How Tom Brady is like Muhammad Ali

RS12

Reaction score
I dont want to see the Ali version of Brady where Ali got battered pillar to post by Larry Holmes and then Trevor Berbick.

ksadler1

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Brady does without Belichick. We've already seen Belichick without Brady. They finished what, 10-6 or 11-5? I just don't see Brady working magic without Belichick. I agree that Brady should hang-em-up. He really has nothing to gain and IMO a lot to lose. Is he trying to prove he can do it without Belichick?...

kskboys

Reaction score
Well for 2 players who can't be compared, I still see a helluva lot of people comparing 'em.
Yes, using the facts and data that you are claiming we cannot allow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Nothing like Ali. Ali was an extremely gifted boxer that became legendary because of his in and out of the ring antics.

Brady was an overlooked QB that nearly didn't get drafted with an insane work ethic and health regimen. Brady didn't become legendary because of his mouth, he became legendary due to the dynasty he helped birth.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And Brady would've been forced to retire years ago if they'd have been allowed to hit him. Brady has the luxury of playing in the NFL when it's flag football for QB's.

What are you even talking about? Brady has taken a ton of hits, QBs still get injured often in this league. Can some of you stop pretending Brady isn't an ironman himself? Dude only missed games due to an ACL tear and suspension his entire career.

Dude is tough. There is absolutely nothing to suggest he couldn't have made it in previous eras. Dude is the GOAT.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Yes, using the facts and data that you are claiming we cannot allow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Facts and data are fine. Playing make believe is not. The fact that you have play make believe shows your thesis is a weak one.

As soon as you use the word “if” you’re no longer presenting facts and data. You’ve entered the world of make believe.

Ghost12

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how Brady does without Belichick. We've already seen Belichick without Brady. They finished what, 10-6 or 11-5? I just don't see Brady working magic without Belichick. I agree that Brady should hang-em-up. He really has nothing to gain and IMO a lot to lose. Is he trying to prove he can do it without Belichick?...
Belichick without Brady has 7 years experience, a .500 record and all of 1 playoff win.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Belichick without Brady has 7 years experience, a .500 record and all of 1 playoff win.

I was actually referring to the year Brady tore his knee up and the Pat's missed the playoffs but still finished 10-6 or 11-5 with their backup QB...

Ghost12

Reaction score
I was actually referring to the year Brady tore his knee up and the Pat's missed the playoffs but still finished 10-6 or 11-5 with their backup QB...
Yes. Matt Cassel inherited one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL (they lost the Super Bowl, but it is foolhardy not to recognize the 16-0 Patriots of 2007 as one of the greatest teams in NFL history) and went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

So I guess Brady's VORP is 5 games, which is a HUGE amount.

Pape

Reaction score
Yes. Matt Cassel inherited one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL (they lost the Super Bowl, but it is foolhardy not to recognize the 16-0 Patriots of 2007 as one of the greatest teams in NFL history) and went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

So I guess Brady's VORP is 5 games, which is a HUGE amount.
dont forget the 2008 team also scored 179 points less than the 2007 team.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He is nothing like Ali. Muhammad Ali transcended sports and is one of the most important icons of equality in American history. Tom Brady is a capitalist.

There are 500 other athletes who have held on too long. Comparing the two is an insult to Ali.

:facepalm:

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
He is nothing like Ali. Muhammad Ali transcended sports and is one of the most important icons of equality in American history. Tom Brady is a capitalist.

There are 500 other athletes who have held on too long. Comparing the two is an insult to Ali.
Wow, well this is certainly an OPINION....... lol. Personally I never liked Ali and think in their primes, Rocky Marciano would have knocked Ali out. But that is pure speculation since it never happened. I also think Floyd Mayweather was a better boxer than Ali. Ali is a good fighter wrapped up in a lot of hype.

Pape

Reaction score
Wow, well this is certainly an OPINION....... lol. Personally I never liked Ali and think in their primes, Rocky Marciano would have knocked Ali out. But that is pure speculation since it never happened. I also think Floyd Mayweather was a better boxer than Ali. Ali is a good fighter wrapped up in a lot of hype.
Ali was 6'3", fought 215 -230... Rocky was 5'10", fought 185-190... Ali would have beaten him soundly... Watch some of his old fights that aren't the rumble in the jungle... Guy was awesome... His jab was fast and powerful... Guy moved his head a lot, made him hard to hit, especially in light of his foot work... Complete package as a fighter... and Mayweather isn't half the boxer Ali was, and isn't a quarter of the fighter Ali was

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The greatest boxer of all time has to be Muhammad Ali. The self proclaimed “greatest” was the absolute GOAT in boxing. I won’t waste time here discussing his resume. But sadly, Ali continued to box long after his great left jab had left him. At the end of his career he was the saddest thing to watch in boxing.

Tom Brady with his 6 SB rings and innumerable playoff wins and other impressive records has to be the GOAT at QB. Like Ali, he’s earned incredible respect. He’s the best to ever play QB. But he’s almost 43.

And sadly like Muhammad Ali, Tom Brady doesn’t know when it’s over. He’s the GOAT but he’s no longer “the greatest” QB currently playing. Brady can add his name to the many great athletes over the years who don’t know when their greatness has ended. Like Michael Jordan, who played into his 40s. Like Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath who ended their HOF careers in cringe worthy fashion.

Brady should wise up and just retire. Few athletes are as wise as Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or Megatron. All great and all went out at their peak. All the Tom Brady to Dallas talk IMO is a sad joke. The future of the Dallas Cowboys should not be vested in the formerly great but now noodle armed Tom Brady. All this talk is nothing more than negotiating fodder for Dak and Brady.

I'll take prime Mike Tyson.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Ultimately you have to judge people on what they actually accomplished, not what you imagine someone else could have done instead (but didn't.)

Brady has the titles, everything else is white noise emoting by people who don't want to accept the obvious.

Most playoff wins, most Super Bowl wins, most Super Bowl MVPs, the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history by miles, the only overtime win in Super Bowl history. Hell, look at the roster he used in the 28-3 comeback game lol, his 4th quarter superstar was a 4th round rookie named Malcolm Mitchell who was never seen again after that game. He makes everybody else in the modern era look like a bum.

visionary

Reaction score
The greatest boxer of all time has to be Muhammad Ali. The self proclaimed “greatest” was the absolute GOAT in boxing. I won’t waste time here discussing his resume. But sadly, Ali continued to box long after his great left jab had left him. At the end of his career he was the saddest thing to watch in boxing.

Tom Brady with his 6 SB rings and innumerable playoff wins and other impressive records has to be the GOAT at QB. Like Ali, he’s earned incredible respect. He’s the best to ever play QB. But he’s almost 43.

And sadly like Muhammad Ali, Tom Brady doesn’t know when it’s over. He’s the GOAT but he’s no longer “the greatest” QB currently playing. Brady can add his name to the many great athletes over the years who don’t know when their greatness has ended. Like Michael Jordan, who played into his 40s. Like Johnny Unitas and Joe Namath who ended their HOF careers in cringe worthy fashion.

Brady should wise up and just retire. Few athletes are as wise as Jim Brown, Barry Sanders or Megatron. All great and all went out at their peak. All the Tom Brady to Dallas talk IMO is a sad joke. The future of the Dallas Cowboys should not be vested in the formerly great but now noodle armed Tom Brady. All this talk is nothing more than negotiating fodder for Dak and Brady.

Tom Brady is like Ali only between the lines but Tom has had to deal with none of the hatred that Ali had to deal with

Even there Tom plays a team sport and the pressures on an individual violent sport like boxing are on totally another level

Additionally, Ali is THE GREATEST not only because he was the greatest in the ring but also because he took on the establishment on multiple levels (race, religion, draft, justice etc) and stood tall and was victorious against all odds

Tom is not even close in that regard

The only one who comes close would be Jackie Robinson but even he is not quite where Ali is

This was an icon in the true meaning of the word

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’m not really sure why fans take such issue with when some of the greats decide their time is over. I think we forget the competitive nature in some of the GOAT.

Most of the greats competitive fire drives them until they physically can’t perform with injuries finally take their toll , their abilities deteriorating or simply not offered contracts because of financial restraints.

It doesn’t diminish their careers or legacy only our last memory of them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Tom Brady is like Ali only between the lines but Tom has had to deal with none of the hatred that Ali had to deal with

Even there Tom plays a team sport and the pressures on an individual violent sport like boxing are on totally another level

Additionally, Ali is THE GREATEST not only because he was the greatest in the ring but also because he took on the establishment on multiple levels (race, religion, draft, justice etc) and stood tall and was victorious against all odds

Tom is not even close in that regard

The only one who comes close would be Jackie Robinson but even he is not quite where Ali is

This was an icon in the true meaning of the word
I agree. I certainly wouldn’t compare Brady to Ali.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Ali is probably in a category of his own as he came back three different times to become World Heavyweight Champion. The first comeback of course was after being banned from boxing for unwilling to adhere to his draft notice ultimately winning his SC decision.

Even after his third comeback when he wasn’t at his height he still was a formidable boxer.

Last edited: