How would you defeat the Cowboys if you were Jay Gruden?

Fizziksman

BanditHiro
Reaction score
complain to the refs about arbitrary rules that the cowboys might be breaking.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
If the last two times the cowboys played real games were any indication I’d run right up the middle till they stopped it

Jipper

Reaction score
Blitz blitz blitz’s and try to keep dak out of rhythms, on offense have to push Peterson up the middle and go deep on heath...

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Offensively my gameplan would involve a lot of Vernon Davis since we cannot cover TEs to save our lives. Pound it with AP as long as the game is close and then get Chris Thompson going if need to catch up.

Defensively I guess put Norman on Gallup and then bracket Cooper to try and slow the passing game down. Then it's all about praying the front 7 can make Dak feel some pressure in the pocket and stopping Zeke, which will be tough.

Swanny

Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

How do you plan on defeating the Cowboys?
Try to dominate time of possession. Take as much time off the clock on every play. The rest is just execution by the players.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

I wouldn't be fooled by week 1 and still load the box and try and stop the run game right away and see if KM and Dak game 1 success was an outlier.. they know in the past Zekes the engine that makes this go and if we never establish the run, the PA fakes have less validity..

im going to challenge dak and the pass game more by stopping the run game early..

RodeoJake

Reaction score
If I was Gruden, I'd have my team dish out as much punishment as possible. Keep punching us in the mouth. Make it a junkyard dog fight. Make us prove we can be as tough as we are talented. It's also Skins vs the Boys. It's a game where the best teams have usually struggled.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
If I look in a mirror and discover I'm Jay Gruden I'm jumping with joy as the realization that I just made $5 million dollars sinks in.

Heck with game planning for Dallas, I'm going shopping.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Offense: Run the ball between the tackles and mix in play action. Control the clock and wear down the D. Old school football.

Defense: Zeke is still the priority, play 7 or 8 in the box and hope you can get them behind the chains. In obvious passing downs mix up coverages and run a lot of games on the line. Dak plays well against the blitz so I wouldn’t bring a ton of heat, use it selectively and disguise it as well as possible,

garyo1954

Reaction score
They're not as outmatched as you think there, Robert.

I hope the Cowboys don't take the field with such smarminess.

Prescott will but I'm talking about the other guys.

I seriously thought about that Risen. If I was Gruden, I have nothing to lose.
Dallas - Washington is always a close game. 5 of the last 6 (in the Prescott era have been decided by a TD or less. Two years ago Dallas won 38-14. Widest margin since Dak arrived. Last year we lost the first game 20 -17.

Good time to scare the devil out of the Cowboys. I'd go down to the film room, grab some Mike Martz's tapes and throw open his playbook. You aren't going to put in all his motion and install a new offense in one week, but you can add motion to at least some of what you are already running.

This is all Don Shula thinking, of course. As long as the game is close you just bide your time waiting for the opportunity to present itself.

It does two things.

1. You catch them by surprise. Now they have to wonder what else you have up your sleeve.
2. You get to see how Dallas will defend it. (May or may not help you, but their opponents down the road will thank you)

*You'd have to do all the research Sunday/Monday and be ready to start work on Tuesday, so I'm giving the Commanders any ideas.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Copy what the Rams did to the Cowboys in the playoffs.

Pay Trent Williams to return.

Give the Cowboys 3 first round picks for CB Jourdan Lewis to replace Josh Norman.

Take the Cowboys OLine out drinking the night before the game.

Sneak out the back door and take a job with his brother in Oakland.
I like the cut of your jib.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I call my brother and ask for the OC job and a 10 year contract.

ItzKelz

Reaction score

giphy.gif

SoupcanSam

Reaction score

Anything the skins plan on doing aggressive defensively would be like Moore and Dak finding gold.

Do you know how many players would be running wide open after presnap!

Their best bet is a shootout tbh.