How would you defeat the Cowboys if you were Jay Gruden?

JJHLH1

Reaction score
A heavy dose of Adrian Peterson, keeping our offense off the field as long as possible. Hope for a close game which will keep the crowd engaged. This is actually what I expect, but the Cowboys eke out a win.

garyo1954

Reaction score
Anything the skins plan on doing aggressive defensively would be like Moore and Dak finding gold.

Do you know how many players would be running wide open after presnap!

Their best bet is a shootout tbh.

That would be putting a lot of confidence in Keenum. In Minnesota he threw for 22 TDS, and 7 picks in 14(?) games. Last year in Denver he was 18 TDs against 15 picks.

That would definitely be off the beaten track but when a team has nothing to lose, they are dangerous!

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

How do you plan on defeating the Cowboys?

The best advice i can give a foreskin :
crack is wack bro .

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Was it George Allen that used to spy on our practices from trees with binoculars??
giphy-downsized.gif

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
They could run up the score in the eagles game in the first half and so that would be their game plan , score early and play run and defense and take mistakes from a young team to capitalize.

It will be upto the D to stop , also good test of D in the NFc East. If our D can co,e out stronger than eagles D and restrict Skins , our O cotntuing to click and score in RZ , then it willgo our way.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
You look in the mirror and discover YOU ARE JAY GRUDEN! You remember the Commanders play the Cowboys this week. And realize you are now the Head Coach of the Commanders!

How do you plan on defeating the Cowboys?

Score more points.

Kidnap Kellen Moore just in case.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
some really good ideas, but lets be honest. if you want to beat the Cowboys, first, if your the DC, you re going to have some fun and going to make KM crap his pants. Load it up and keep hammering our line. its not as impressive and a few kinks and a few bad backs will be showing up. Zeke just got paid, lets put it on live TV and see if hes all about it.

THe OC just needs to run it til Dallas can stop it, than work AB and wear down the line backers by passing the ball all over. make them chase it. Rod wont go for sacks, so dont play scared, keep getting after their DL. If you can do this to half time, chances are great you broke them, Garrett wont change his ways and neither will Rod. those are your two weaknesses. KM is young, he can still have the bejeesbus scared out of him

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
When your the underdog you gotta take chances on offense and put pressure on defense with lots of blitzing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
some really good ideas, but lets be honest. if you want to beat the Cowboys, first, if your the DC, you re going to have some fun and going to make KM crap his pants. Load it up and keep hammering our line. its not as impressive and a few kinks and a few bad backs will be showing up. Zeke just got paid, lets put it on live TV and see if hes all about it.

THe OC just needs to run it til Dallas can stop it, than work AB and wear down the line backers by passing the ball all over. make them chase it. Rod wont go for sacks, so dont play scared, keep getting after their DL. If you can do this to half time, chances are great you broke them, Garrett wont change his ways and neither will Rod. those are your two weaknesses. KM is young, he can still have the bejeesbus scared out of him
Considering Moore's college history, I don't know that scaring the "bejeesbus" out of him would be very easy.

Eanwen

Reaction score
Run the ball on offense.

Defense man up, press at the line, suicide blitzes. Contain contain contain.

Light some candles, pray...

I'm not reading this whole thread but I was surprised how little the Giants pressed. I don't think giving Amari a free release is a good idea.
Also I wonder how every other defense handles PA that involves pulling guards. I re watched the game and the Giants were doing it to us with decent results.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would stop the run first. And make Prescott beat me. But we saw that how worked out for the Giants. But that's the only chance he has

garyo1954

Reaction score
You're really Gruden, looking for ideas, aren't you?

LOL! Post of the day!

I confess. I have been looking at Mike Martz playbook. With all the motion and shifts the only thing that can't be changed is what happens after the ball is snapped. Martz did a lot of the same things Urban Meyer did. A lot of his plays have the outside guys running the same, mirroring the outside routes.

Makes it easier for the QB to read the field. Read left right, then to the short routes in the center of the field. The QB don't have to refocus, or change positions, short stuff is all right in front of him. (But don't get comfortable defense. Soon as you know that, there's another surprise).

He'll run a play like JACK RT LIZ 989 PUMP F RUB/SNEAK where X and Z both run fly patterns. In this case they'll go 12-15 yards, take a stutter step, then continue. As soon as he see the corners biting on the stutter step/pump, he'll come back with JACK RT LIZ 989 F RUB/SNEAK. No PUMP/no stutter step. When the corner bites for the stutter, the receiver flies right on by. Or do it the other way.

Its not all symmetrical. But when it is, he has two or three (or more) options that give it a new look.

What kills the system is turnovers. The Rams averaged 2+ turnovers a game. If you're playing a good team that doesn't commit turnovers, you put yourself in a hole giving it up twice a game. Hard hitting defense that goes after the ball is a big advantage there.

I hope Jay is enjoying this thread as much as I am. We've given him some go ideas. Still like the Gillooly deal!)

Retro88

Reaction score
Do whatever I could to keep Dallas' team plane from touching down