Hurns in the slot

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
In that 2015 season where Hurns went for more than 1,000 yard receiving on just 65 receptions to go along with 10 touchdowns, Hurns caught 29 passes out of the slot and seven of his touchdowns.

From Barry Church...

What’s the scouting report on former Jaguars teammate Allen Hurns?

Church: ”What [the Cowboys are] going to get in that guy — he was definitely one of the hardest workers out of our locker room last year. He had a lot of bumps and bruises throughout the season, and he didn’t complain once. He just went back out there and did his job, and did his job really well.”

“To me, he’s more of an inside slot receiver who can also play outside. It’s going to be interesting to see how they put him in there just because you guys got a great slot receiver already in [Cole] Beasley. So, it’s going to be interesting to see how they do him.”

”But, in my opinion, he’s a great slot receiver with the ability to play outside. He’s a good blocker, ultimate teammate, so there’s a great pickup for the Cowboys.”

Why do you think he’s better in the slot?

Church: ”That’s just where I saw him do a lot of his damage this season. It was my first year playing with him, and first year really kind of watching him out there, and I felt like he was able to get open more and basically be able to find the ball more being in the slot.”

”He was a key guy on third downs for us. He’s one of our leading receiver on third down, and that’s where he worked out of — the slot. I feel like he did a lot of his damage in there, and best damage in there.”

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agree that he’s a really good slot WR but he’s more Keyshawn Johnson then he is Cole Beasley and I think Dak likes that guy who can get open quick and Hurns doesn’t provide that.

He’s a classic possession guy.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We saw what hurns can do both before and after Cooper arrived. Maybe his size helps give Dak the confidence to throw to him from the slot but he won't be more open than what we had in Beasley.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No question I think this will be a good move for him. Asking him to replace Dez did him no favors but give him credit, he gave it his best shot.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Agree that he’s a really good slot WR but he’s more Keyshawn Johnson then he is Cole Beasley and I think Dak likes that guy who can get open quick and Hurns doesn’t provide that.

He’s slightly was quick than Cole, in using 3 cone times and 40s.

His larger frame should allow for him to adjust more to errant throws, plus his ability to play outside really pushes him over the top for me.

But I agree, the one thing I want dak to work on more than anything and I’ve argued and defended paying him, is throwing people open more. Trusting his arm.

cern

Reaction score
I hope he can completely recover from the devastating injury suffered against the seahawks. if he does, he will be more than able to fill in for Beasley.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
I hope he can completely recover from the devastating injury suffered against the seahawks. if he does, he will be more than able to fill in for Beasley.

As far as reports go, he’s already been back at the star working out and is expected to be a full participant come August at the latest.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Slot Performance, 2018
Beasley 421 snaps, 70 targets, 54 catches, 613 yards
Cooper 53 snaps, 11 targets, 9 catches, 147 yards
Gallup 49 snaps, 5 targets, 4 catches, 79 yards
Hurns 41 snaps, 4 targets, 2 catches, 49 yards
Austin 20 snaps, 3 targets, 3 catches, 59 yards
Thompson 17 snaps, 3 targets, 3 catches, 12 yards

Hurns from the slot was targeted less than once every 10 snaps. He had the fewest targets per snap, and fewest catches per snap out of the slot.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think several of the WRs are going to get a chance to play in the slot, including Cooper. I think Gallup and Wilson are going to be exciting to watch get better this coming season. I honestly don't know what to expect from Hurns but I'm glad to hear he is recovering.

J12B

Reaction score

Hurns being compared to Keyshawn lol

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

Good comparison.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Slot Performance, 2018

Hurns from the slot was targeted less than once every 10 snaps. He had the fewest targets per snap, and fewest catches per snap out of the slot.

Makes sense considering Beasley was here and cooper wasn’t the first half of the year.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Slot Performance, 2018

I’d say that’s way too small of a sample size to really come to any conclusion.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Makes sense considering Beasley was here and cooper wasn’t the first half of the year.
Beasley's just in there to provide context.

Here's pre-Cooper trade
Beasley 163 snaps, 34 targets, 27 catches, 315 yards
Hurns 27 snaps, 3 targets, 1 catch, 20 yards
Gallup 18 snaps, 3 targets, 2 catches, 28 yards
Austin 18 snaps, 2 targets, 2 catches, 49 yards
Thompson 16 snaps, 2 targets, 2 catches, 6 yards

Post-Cooper, includes playoffs
Beasley 287 snaps, 41 targets, 31 catches, 341 yards
Cooper 65 snaps, 14 targets, 11 catches, 203 yards
Gallup 38 snaps, 3 targets, 2 catches, 51 yards
Hurns 15 snaps, 1 target, 1 catch, 9 yards
Brown 14 snaps, 1 target, 0 catches, 0 yards
Austin 11 snaps, 3 targets, 3 catches, 15 yards
Thompson 1 snap, 1 target, 1 catch, 16 yards

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will say Hurns is also able to move outsider I don't see Beasley doing that effectively. If Moore can bring more motion to the offense then I think Hurns ability to play inside or outside is an advantage not a disadvantage

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Hurns is neither quick or shifty, something you're really looking for in a slot receiver......He's a third or fourth receiver on a good team imo

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hurns is capable but will he be able?
With hurns I expect more slants that will help replace the Beasley option route plus Witten running his option route. The thing with Beasley gone is it will open up deeper routes in the middle of the field whether its slot posts or deep ins or having a receiver like Hurns or Cooper that can run routes outside the hashes from the slot and having outside guys running routes to the middle of the field. Hopefully more versatility by the WR will make defenses cover the whole field last year the inside guys ran inside routes out side guys ran longer and more vertical routes.