Twitter: Hurns on the Cowboys passing game

Kaiser

Reaction score
I agree, but he's a 6th year 4th string receiver though. Those type of receivers need the ball placed perfectly to make plays IMO.
Thompson is who he is. Fast receiver in a straight line that can return kicks.

I agree in general but any NFL WR drawing a paycheck needs to catch that ball or at least knock it down so it isnt picked off. But I posted the video to show that Hurns is pretty stupid to call out the play call instead of the execution on that play.

Kaiser

Reaction score
In general I agree. But when a ball is thrown that late to the wrong side, it becomes a 50-50 ball.

That's the craptastic part of every game since the Giants game, every part of the offense is 30% to blame so when you stack it all up you get really poor execution.

Zordon

Reaction score
Honestly Zordon, I don't need this guy to tell me what I see. I would just like to see him shut up and focus on doing his Job. I mean, I see what he's doing on the field and he's not really being part of the solution here. Too many people talking, not enough people trying to do their part and just play better, is I guess where I'm coming from on this.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see how this does anything but make things worse. JMO
Do you remember when Aikman publicly called out Switzer and Gailey? Or when Haley called out Jerry for not paying Emmitt? They did that despite winning championships. Now we're in the midst of one of the worst stretches of offensive football in this franchise's history yet players are not supposed to speak their minds? Wow...

The coaches and the front office for this franchise has felt wayyy to comfortable with the status quo around here lately, and a big part of that is how we muzzle our players and silence any type of differing opinion. Good things can come from conflict. Look at the Eagles. Pederson publicly got flack from his players during his first year for his decision making and some comments he made about the team after a bad loss. Instead of running the players out of town, he listened to their concerns and made adjustments to his coaching style. The next year they won the Super Bowl and the players credited him for listening to their input.

http://973espn.com/eagles-enjoy-playing-for-pederson/

“I think he is doing a great job of demanding and allowing players to have ownership for what we are doing,” Safety Malcolm Jenkins stated. “It’s not necessarily what he is making us do, we all feel this is our thing. We have input, he listens to the players and we listen to him. We are building this together.”

Listening to his players may seem like a very small thing, but to them it is huge. It is also rare.

“Only certain coaches get that,” Jenkins smiled. “A lot of coaches come in and try to establish their way, their culture, what they want and a lot of times you don’t have the buy-in from the entire team. But when you allow the players to have that input and ownership, everybody feels this is our baby and everybody is fully invested.”

“He came to me a couple of weeks into the season and asked me a question about how something was going,” Defensive End Chris Long said. “As a new guy, I have been in the league ten years, just to reach out and ask me those questions, I think it’s really cool. It speaks to the fact that he doesn’t have an ego, which I think is really cool.”

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I can't imagine a third year starting QB has no authority to influence the play call. Especially when running a fast paced, call the play at the line offense like they have been running recently.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Do you remember when Aikman called out Switzer and Gailey publicly? Or when Haley called out Jerry for not paying Emmitt? They did that despite winning championships. Now we're in the midst of one of the worst stretches of offensive football in this franchise's history yet players are not supposed to speak their minds? Wow...the coaches and the front office for this franchise has felt wayyy to comfortable with the status quo around here lately and a big part of that is how we muzzle our players and silence any type of differing opinion. Good things can come from conflict. Look at the Eagles. Pederson publicly got flack from his players during his first year for his decision making and some comments he made about the team after a loss. Instead of running the players out of town, he listened to their concerns and made adjustments to his coaching style. The next year they won the championship and the players credited him for listening to their input.

Garrett losing the locker room. This is perfect for his end of season firing. If this continues and more players speak up. Jerry will have no choice. Actually, Stephen will have no choice.

Tommy

Reaction score
Do you remember when Aikman called out Switzer and Gailey publicly? Or when Haley called out Jerry for not paying Emmitt? They did that despite winning championships. Now we're in the midst of one of the worst stretches of offensive football in this franchise's history yet players are not supposed to speak their minds? Wow...

The coaches and the front office for this franchise has felt wayyy to comfortable with the status quo around here lately, and a big part of that is how we muzzle our players and silence any type of differing opinion. Good things can come from conflict. Look at the Eagles. Pederson publicly got flack from his players during his first year for his decision making and some comments he made about the team after a bad loss. Instead of running the players out of town, he listened to their concerns and made adjustments to his coaching style. The next year they won the Super Bowl and the players credited him for listening to their input.

Cool story!

So what I am getting from you is that anytime a player disagrees with any decision making within the team they should run and tell someone in the media about it. Because this really serves the best interest of the team.

The Natural

Reaction score
It was and the throw should have been better. But a 6th Year WR in the NFL also needs to be able to come back on the ball and make catches when the ball is two feet off the perfect spot:

Lol @ the play design here. 3rd and 8, RB and TE go 2 yards into the flats, Beasley running into the middle of nowhere, defender draped all over Deonte freakin Thompson and Dak throws it anyway. Granted I cant see the safeties in this shot but Hurns clearly wins at the line of scrimmage.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
True to an extent. Depending on how much leeway Dak is given to make those changes at the line and on that particular play.

I could see it as being a criticism of either one or both. To be honest.

Garrett does not scheme to beat the other team. There's no outsmarting. He believes in 1-on-1, beat the man in front of you, and out-execute.

Scrubs like Deonte Thompson are rarely, if ever, going to win those matchups.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Cool story!

So what I am getting from you is that anytime a player disagrees with any decision making within the team they should run and tell someone in the media about it. Because this really serves the best interest of the team.

Also Charles Haley didn't make any weasely public comments, he screamed at Jerry in the locker room and then put his helmet through the wall of the locker room. He wasn't talking to a reporter and he also did it back when Bipolar Disorder was just called Bat Poop Crazy.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Do you remember when Aikman called out Switzer and Gailey publicly? Or when Haley called out Jerry for not paying Emmitt? They did that despite winning championships. Now we're in the midst of one of the worst stretches of offensive football in this franchise's history yet players are not supposed to speak their minds? Wow...the coaches and the front office for this franchise has felt wayyy to comfortable with the status quo around here lately and a big part of that is how we muzzle our players and silence any type of differing opinion. Good things can come from conflict. Look at the Eagles. Pederson publicly got flack from his players during his first year for his decision making and some comments he made about the team after a loss. Instead of running the players out of town, he listened to their concerns and made adjustments to his coaching style. The next year they won the championship and the players credited him for listening to their input.

Couple of things here. 1. I didn't like it when Troy did that with Gailey either. Truth be told, Gailey was probably right and Troy was probably wrong in the big picture but, the result was was Campo as a replacement. I fail to see how any of that helped the situation. 2. Even though I don't think it's right to do that in a public forum, I think it does make a difference when you got a guy who has some skins on the wall, like a HOF QB, rather then a cheap FA WR who has one decent year in the league.

Good things don't come from conflict in this situation. I mean really? Garrett isn't going anywhere until Jerry decides he's done and this comment from Hurns, that's like pissing on a forest fire from an airplane from 50 thousand feet. It's not going to impact any real decisions. It's only going to feed the fire.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

So essentially he's just saying the Texans had the right defensive call for what Dallas wanted to do, which probably came from film study. The thing we don't know is whether Dak had an audible call, which he should have, to get out of the play.

However, I think Hurns' criticism is unfounded because Thompson got enough separation that it would have been a catch with good ball placement. We beat the coverage; we just didn't execute the play.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Lol @ the play design here. 3rd and 8, RB and TE go 2 yards into the flats, Beasley running into the middle of nowhere, defender draped all over Deonte freakin Thompson and Dak throws it anyway. Granted I cant see the safeties in this shot but Hurns clearly wins at the line of scrimmage.

It's funny that Dak is always criticized for being afraid of throwing into tight coverage, but he does that here and he's still criticized.

This is not a difficult play for a receiver to make. It's a play he should win. How many times did Stafford throw passes like this to Detroit WR's two weeks ago, and their WR's won the battle against our DB's to come up with tough catches?

You have to make throws like this when you're trotting out JAG scrubs like Deonte Thompson. He's never going to be running free without a defender in sight, so you've got to make difficult throws and he's got to use his size to come up with the catch.

khiladi

Reaction score
The guys criticizing Hurns now for stating truths are the same ones saying he is the sure-fire replacement to Dez and his production.

Now they are saying he’s had too little of an impact to be talking so much... ironically they aren’t speaking about their little impact in the field of being a GM when they were saying Hurns is gonna replace Dez’s production..

I’m pretty sure many of them are Garrett homers..

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
smh you guys are so damn sensitive and adverse to conflict just like Garrett. instead of acknowledging the truth he's speaking, you guys attack the messenger because he said something bad about your beloved Cowboys. would you prefer players just shut up and quietly accept the status quo?
LOL, yea stick with him, he's a winner.

khiladi

Reaction score

If you get a close up, Dak’s ball placement was horrible. He throws it to the left of WR, where the DB hits the ball upward. And there is no way Dak should have placed it there, because Thompson is on the OUTSIDE of the DB, whose basically playing the inside.

Dak was probably also late on the throw. Look at Dak’s demeanor, it looks like he keeps hesitating. And just at the last second, it looks way late because Thompson made his stop already, before Dak releases it seems.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
That's the craptastic part of every game since the Giants game, every part of the offense is 30% to blame so when you stack it all up you get really poor execution.
Lol, I tend to think it's more like 40/40/20, but yea. All facets are to blame.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Hurns said this he’s an idiot, even if he’s right. Playing it out in the media and pointing fingers at coaches and teammates is not how to handle things.