How the Rams got 270 yards

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like this inside baseball stuff!! But in the playoffs it really doesn't matter...they had better players!!

Larry Allen would make a train whistle sound and tell the Dlineman we are coming in your gap...

We just got beat

So, you don't think the offense knowing where the hole will be opening up in the DL pre-snap is a huge advantage? The Rams are a good enough team without having to spot them our DL calls. We just made them look a lot better.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NFL network was giving Goff credit too, by calling various things out, and adjusting, pre snap.
They said he helped the run game greatly

I don't think anyone knew what really happened until the Rams OL did this interview. Rams still get all the credit for figuring out these "tells".

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We now know how the Rams got 270 yards on us.

We had the wrong cleats.

So says Jerry.

I don't even think Jerry knows about the defensive line "tells" that tipped off the Rams. He lives in a bubble where information is controlled.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Source? Your theory that we knew these tells existed and let the rams run for 273 anyway is kinda far fetched.
The Cowboys have said over and over and over and over again that they don't try to trick anybody, just line up and win.

Its referenced more with the offense, but the defense is the same too. It is supposed to be simple.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys have said over and over and over and over again that they don't try to trick anybody, just line up and win.

Its referenced more with the offense, but the defense is the same too. It is supposed to be simple.

Wow. You really miss the point. Their is a huge difference between tricking people and unwittingly tipping your hand. The Rams knew when stunts were coming and from what direction pre-snap. That is far from a normal advantage. They literally knew pre-snap where the holes would be.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wow. You really miss the point. Their is a huge difference between tricking people and unwittingly tipping your hand. The Rams knew when stunts were coming and from what direction pre-snap. That is far from a normal advantage. They literally knew pre-snap where the holes would be.
Everyone does. The difference with the Rams is that they can block lol

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Everyone does. The difference with the Rams is that they can block lol

They doubled their rushing average on us...........a week after we shut down the #1 ranked rushing offense. None of our adjustments had any effect on their ability to run the ball. Don't you think that is rather odd? If that doesn't convince you, just listen to what the rams OL is saying. I'm not making this up. The Rams are the ones talking about it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
They doubled their rushing average on us...........a week after we shut down the #1 ranked rushing offense. None of our adjustments had any effect on their ability to run the ball. Don't you think that is rather odd? If that doesn't convince you, just listen to what the rams OL is saying. I'm not making this up. The Rams are the ones talking about it.
What adjustments? The Cowboys don't make adjustments. They were literally moving Collins around the same way that they have all year - that give has always been there.

The difference is that a) the Rams block and b) the Rams played ahead of the sticks because their run/pass is based on the favorable matchups. The Cowboys couldn't stop the run without having an extra body in and when they did....it was Heath. This is why 11 personnel is so effective to run out of. It gives you a 6-man box or the 7th man is a safety.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What adjustments? The Cowboys don't make adjustments. They were literally moving Collins around the same way that they have all year - that give has always been there.

The difference is that a) the Rams block and b) the Rams played ahead of the sticks because their run/pass is based on the favorable matchups. The Cowboys couldn't stop the run without having an extra body in and when they did....it was Heath. This is why 11 personnel is so effective to run out of. It gives you a 6-man box or the 7th man is a safety.

You are basically arguing against the Rams OL and their comments on the matter. If you take your own opinion over the guys who actually played the game, I find that bizarre.

We absolutely made adjustments. It didn't matter. When the offense knows when the stunts are coming and where they are coming from..........it makes running the ball a lot easier. Pretty obvious stuff.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You are basically arguing against the Rams OL and their comments on the matter. If you take your own opinion over the guys who actually played the game, I find that bizarre.

We absolutely made adjustments. It didn't matter. When the offense knows when the stunts are coming and where they are coming from..........it makes running the ball a lot easier. Pretty obvious stuff.
I'm not arguing against the Rams, I'm saying that I 100% believe them because this defense never tries to surprise anybody.

We have different definitions of adjustments. You're calling playcalls adjustments. Yes they have different playcalls and alignments, but those aren't adjustments. The Rams knew all of those entering the game, because the cowboys have been running the same ones for 16 weeks.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Probably late to this thread, but wanted to make a statement that was interesting. While I've said that the Rams overpowered, that is very true, but I also want to add something about the innovation -

most of the principles run by McVay have origins in the Delaware Wing-T, where Jet Sweeps (from the wing-back) are common place, and despite being considered a running attack, was always dangerous because of it's thread to run the ball.

As opposed to pulling guards, the Rams would line up in a bunch formation and rather than having a full back, the TE (or in this case, the other wing back) would come across the formation and block the edge, allowing the tackle and guard to get to the second level.

The innovation is absolutely adapting the offense to the pro-level, but the Delaware wing-system has been around for decades. Pretty amazing to see it being run again these days.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Probably late to this thread, but wanted to make a statement that was interesting. While I've said that the Rams overpowered, that is very true, but I also want to add something about the innovation -

most of the principles run by McVay have origins in the Delaware Wing-T, where Jet Sweeps (from the wing-back) are common place, and despite being considered a running attack, was always dangerous because of it's thread to run the ball.

As opposed to pulling guards, the Rams would line up in a bunch formation and rather than having a full back, the TE (or in this case, the other wing back) would come across the formation and block the edge, allowing the tackle and guard to get to the second level.

The innovation is absolutely adapting the offense to the pro-level, but the Delaware wing-system has been around for decades. Pretty amazing to see it being run again these days.

I had no idea Deleware and football were in any way related.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I had no idea Deleware and football were in any way related.
lol

Delaware wing-t is just a modification of the t formation that is as old as football itself. Used pretty extensively in a lot of high school programs, but the entire concept is predicated on misdirection and at least the THREAT of a pass if you aren't playing disciplined.

Roland

Reaction score
Well, this certainly explains how they blew us up so bad. I just could not understand how we were being so dominated. If we could of only realized that they had figured something out on us, even at half time. Make some kind of adjustment (line up straight up, anything). I blame our coaching here for not realizing that something was amiss. you can't really blame this on the players so much, IMO. A change at halftime could have saved this game. The questions is, do you blame the HC or the DC for this, or both!

Philmonroe

Reaction score
You're easIly impressed because you don't get the playcalling side of football. Most fans dont and I'm no Madden either but I know that everybody tips things it's just who can take advantage of it. Heck the Rams do too it's just our gameplan was trash and didn't go after their tells. Don't believe me look up akoye how to stop Rams on YouTube that shows you how the Boys should've played D against the Rams.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Well, this certainly explains how they blew us up so bad. I just could not understand how we were being so dominated. If we could of only realized that they had figured something out on us, even at half time. Make some kind of adjustment (line up straight up, anything). I blame our coaching here for not realizing that something was amiss. you can't really blame this on the players so much, IMO. A change at halftime could have saved this game. The questions is, do you blame the HC or the DC for this, or both!
Goto 15 minutes in if you want to know how Dallas could've attacked it differently.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol

Delaware wing-t is just a modification of the t formation that is as old as football itself. Used pretty extensively in a lot of high school programs, but the entire concept is predicated on misdirection and at least the THREAT of a pass if you aren't playing disciplined.

Its actually really interesting and i'm not knocking Mcvay's creativity or ability as a coach. I wish we had him. However, when he hacked our DL to the point where the Rams knew where everyone on the DL was going on 90% of the snaps (according to the Rams offensive lineman) , that makes running the ball a whole lot easier and no real trickery required.