early without any major excuses for JG to hide behind, I would think the FO would pull the plug. Expectations are high. That said, I expect JG to do just enough to keep his job like always. I would love to see him win us a SB but at this point, he is what he is.....a crummy coach who needs a surrounded by immense talent and staff to carry him.