How would you rank Meredith, Staubach, White, Aikman, Romo?

Zordon

Reaction score
It depends what the rank is for. In terms of pure talent: Romo>Staubach>Aikman>White>Meredith. If you're going to factor in team accomplishments into equation: Staubach>Aikman>Romo...and White/Meredith are interchangeable.

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious how he is more talented then Aikman?

Aikman was stronger...had a bigger arm, tighter spiral.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Not trying to pick a fight, just curious how he is more talented then Aikman?

Aikman was stronger...had a bigger arm, tighter spiral.

Romo is more athletic, does things on the field Aikman couldn't ever do, the production numbers aren't even on the same stratosphere while Romo plays behind a vastly inferior oline, etc. And tighter spiral? I'm not sure if you're being serious with even mattering or being some kind of measurement. Either way, if you insert Aikman in on that Broncos game, IMO, we would have been obliterated.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Based on talent-
1) Romo
2) White
3) Staubach
4) Aikman
5) Meredith

Romo either owns or will own every Cowboys passing record when he's done. Danny White was a great QB that beat most of Staubach's records but is labeled like Romo. Staubach was named Captain Comeback for a reason and our best running QB. Aikman never put up great numbers but his accuracy was second to none and he had more help than any other QB. Aikman teams had the #1 offense with the help of the NFL's leading rusher Emmitt Smith, and the #1 Defense, so a lot of QB's could have played on that team and did ok.

Not to take away anything from Aikman but Great QBs have to play on good/great teams. But you are right about Aikman's team, see Kosar, Buerlein, Peete, Garrett the only ones that sis not do well were Laufenberg and Walsh.

Gameover

Reaction score
Romo is more athletic, does things on the field Aikman couldn't ever do, the production numbers aren't even on the same stratosphere while Romo plays behind a vastly inferior oline, etc. And tighter spiral? I'm not sure if you're being serious with even mattering or being some kind of measurement. Either way, if you insert Aikman in on that Broncos game, IMO, we would have been obliterated.

Aikman was actually faster than Romo. Romo is better at eluding rushers with his side to side movements. Romo was virtually untouched from the second quarter til the last drive. He could've thrown a picnic in the third and most of the fourth quarters.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Aikman was actually faster than Romo. Romo is better at eluding rushers with his side to side movements. Romo was virtually untouched from the second quarter til the last drive. He could've thrown a picnic in the third and most of the fourth quarters.

Well I don't think Romo's athletic prowess has ever been because of his run speed. lol

Zordon

Reaction score

I don't know why this scenario keeps being brought up b/c this team/oline wouldn't be built like it currently is if Aikman was our QB. Jerry has said that Romo's athleticism in the pocket allows the team to focus less resources on the oline. When you have a strong/accurate arm that consistently throws tight spirals (yes that matters to receivers), who needs athletcism.

Gameover

Reaction score
Not to take away anything from Aikman but Great QBs have to play on good/great teams. But you are right about Aikman's team, see Kosar, Buerlein, Peete, Garrett the only ones that sis not do well were Laufenberg and Walsh.

Wade Wilson sucked.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Didn't see them all play except for White, Aikman and Romo. Romo does some things that set him apart from White and Aikamn but Aikman had a better arm and was way more consistent. Accuracy is dependant on the day with Romo. Accuracy was Aikman's calling card.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I don't know why this scenario keeps being brought up b/c this team/oline wouldn't be built like it currently is if Aikman was our QB. Jerry has said that Romo's athleticism in the pocket allows the team to focus less resources on the oline. When you have a strong/accurate arm that consistently throws tight spirals (yes that matters to receivers), who needs athletcism.

Fair enough but it doesn't change the fact that Romo has a higher completion % while having to run for his life much of his career.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
LOL.....how many people have actually seen all 5 Cowboys to even rank lol? Just curious. I have a feeling some of these guys are in their 20's and weren't even born when Meredith, Staubach and White were playing.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Romo will finish his career as the all-time Cowboys leader in Yards, TDs (already is), Rating, 4th Quarter comebacks(already is), Completion %, Int % and quite possibly game winning drives. IF he doesn't win a SB, he will not be considered the best QB to play for the cowboys even with all these stats.

seamus18

Reaction score
Having personally watched 4 of the 5, I have to say that Aikman had the most pure talent of any on the list. Not athleticism, just talent. He just didn't play in today's all passing NFL, and didn't need to with Emmitt. If he had, I'm sure he would have ranked up there with the best as far as numbers. As far as I'm concerned, Tony and Roger were actually the most fun to watch. I even believe Tony has more talent than Roger, but until he wins the big one, I have to go:

Troy
Roger
Tony
Meredith
White (and I did like white)