CFZ How Zeke in a new role would help us WIN more

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Zeke Elliott will never again be what he once was. Ever. BUT- he’s probably just got one more year here and accepting who Zeke is now and understanding how he could still help us WIN is a good step forward. So let’s look at why Zeke has declined and how he can still help us.

WHY ZEKE HAS DECLINED:
  • His body has endured a ton of touches since college.
    • This goes all the way back to his days at Ohio state. He had 650 touches- rushing and receiving at OSU in 3 years.
    • In 6 seasons of NFL games, he has an additional 1938 total touches- that’s a whopping 2,588 which averages out to nearly 300 touches a year for 9 straight seasons.
That’s a tough load for anyone’s body. He’s no longer capable of 350 touch season that gives us what we need to win. We need to accept him having a lesser role.

HOW CAN ZEKE STILL BE USED TO HELP US WIN:
  • Zeke has evolved from an explosive quick strike back to a slower, methodical power back. It makes zero sense for the Cowboys to pretend he is ever going to be what he was in 2016-19.
  • Here’s how we can use him and help us win. Use Zeke as a power back and situational receiver who needs about 12-15 touches a game- MAX. Using Pollard MORE helps this team have more chances for a big play. Keeping Zeke at 20 touches a game reduces our big play chances.
  • He needs to be in a RBBC. Using Zeke, Tony Pollard and perhaps another back is a great way to have a better situational running game. We just need him to be part of helping this team win.
  • He would make an excellent goal line and short yardage runner. Maybe even a great close out runner in the role Marion Barber played about 15 years ago. But his load needs to be managed carefully. He doesn’t have a productive 20-25 carry game left in him IMO.
With all that’s been said above, I fully expect Zeke to be in his usual role because of Jerry. JJ always plays his players based 100% on how much he’s paying them as opposed to how much he helps the TEAM. Tony Pollard should be at least 12 touches a game himself.

Zeke Elliott can still help this team win. But he would give us a better chance by reducing his role.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I'm assuming you think Pollard should start. LOL....coz of his salary, that will need Jerry and Stephen Jones's approval. Good luck with that.......remember Stephen called him a Worrier a couple of months ago.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Elliotts success = Cowboys success.

It’s no accident both years he led he league in rushing was our best seasons with Dak in 2016 and 2018 reaching divisional playoff round .

His production takes pressure off our QB and helps mask our defense weaknesses.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pollard isn't a starter, can't take the punishment....he didn't even start in college.
I'm assuming you think Pollard should start. LOL....coz of his salary, that will need Jerry and Stephen Jones's approval. Good luck with that.......remember Stephen called him a Worrier a couple of months ago.
Who said Pollard needs to start? He just needs more of the load. The more chances our big play people get, the better chances we have for a big play. We need a RBBC, not a Zeke-centric RB situation. Zeke can start. Just don’t play him like it’s 2016.

Here’s what I said in the OP about Jerry demanding Zeke play the majority of time: “I fully expect Zeke to be in his usual role because of Jerry. JJ always plays his players based 100% on how much he’s paying them as opposed to how much he helps the TEAM. Tony Pollard should be at least 12 touches a game himself.”

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If Elliott and or Pollard can’t carry the load then our Mgmt has totally mismanaged our team by not bringing in or drafting another RB who can carry the load.

Which was my biggest disappointment in draft not drafting at least a mid round RB.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who said Pollard needs to start? He just needs more of the load. The more chances our big play people get, the better chances we have for a big play. We need a RBBC, not a Zeke-centric RB situation. Zeke can start. Just don’t play him like it’s 2016.

Here’s what I said in the OP about Jerry demanding Zeke play the majority of time: “I fully expect Zeke to be in his usual role because of Jerry. JJ always plays his players based 100% on how much he’s paying them as opposed to how much he helps the TEAM. Tony Pollard should be at least 12 touches a game himself.”
Touchy, touchy.....Pollard is a part time player and stirring the pot leads one to think that you are for him starting.....I'd like to know how you know what JJ is thinking.....or are you just assuming?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Touchy, touchy.....Pollard is a part time player and stirring the pot leads one to think that you are for him starting.....I'd like to know how you know what JJ is thinking.....or are you just assuming?
Lol. Like I said earlier…I don’t care who starts. We just need less Zeke and more Pollard and whoever else having the ball in their hands that can be a big play maker. If Zeke has 20 touches- which would be nearly 30% of total offensive touches in a game-that’s too much for a guy who is the 3rd best big play option on the team.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Zeke Elliott will never again be what he once was. Ever. BUT- he’s probably just got one more year here and accepting who Zeke is now and understanding how he could still help us WIN is a good step forward. So let’s look at why Zeke has declined and how he can still help us.

WHY ZEKE HAS DECLINED:
    • This goes all the way back to his days at Ohio state. He had 650 touches- rushing and receiving at OSU in 3 years.
    • In 6 seasons of NFL games, he has an additional 1938 total touches- that’s a whopping 2,588 which averages out to nearly 300 touches a year for 9 straight seasons.
That’s a tough load for anyone’s body. He’s no longer capable of 350 touch season that gives us what we need to win. We need to accept him having a lesser role.

• Zeke has evolved from an explosive quick strike back to a slower, methodical power back. It makes zero sense for the Cowboys to pretend he is ever going to be what he was in 2016-19.
  • Here’s how we can use him and help us win. Use Zeke as a power back and situational receiver who needs about 12-15 touches a game- MAX. Using Pollard MORE helps this team have more chances for a big play. Keeping Zeke at 20 touches a game reduces our big play chances.
  • He needs to be in a RBBC. Using Zeke, Tony Pollard and perhaps another back is a great way to have a better situational running game. We just need him to be part of helping this team win.
  • He would make an excellent goal line and short yardage runner. Maybe even a great close out runner in the role Marion Barber played about 15 years ago. But his load needs to be managed carefully. He doesn’t have a productive 20-25 carry game left in him IMO.
With all that’s been said above, I fully expect Zeke to be in his usual role because of Jerry. JJ always plays his players based 100% on how much he’s paying them as opposed to how much he helps the TEAM. Tony Pollard should be at least 12 touches a game himself.

Zeke Elliott can still help this team win. But he would give us a better chance by reducing his role.
Zeke was damn good last season until he dinged that knee. He and Pollard was pretty much unstoppable. If he can get back to what he was a year ago, I think we will all like what we see.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol. Like I said earlier…I don’t care who starts. We just need less Zeke and more Pollard and whoever else having the ball in their hands that can be a big play maker. If Zeke has 20 touches- which would be nearly 30% of total offensive touches in a game-that’s too much for a guy who is the 3rd best big play option on the team.
I'll wait to see how he comes back from his injury....

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

WHY ZEKE HAS DECLINED:

Great post per usual!

My one issue with RBBC…and it’s not that it doesn’t work or that it couldn’t help us immensely.. is telegraphing plays. I thought KM took a step back last year and at times we looked like we couldn’t get creative. The minute I read this I started thinking of a 3 headed RBBC and other teams saying “oh it’s Rico, it’s the jet sweep” or “it’s Zeke lined up on the right. Look for …” ..you get the picture. I know all teams deal with this but I’m hoping this year brings more creativity from KM and our situational play calling doesn’t turn into patterns.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great post per usual!

My one issue with RBBC…and it’s not that it doesn’t work or that it couldn’t help us immensely.. is telegraphing plays. I thought KM took a step back last year and at times we looked like we couldn’t get creative. The minute I read this I started thinking of a 3 headed RBBC and other teams saying “oh it’s Rico, it’s the jet sweep” or “it’s Zeke lined up on the right. Look for …” ..you get the picture. I know all teams deal with this but I’m hoping this year brings more creativity from KM and our situational play calling doesn’t turn into patterns.
Me too on the creativity. I believe a RBBC can work very well in the hands of a creative OC. Remains to be seen if Kellen Moore is that guy. The winners of the last 4-5 SBs had RBBC and also a very creative offensive mind.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
IMO, the Zeke/Pollard decision will have a bigger impact on team results than virtually anything else on the team outside of a catastrophic injury.

If you get a run game going, its going to make Dak look better AND the defense look better. The primary reason why Dallas folded last year was because the run game died and teams figured it out.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
When Zeke was surrounded by other big bodied skill players, he seemed to do better. Guess you can't rely on one guy to wear down the defense. Wearing down the defense should be a team effort. When the defense has to tackle Dez, Witten and TWill, taking on Zeke seems like fighting a grizzly.

My point is this team should be built, from top to bottom, to run the ball. Balance is the key to success when you don't have a super-duper star QB. Every little bit helps in this physical sport, so get physical players.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

WHY ZEKE HAS DECLINED:

Was thinking the same thing you said about Jerry.