Twitter: Hurns on the Cowboys passing game

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's like I'm talking to myself here. Call everybody out, call nobody out, take a shower and decide to go out, I don't care but don't do it through Twitter. Do it in the locker room and keep it in the locker room.
Generally I agree with that mindset, but sometimes, when the blame is unfairly being lumped all on one group, I don't blame them for fighting back. These guys have short windows to make their money and having all of these accusations and assumptions can harm them when it comes time to negotiate a contract, especially if their numbers are low because the rest of the team is dragging them down.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't the QB suppose to check out of a play if the coverage dictates it? Tells me Dak doesn't understand what he see's so it's on Dak not the play caller who is cut off 15 seconds before the play Dak is on his own from 15 to zero.

Neither one of them can be considered good.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
It was and the throw should have been better. But a 6th Year WR in the NFL also needs to be able to come back on the ball and make catches when the ball is two feet off the perfect spot:

The problem with him coming back here is...the defender is already there due to the bad pass. Thompson tries and shoulder checks the defender, but it's too late.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Honest question. The coordinator, I assume, doesn't know the defensive call when he makes his call correct? I mean, he knows the personnel but I would think they can get into any number of defenses.

So whose responsibility is to make the call once the defense is set? I would think it's the QB that needs to make that call.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Honest question. The coordinator, I assume, doesn't know the defensive call when he makes his call correct? I mean, he knows the personnel but I would think they can get into any number of defenses.

So whose responsibility is to make the call once the defense is set? I would think it's the QB that needs to make that call.

Pretty sure Fred pointed things out, then it is Dak's job to audible into the correct play.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Generally I agree with that mindset, but sometimes, when the blame is unfairly being lumped all on one group, I don't blame them for fighting back. These guys have short windows to make their money and having all of these accusations and assumptions can harm them when it comes time to negotiate a contract, especially if their numbers are low because the rest of the team is dragging them down.

Well, here is what I would say to that. I don't believe that any future coaching staff that might be interested in signing this player is going to look at it that way. What I believe is that they are going to look at how he did what he did through social media and think twice. I actually think he's hurting himself more then anything. Coaches aren't stupid. They can see what the Cowboy Offense is and is not doing. If a guy like Hurns wants to sign with a new team, they are going to see where the break down is in our offense. Like many are fond of saying, the film don't lie. However, doing this in a public forum, that's going to hurt more then it helps IMO.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It's a double-edged sword.

If they do it after they're gone like TO, Crayton, Bennett, Jesse Holley, and Dez, it's "sour grapes" because the team let them go.

If they do it while they're still here, they're talking out of turn and the comments are viewed as detrimental to the team.

Maybe these are things that finally need to come out publicly? I know everybody like Romo, Witten, and Dez covering for it while they were here hasn't helped or changed anything.

I think guys like Romo, Witten, and Dez knew the score and tried their hardest to make chicken salad out of chicken poop, Romo changing plays liberally always looking for Dez and Witten.

mperfection

Reaction score
Hurns is w very outspoken guy for someone with such a limited NFL impact
His pedigree isn’t what’s in question...it’s our sorry coaching that is. The fact is, he’s telling the truth, and anyone who doesn’t think so must have just gotten introduced to the game of football, let alone the Dallas Cowboys.

I’m tired of fans criticizing a player who is telling the unadulterated truth simply because the player doesn’t have the “pedigree” to do so. The playcalling AND coaching has been very suspect (abysmal) for YEARS now and criticism of the coaching is warranted, if truthful, regardless from whom it’s coming. Both Dez and Brice Butler have criticized the playcalling over the past few months, both of whom were unceremoniously dumped. The troubling fact is the lesser player of the two has been invited back. Go figure!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
smh you guys are so damn sensitive and adverse to conflict just like Garrett. instead of acknowledging the truth he's speaking, you guys attack the messenger because he said something bad about your beloved Cowboys. would you prefer players just shut up and quietly accept the status quo?
People like Hurns don't get it.

Dre11

Reaction score
What makes you think Hurns is calling out the coaching.

He said it is the worst playcall you can make "against that coverage." Plays come in from the sideline before the defense is set up. If the play isn't going to work against the shown coverage you check out of that play into another. That is the QB's job.

Nevermind the fact that if Hurns actually said that he is a complete idiot.

I'm so freaking glad someone understands football. Not only that the WRs have route adjustments as well.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, here is what I would say to that. I don't believe that any future coaching staff that might be interested in signing this player is going to look at it that way. What I believe is that they are going to look at how he did what he did through social media and think twice. I actually think he's hurting himself more then anything. Coaches aren't stupid. They can see what the Cowboy Offense is and is not doing. If a guy like Hurns wants to sign with a new team, they are going to see where the break down is in our offense. Like many are fond of saying, the film don't lie. However, doing this in a public forum, that's going to hurt more then it helps IMO.
Oh I know that the teams that may be interested in him are going to study the film. They are going to know well before he arrives at the facility whether or not they think he's someone that can help them. What I also know is that even if they think he got a raw deal in Dallas and he was open every play, they are not going to talk about that in the negotiation process. They are going to say, "well, you had 47 catches for 610 yards and 3 TD's last year, here's what other receivers your age with those stats are getting on the market, we feel this is a fair price."

Now, you may be right in that the Twitter stuff is best avoided because that can be a turn off as well, but I don't think the social media stuff matters as much as your stats when it comes to contract time, unless it is over the top belligerent towards teammates or coaching. Which this really wasn't. He basically said, that playcall sucked, but we all sucked and need to pull it together.

Zordon

Reaction score
Couple of things here. 1. I didn't like it when Troy did that with Gailey either. Truth be told, Gailey was probably right and Troy was probably wrong in the big picture but, the result was was Campo as a replacement. I fail to see how any of that helped the situation. 2. Even though I don't think it's right to do that in a public forum, I think it does make a difference when you got a guy who has some skins on the wall, like a HOF QB, rather then a cheap FA WR who has one decent year in the league.

Good things don't come from conflict in this situation. I mean really? Garrett isn't going anywhere until Jerry decides he's done and this comment from Hurns, that's like pissing on a forest fire from an airplane from 50 thousand feet. It's not going to impact any real decisions. It's only going to feed the fire.

There are times when speaking to the media are definitely a detriment to the team. I don't think this is one of them. Especially when receivers see a guy like Dez scapegoated, they're concerned they are going to be next to fall for this regime.

FWIW Hurns was viewed as a great guy in Jacksonville. I don't put his comments in the same box as a guy like ODB for example.