How would you feel if OG Nelson started falling in the draft?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Just suppose OG Nelson started falling in the draft. Despite his rating, he is a guard. Few teams value guards the way we do. QBs, Bradley, Chubb, LBs, DBs....lots of highly rated guys. Let’s say, as is usual in the draft, even a couple of tackles go first, and Nelson is dropping for bigger needs and valued positions. If Dallas moved up 3-4 slots to take him, how would you feel if Cam Fleming or someone else challenged Collins at RT, and for 2019, Dallas allowed Martin to walk for the highest contract ever by a guard.

We’d have lost the best, but we’d have Collins and Nelson at guard and much more money to spend on other positions. How would you feel? Despite BPA, I could easily see teams valuing defense and a couple of tackles more than a guard.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Just suppose OG Nelson started falling in the draft. Despite his rating, he is a guard. Few teams value guards the way we do. QBs, Bradley, Chubb, LBs, DBs....lots of highly rated guys. Let’s say, as is usual in the draft, even a couple of tackles go first, and Nelson is dropping for bigger needs and valued positions. If Dallas moved up 3-4 slots to take him, how would you feel if Cam Fleming or someone else challenged Collins at RT, and for 2019, Dallas allowed Martin to walk for the highest contract ever by a guard.

We’d have lost the best, but we’d have Collins and Nelson at guard and much more money to spend on other positions. How would you feel? Despite BPA, I could easily see teams valuing defense and a couple of tackles more than a guard.

I know there are some who don't want to pay Z Mart like the best but he is the best. I understand your thinking on this one but I'm hoping we go the way of the Patriots and reserve some of the salary cap money that many teams pay out on WR's and use it on the O-line and D. I want the best O-line in the game to protect my QB so he can spread the ball around like it was 2016 and open holes for the best player on out team, EZ. I'm old school that way.

I'd love to know today what the coaches are thinking as far as Collins and what position he plays in 2018. We're just assuming he'll play RT. If he sticks at RT we NEED a G high in the draft. M Mart does not appear to be a starting LG at all. I've read fans posts that any LG will do between Tyron ad Freddy. I don't believe the Cowboys are thinking that way or Cooper would still be here. If Collins moves back to LG, then at the very least we need to draft a T who will challenge Flemming. No free rides!

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I know there are some who don't want to pay Z Mart like the best but he is the best. I understand your thinking on this one but I'm hoping we go the way of the Patriots and reserve some of the salary cap money that many teams pay out on WR's and use it on the O-line and D. I want the best O-line in the game to protect my QB so he can spread the ball around like it was 2016 and open holes for the best player on out team, EZ. I'm old school that way.

I'd love to know today what the coaches are thinking as far as Collins and what position he plays in 2018. We're just assuming he'll play RT. If he sticks at RT we NEED a G high in the draft. M Mart does not appear to be a starting LG at all. I've read fans posts that any LG will do between Tyron ad Freddy. I don't believe the Cowboys are thinking that way or Cooper would still be here. If Collins moves back to LG, then at the very least we need to draft a T who will challenge Flemming. No free rides!
I agree completely. We have to add either a guard or tackle at the least. I’m not in favor of letting Martin walk, but if we drafted a starting guard and if Flemming came on and beat out Collins at RT, I’d seriously consider Collins and the rookie as my guards and letting Martin walk next year. Very unlikely to fall that way, just something that popped into my empty head....lol.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There will be plenty of cap space next year. You extend Martin, because you know he is good.
You really don't know about rookies. You think you do, but to take that chance, no way. Not when you are pretty well set for now.

I may be one of the few that feel we do not, and must not draft OL in the 1st round. Or seems like I am one of the few to me.

We can get some OL depth to develop in the mid rounds IMO.

We must go D, DT or LB unless James drops to us at S. But I think that is 3rd on the list for a player on D.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think Nelson falls.

I think if you want to worry about someone falling and possibly us taking out of the blue keep the name DE Harold Landry from Boston College in your mind.

I see him falling many mock drafts and it has become so common that even the NFLN Live mock draft they had on Sunday Night with a bunch of different people making picks for the teams...I am pretty sure he did not even show up in the first round unless I missed it.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
They will go best player available if someone falls to us at our slot.

And this should be over in the Draft Zone.

Hardline

Reaction score
Nelson dropping to 10 would be considered "falling".
I'm 98% certain he goes to Denver with the fifth pick and possibly second overall to New York.
The Cowboys won't get within sniffing distance of Nelson.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I don't think Nelson falls.

I think if you want to worry about someone falling and possibly us taking out of the blue keep the name DE Harold Landry from Boston College in your mind.

I see him falling many mock drafts and it has become so common that even the NFLN Live mock draft they had on Sunday Night with a bunch of different people making picks for the teams...I am pretty sure he did not even show up in the first round unless I missed it.

I will be surprised if Landry is not picked in the top 10.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Nelson dropping to 10 would be considered "falling".
I'm 98% certain he goes to Denver with the fifth pick and possibly second overall to New York.
The Cowboys won't get within sniffing distance of Nelson.

There is a good chance Denver moves that 5th pick to Buffalo or Miami. Why trade for #4 when you know Cleveland isn't take a 2nd QB?

I still wouldnt move up to get Nelson, and no way are they letting Z. Martin walk away without getting anything for him.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I said the Cowboys would be idiots to take a guard in the 1st round. But if Nelson inexplicably falls in range for the Cowboys to get him with #19 & #81 - they'd be idiots not to get him.