How to win in this league

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Is it really so hard to understand it all starts in the middle. Your Center, your defensive tackle, middle linebacker, strong safety, oh yeah quarterback LOL obviously this franchise doesn't understand the importance of a defensive tackle. You can't get pressure up the middle you can't win in this league.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
Another way to win is for ownership to replace a GM who hasn’t built a team that’s gotten past the divisional-round of the postseason in 23 consecutive seasons.
Looks like his cheap son is even worse

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Then why do the all guys in the middle besides Aaron Donald get paid far less than the guys on the end?

1. DT is not as important as the ends. Even though it helps move the qb.
2. The type of player that can hold their ground and rush the qb from the middle is rare and hard to find.
3. Although the role of dt is important, in their view it is not as important as spending resources at other positions.

I don't know if any of those are true, but they are my guesses as to why the cowboys don't invest more in dt. Rod doesn't value them as highly, and yet the defense improves every year

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Another way to win is for ownership to replace a GM who hasn’t built a team that’s gotten past the divisional-round of the postseason in 23 consecutive seasons.
Will McClay the GM without the title. They just give Jerry his Johnnie Walker Blue and send them off to his trailer

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Then why do the all guys in the middle besides Aaron Donald get paid far less than the guys on the end?

2. The type of player that can hold their ground and rush the qb from the middle is rare and hard to find.
3. Although the role of dt is important, in their view it is not as important as spending resources at other positions.

I don't know if any of those are true, but they are my guesses as to why the cowboys don't invest more in dt. Rod doesn't value them as highly, and yet the defense improves every year
Because defensive tackles are hard to come by. Game-changing defensive tackles.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

If the Patriots don't get pressure up the middle Mahomes tears them apart in the championship game. Make no mistake about it you're Edge rushers can't get there if the quarterback is allowed to step up

kskboys

Reaction score
Is it really so hard to understand it all starts in the middle. Your Center, your defensive tackle, middle linebacker, strong safety, oh yeah quarterback LOL obviously this franchise doesn't understand the importance of a defensive tackle. You can't get pressure up the middle you can't win in this league.
Yup. Trenches. Extremely hard to win w/o strong trenches. Esp in the playoffs.

kskboys

Reaction score

DE's aren't anywhere near as effective w/o disruptive DT's.

Nature of the beast.

Improves? Yes. Takes the next step where it can dominate good/great QB's and O's in the playoffs? No.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Nature of the beast.

Improves? Yes. Takes the next step where it can dominate good/great QB's and O's in the playoffs? No.
Reason why this franchise went out and drafted Freddy. Romo was getting killed up the middle.

Flamma

Reaction score

You answered your own question with #2. I also don't believe #1. If you can find a guy that can consistently get pressure up the middle, he instantly becomes more important. Problem is, find him.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
You answered your own question with #2. I also don't believe #1. If you can find a guy that can consistently get pressure up the middle, he instantly becomes more important. Problem is, find him.

Dallas has been linked to top 15 DT picks, such as Vaea and Donald, that they weren't able to get. The team is interested when they do find someone they believe can do it, they just havent had the draft pick or the money at the right time yet.

It seems like they believe once you get past the rare DTs, you start seeing diminishing returns really fast. Too fast to warrant throwing midlevel resources at it. All or nothing.

I like the Covington pickup though

Reaction score
When you have incompetent head coaching like Dallas does, you need 53 All Pros to overcome that.

Thats hard to do.

dsturgeon

Reaction score

Nature of the beast.

I don't know the ins and out of how we use our dt's, but what are we lacking?

Considering what you want from them as a group, on a scale from 1 to 10, where is the dt position at?

Is there any player that the cowboys could have gotten in free agency or that is within their reach in the draft, that would get them near 10?

TWOK11

Reaction score
QB
OL
DL

Contenders are essentially always good at 2/3

Everything else is and always has been fan fodder. WR, DB, RB, LB and ST rarely matter if you are below average at QB, OL and DL.

The other position groups only serve to sometimes separate good from great teams in the playoffs.