Article: Hungarian Scientists May Have Found A Fifth Force Of Nature

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/22/world/fifth-force-of-nature-scn-trnd/index.html

A 'no-brainer Nobel Prize': Hungarian scientists may have found a fifth force of nature
By Ryan Prior, CNN
Updated 2:44 PM ET, Sat November 23, 2019

Physics centers essentially on four forces that control our known, visible universe, governing everything from the production of heat in the sun to the way your laptop works. They are gravity, electromagnetism, the weak nuclear force, and the strong force.

New research may be leading us closer to one more.

Scientists at the Institute for Nuclear Research at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (Atomki) have posted findings showing what could be an example of that fifth force at work.

The scientists were closely watching how an excited helium atom emitted light as it decayed. The particles split at an unusual angle -- 115 degrees -- which couldn't be explained by known physics.

Read the rest of the article here

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I read about this. It's definitely an interesting development, but I need a sigma result to even really consider it. Two positives in billions is just not good enough.

I'm sure they will start focusing around 17GeV to validate what they are finding. If it can link dark matter (or whatever it is), this would be HUGE. Making the finding of the higgs boson look like a relatively small discovery.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Seeing as gravity is the weakest force, and electromagnetic is the strongest, that'd be a big fat no.
:grin:

Actually, the strong force is the strongest force followed by electromagnetic force, weak force, and finally gravity.

The boon for gravity and electromagnetic force is that their effects are infinite while the weak force range is 2x10-18 (that is 2 times 10 to the negative 18) and strong force range is 1.5x10-15. (don't have time to figure out subscript here)

Though they say theoretically, the strong force can be limit-less too, (due to gluons being mass-less) but the strong force is quite freaky anyhow.

The strong force is odd, though, because unlike any of the other fundamental forces, it gets weaker as subatomic particles move closer together. It actually reaches maximum strength when the particles are farthest away from each other

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Actually, the strong force is the strongest force followed by electromagnetic force, weak force, and finally gravity.

The boon for gravity and electromagnetic force is that their effects are infinite while the weak force range is 2x10-18 (that is 2 times 10 to the negative 18) and strong force range is 1.5x10-15. (don't have time to figure out subscript here)

Though they say theoretically, the strong force can be limit-less too, (due to gluons being mass-less) but the strong force is quite freaky anyhow.

The strong force is odd, though, because unlike any of the other fundamental forces, it gets weaker as subatomic particles move closer together. It actually reaches maximum strength when the particles are farthest away from each other
My bad. I could've sworn Brian Greene had stated that electromagnetic was the strongest force, but upon further review, I see that Strong nuclear is about 100 times stronger.....At least I was right about gravity being weakest, so I don't feel too stupid. :facepalm:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
My bad. I could've sworn Brian Greene had stated that electromagnetic was the strongest force, but upon further review, I see that Strong nuclear is about 100 times stronger.....At least I was right about gravity being weakest, so I don't feel too stupid. :facepalm:
Stupid is not an appropriate term lol. Ignorance is when you don't know, stupid is when you can't grasp it. In all truth, you knew (you had read the book) You had just forgotten. That happens. Heck, I have to look crap up all the time. We absorb so much information at times, there is no way we could remember everything!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Stupid is not an appropriate term lol. Ignorance is when you don't know, stupid is when you can't grasp it. In all truth, you knew (you had read the book) You had just forgotten. That happens. Heck, I have to look crap up all the time. We absorb so much information at times, there is no way we could remember everything!
There was so much information in that book, much of it extraneous, that I'm actually surprised how much I do remember. I'll read it again someday, when I have the time.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Seeing as gravity is the weakest force, and electromagnetic is the strongest, that'd be a big fat no.
:grin:
That's just a bunch of illogical mumbo jumbo to me. The core of our planet and the core of our sun is electromagnetic. Both cores produce gravity. All of the electronic devices in my house produce an electromagnetic field. All of these electric devices get dusty as hell, because the electromagnetic fields produced by them acts like a gravitational field. It actually draws dust toward them. So how can gravity and electromagnetism be two completely different things when you cant separate them?

They are not seeing these two as being one, because they don't think gravity repels. But just like a magnet repels and attracts so does gravity. If gravity doesn't repel then the Moon would crash into our planet and Mercury would crash into the Sun.

To me, they are one and always will be one because you cant separate them. Is science really science if its illogical as hell? Scientists are stupid. You just can't throw logic out of the window.

The Moon is caught in Earth's gravitational field, but the Moon as never crashed into the Earth. Shouldn't that tell them something.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That's just a bunch of illogical mumbo jumbo to me. The core of our planet and the core of our sun is electromagnetic. Both cores produce gravity. All of the electronic devices in my house produce an electromagnetic field. All of these electric devices get dusty as hell, because the electromagnetic fields produced by them acts like a gravitational field. It actually draws dust toward them. So how can gravity and electromagnetism be two completely different things when you cant separate them?

They are not seeing these two as being one, because they don't think gravity repels. But just like a magnet repels and attracts so does gravity. If gravity doesn't repel then the Moon would crash into our planet and Mercury would crash into the Sun.

To me, they are one and always will be one because you cant separate them. Is science really science if its illogical as hell? Scientists are stupid. You just can't throw logic out of the window.

The Moon is caught in Earth's gravitational field, but the Moon as never crashed into the Earth. Shouldn't that tell them something.
Inertia is what keeps the moon from crashing into the Earth, while gravity keeps it from flying off into space. It is actually very slowly moving farther away from us and will eventually escape. Gravity doesn't repel. If you've never seen a simple explanation of gravity, it's similar to placing a bowling ball in the middle of a trampoline, and rolling smaller, lighter balls around it. (It's a good visual aid, but you have to try to imagine this happening from every conceivable angle at the same time.)

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Only two examples of the experiment resulting in this, yet it's already more convincing than string theory. lol

I still believe in string theory. I believe the failure in proving it lies in the limitations of our mathematics. In order to prove something that resides outside our physical laws, we need to disregard the principles we hold as always true.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I still believe in string theory. I believe the failure in proving it lies in the limitations of our mathematics. In order to prove something that resides outside our physical laws, we need to disregard the principles we hold as always true.
If string theory is correct, the biggest issue with proving it is not having the technology to see something so small.