How Will the Passing Tree Routes Change?

rwalters31

Reaction score
Now that all the coaching staff is in place, what will the passing tree routes look like? I see the Bill Walsh West coast offense where the QB 3 step, 5 step, and 7 step drops dictate the timing and distance of receivers (Think Jerry Rice). What do you see?

Reactions: CWR

FanSince71

Reaction score
According to McCarthy, the offense will stay mostly the same with some of his flavor into design, game plan and situational football. We ran a lot of comebacks and curls, stick routes and go routes. WCO utilize more slants and crossing routes, drags, etc. Also remember that Mac liked to send Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson deep often, so we should still have plenty of downfield passing.

My suggestion to him (gosh, I hope he’s reading, lol) is to have a package of plays where we intentionally move the pocket because Dak is pretty darn good at improvising when he’s forced to move to avoid a sack. We have receivers that can create separation in the scramble drill.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
McCarthy might do well to work diligently with Dak on his slants and crossing routes. Seems as though such routes were among his weaknesses with us. That should prove interesting. Hopefully, he'll learn to effectively hit them in stride. It's much about timing and anticipation. MM is reputedly good about working with his QBs on such things, though. I'm fairly optimistic it'll all be worked out but we'll see. ;)

Last edited:

ItzKelz

Reaction score
According to McCarthy, the offense will stay mostly the same with some of his flavor into design, game plan and situational football. We ran a lot of comebacks and curls, stick routes and go routes. WCO utilize more slants and crossing routes, drags, etc. Also remember that Mac liked to send Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy Nelson deep often, so we should still have plenty of downfield passing.

My suggestion to him (gosh, I hope he’s reading, lol) is to have a package of plays where we intentionally move the pocket because Dak is pretty darn good at improvising when he’s forced to move to avoid a sack. We have receivers that can create separation in the scramble drill.
I thought MM said that Kellen was calling plays but we were running the West Coast offense. We ran nothing like the WC offense last season.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Just hand it off to Elliot and play action. Use Jarwin. Do some seam routes and a few slants. Other than that screens and same old routes. Mix it in and change it up. Will shock our opponents.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

That's pretty spot on in your assessment, if I might add that Pollard and Gallup will see an uptick in deployment, and how we use both of those skilled hands.
More of an intermediate game plan, with a few deep strikes.
Not much different than what we have been doing but MM will evolve players, and involve some of the younger talent like Jarwin, Pollard, Gallup more than we ever saw with Garret.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm guessing this offense will be all over the chart and I mean that is a good way as in nearly unstoppable. I think Mike looked at Kellen playbook and his eyes lit up with the excitement of how his WSCO experience and expertise could double/triple the number positive plays for this offense.

Think about......defensive coordinator will spend this offseason trying to figure out how to stop/attack Kellen's offense/playbook. But Mike is sitting back saying fine, but I'm holding 13 years play designs/playbook in my back pocket you won't see until I feed a little into Kellen's playbook game by game.

Hell, I'm excited.......

doomsday9084

Reaction score
By all reports, slants galore. Dak better practice hitting people on the run in stride.

Side note: Not changing language doesn't really mean much. Theoretically, the language a team uses should cover most possible routes. Just because Dallas is keeping the same play calling scheme doesn't mean that the plays will look the same.

conner01

Reaction score
I thought MM said that Kellen was calling plays but we were running the West Coast offense. We ran nothing like the WC offense last season.
You are right
He simply said Moore would call the plays on Sunday and use same terminology
I don’t think we see the old 49ers version of WCO but more of an updated version
7 step drops regularly today puts a lot of pressure on the oline
I suspect we incorporate more crossing routes, RB passes but still have the deep stuff some too
He never said he wasn’t changing the scheme though
I’m hoping we do more play action, screens and a more creative run game while staying as balanced as we can
It would be nice to have receivers running open around the field where you don’t have so many contested catches

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Watching the packers under him the passes came out quick to WRs sprinting down field. Just that change could change everything. Our OL wouldn’t have to hold their man off as long, Dak would be harder to sack, it will put so much pressure on the DBs. Under the old system or plays took too long to develop.

Reactions: CWR

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Depends on just how much west coast stuff MM implements. Dak's strength is not throwing the ball so he will either need to get alot better or get exposed.

Aven8

Reaction score
Well if Amari stays I hope they talk to him as he hates the comeback routes. He knows he can beat anyone off the line yet they keep making him run those boring routes where a WR is coming back to the QB. Get this dude on the move and showcase his skills already!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
You are right
I don’t think we see the old 49ers version of WCO but more of an updated version
I suspect we incorporate more crossing routes, RB passes but still have the deep stuff some too
I’m hoping we do more play action, screens and a more creative run game while staying as balanced as we can
It would be nice to have receivers running open around the field where you don’t have so many contested catches
Yea he flat out said we were running the West Coast offense.

CWR

Reaction score

Yes! Garrett wanted to turn Dak into Peyton Manning smh. We need to get him outside the pocket and utilize his legs. He also needs to be coached to take advantage of running lanes, tuck the ball in and go get em. There have been too many times hes passed up easy first down to throw the ball instead.

The idea of seeing more crossing routes and slants is awesome. Let your playmakers get that yac. Id also like to run more rub routes.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I thought MM said that Kellen was calling plays but we were running the West Coast offense.
Sure sounds like it will be a hybrid scheme.

“The old theory of ‘Don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater,’” McCarthy told local beat writers. “I want to keep it the same...Same is not the right word. I want to build off what has been established.”

CWR

Reaction score
You are right

Whatever we see this year will most likely be a combination of the two offenses. MM will hopefully make it a smooth transition, and by the second or third year it will be more his offense than Garretts.

conner01

Reaction score
Whatever we see this year will most likely be a combination of the two offenses. MM will hopefully make it a smooth transition, and by the second or third year it will be more his offense than Garretts.
That’s seems smart to me
I know some have bashed it but I like a slower transition
It’s not like our offensive scheme failed last year that bad. It was more that good teams beat it so tweak it some now to help there but a full transition could cause a real drop off

JustChip

Reaction score
By all reports, slants galore. Dak better practice hitting people on the run in stride.

Side note: Not changing language doesn't really mean much. Theoretically, the language a team uses should cover most possible routes. Just because Dallas is keeping the same play calling scheme doesn't mean that the plays will look the same.
Or when they’re called.