How the Rams got 270 yards

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was listening to some radio show on the way home tonight and , apparently, there is a darn good reason the Rams ran the ball so effectively and seemed to have the perfect blocking scheme every snap.

The smart coach (not Garret) picked up on something studying film. Apparently, our DTs have "tells" that give away what they are about to do. I wish I was kidding.

“They have good players, but ... we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” Rams center John Sullivan said.

What were the Cowboys linemen doing? Sullivan and right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer that depending on how defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods were set up before a snap, the Rams knew if a stunt was coming. For instance, if “Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming,” Danny Heifetz wrote.

“If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.”

“If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side,” said Blythe, who figured the Rams had a tell on more than 90 percent of the snaps in their 30-22 win Saturday night.

We gave away 90% of the snaps!!!!!

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
I was listening to some radio show on the way home tonight and , apparently, there is a darn good reason the Rams ran the ball so effectively and seemed to have the perfect blocking scheme every snap.

The smart coach (not Garret) picked up on something studying film. Apparently, our DTs have "tells" that give away what they are about to do. I wish I was kidding.

“They have good players, but ... we had a lot of tips and tells on what they were going to do in front of us,” Rams center John Sullivan said.

What were the Cowboys linemen doing? Sullivan and right guard Austin Blythe told The Ringer that depending on how defensive tackles Maliek Collins and Antwaun Woods were set up before a snap, the Rams knew if a stunt was coming. For instance, if “Collins was shaded closer to the tackle instead of the guard, the Rams figured a stunt may be coming,” Danny Heifetz wrote.

“If the Rams saw Collins lined up slightly wider than usual, they looked for a second tell. If a certain Cowboys lineman had a specific hand on the ground—right or left—or if a player was tilted one way or the other, it confirmed what the Cowboys defensive line was going to do.”

“If [the defensive tackle] is going to come in, the tell is going to come in from the other side,” said Blythe, who figured the Rams had a tell on more than 90 percent of the snaps in their 30-22 win Saturday night.
Yea, saw that yesterday. Bad technique, lack of self scouting.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

This cannot be right, coaching doesnt matter.

We need that Garrett extension !

Sydla

Reaction score

CBS also had a story that said McVay used motion and formations to confuse LVE and Smith and get them out of position at the snap.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
We are literally the poker guy who sweats profusely when bluffing.
p2oog6h.gif

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone think Garrett is smart enough to notice things like that?

Me neither.

I expect nothing from Garret. But the DL is Marinelli's bread and butter. How does he not notice that his guys have tells? I can't beleive this is not more of a topic of discussion. It cuts to the core of the teams coaching problems. We just aren't very smart.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Yea, saw that yesterday. Bad technique, lack of self scouting.
This but I'm really starting to think a lot of fans just watch the game and think teams just play freestyle like this is LA fitness or something. Hell the Rams have tells too esp after that Bears game and you can go on YouTube to find them. This isn't new and if they play the Patriots I'm pretty sure to say it won't be the same stuff jumping off like our lack of D gameplan let slide.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I expect nothing from Garret. But the DL is Marinelli's bread and butter. How does he not notice that his guys have tells? I can't beleive this is not more of a topic of discussion. It cuts to the core of the teams coaching problems. We just aren't very smart.
I think you just started understanding football. No offense

DominantD

Reaction score
I'm sure this was a valid consideration on the some of the plays. But even if they knew when we weren't going to stunt, or if they knew this was one on one blocking, we were blown off the ball. It was physical domination man vs. man. Rams looked like the Cowboys O-Line of early 90s when they simply owned the game. Stunts would have disrupted some of this. Blitzes certainly would have helped.

The bottom line to me... We were man vs. man whipped in the trenches. I don't recall seeing #94 anywhere near the QB's zip code... and I like Gregory's play this season a lot. But Saturday, he was man-handled... just like our interior DTs.

Again, I'm not discounting that coaching, alignment, etc. couldn't have changed anything. For me, I was thinking... we will get burned by this, but I would start using multiple blitzes and simply hope I was filling the right gaps for the run and hope I don't get burned deep... because I know my front 4 (or front 6) can't handle these matchups tonight.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sure this was a valid consideration on the some of the plays. But even if they knew when we weren't going to stunt, or if they knew this was one on one blocking, we were blown off the ball. It was physical domination man vs. man. Rams looked like the Cowboys O-Line of early 90s when they simply owned the game. Stunts would have disrupted some of this. Blitzes certainly would have helped.

The bottom line to me... We were man vs. man whipped in the trenches. I don't recall seeing #94 anywhere near the QB's zip code... and I like Gregory's play this season a lot. But Saturday, he was man-handled... just like our interior DTs.

Again, I'm not discounting that coaching, alignment, etc. couldn't have changed anything. For me, I was thinking... we will get burned by this, but I would start using multiple blitzes and simply hope I was filling the right gaps for the run and hope I don't get burned deep... because I know my front 4 (or front 6) can't handle these matchups tonight.

You think a cowboy record 273 rushing yards given up was just the result of losing man vs man battles ? It is a HUGE advantage for the offense to know where the holes are going to be. Don't ya think? Don't take my word for it. Listen to what the rams are saying.

conner01

Reaction score
CBS also had a story that said McVay used motion and formations to confuse LVE and Smith and get them out of position at the snap.
You mean you can use motion?
If you look at Chiefs and rams they use a ton of motion
I love watching the chiefs offense
They run great screens and run screens to 3 players on one snap
We depend on our guys beating their guys
No reason to actually try to fool them