How would you rank our strengths and weaknesses?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
What order would put these 4 major parts of the team from last year? 1 being our biggest strength and 4 being our biggest weakness.

Defense, Offense, Coaching, Special Teams

How would you rank them going into 2020?

quickccc

Reaction score
Since its coaching that heads and makes up all phases of the team
1 Coaching
2 Offense
3 Special Teams
4 Defense

Coaching:
Head Coach - McCarthy is regarded as one of the better HC's in the NFL , and one of the better offensive minds in the NFL and he has
a SB under his resume and credentials. Here's hoping he's much better game manager, in-game adjuster and overseer than Garrett.

OC - K-Moore made Cowboys the no #1. rank Offense is yrds gained.,, 2nd in pass yrds. .7th in total TDs....and tied for 5th in passing TDs.
Moore has more pluses vs minuses; pre-snap motion/formations, route designs, huddle pace, vertical push emphasis..

QB coach - Doug Nussemeir- imo, i really believe 3 coaches had a huge difference in improving Dak's game ( Nussemeir-Moore-Kitna)
really dunno David House factors

OL coach - new OL coach Joe Philibin is the only coach hire i'm concerned about. Colts OL job was a failure, Criticized for Miami OL problems
and James Campen was GB Oline coach for last 11 years, and run game coach,and developed hidden gems... not Philbin.

WR (adam henry) and RB (skip peete) noted as reputable position coaches

Special teams: Fassel is considered one of the renowned special teams coaches in NFL. Has rep for fundamentally disciplined unit
firm kicking game and known to challenge opposing SP unit upfront. Will fake punt, motion to draw off sides penalties.etc.

Defense: Some here have mixed views about DC Mike Nolan, whose had ups and downs as DC in his career; will run High Risk D" with hybrid fronts and press coverage- has notable assts. such as Jim Tomsula, George Edwards and Al Harris.
Edwards had been an reputable DC with Vikes, is now LB coach here, Tomusla regarded as one of the better DL coaches, and Harris is noted as an aggressive press-jam Coverage 1 and 3 DB coaches.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Coaching - This coaching staff is light years ahead of what we saw under Garrett. The scheme will be better as will the overall effort. I think the players were ready for a change. No more vanilla coverage and schemes.

Offense - The only reason this unit isn't hire is because we had as dynamic an offense last year as we did this year. Again, coaching (which includes play-calling) was a major factor in this unit underachieving. Coaching and another element I care not to mention or discuss because I don't want this thread to go down that road. We will see the proof of coaching AND the other element this season, should the season be played, that is.

Defense - I think we largely underperformed because of scheme and players simply being discouraged our scheme was so vanilla. I expect more pressure on the quarterback and more interceptions this year.

Special Teams
- It's hard to evaluate this unit or have it ranked higher because the lack of a full training camp is going to impact rookies and undrafted free agents who will make up the bulk of the special teams unit.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
My ranking would be the same even if Garrett and his staff were still around because the defense and special teams have been a liability all the way back to Parcells and his staff.

Offense
HC/staff
Defense
Special teams

Last edited:

Skillit

Reaction score
How do we know anything about the staff outside of reputation?

my point- if it wasn’t Garrett and it was Dak who couldn’t execute against good teams—we are about to see another 8-8ish season.

I don’t remember how many time the D was just trying to get a little help from our O only to see underperformance after underperformance.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From last season

1. Offense
2. Defense.....I list this 2nd because at times it did play decent.
3. ST's
4. HC / coaching....since most depends on coaching, it effects all else, so the coaching I list as the worse.

For this year, Really remains to be seen. But until that happens, my guess.

1. Offense....it should not change much, and possibly be better, though may not be #1 in yards, but be more efficient. As if ST's and defense improves, they get better field position, therefore not as many yards to go for a score.
2. HC / coaching....this staff on paper looks to be so much better than the previous 10 seasons, can't be any worse.
3. Defense............the core is there. So we will see how it improves.
4. ST's..................has no where to go but up, but still need to see it. This will be a coaching betterment, as not a lot of depth to make it better, if it is, it is all on the coaching.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Its extremely difficult to judge exactly how much this team and certain players were held back by the last staff....and that same staff knowing they were about done.

Things like Witten over Jarwin when Witten clearly couldn't run anymore...

Thompson over giving Wilson a shot...

That's nothing compared to the game plans, predictability, and pure bonehead decisions in game management.

We really gotta see things moving ahead.

I'm more encouraged than not.

Sydla

Reaction score
Offense
Coaching
ST
Defense

I think our STs problems were largely tied to coaching, not talent (well other than PK early). Defense scares me. I don't see much of a pass rush, again. They are taking way too many risks by counting on Gregory and Smith to somehow provide a high level edge rusher opposite Lawrence. Even with Quinn last year, we were a mediocre pass rushing team. I know they want to generate turnovers but I don't think you can do that being so mediocre at getting after the QB.