Hurts' salary numbers over the 4 years

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
The cap hit becomes “let’s rip up the rest of that contract and give you a new one where we can repeat this”
Actually yea. They give him a new extension in 2028 and the void money from this deal gets included into the next deal…which probably has void years of its own. A significant portion of this contract might not hit the cap until 2029-2034ish.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Actually yea. They give him a new extension in 2028 and the void money from this deal gets included into the next deal…which probably has void years of its own. A significant portion of this contract might not hit the cap until 2029-2034ish.
And by that time the cap will be 400m$ and 15m$ in leftover dead money will be trivial

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Rarely do teams go a full season without major injuries to key players…they almost NEVER go two straight full seasons without major injuries and Hurtz running all the time….think it’s a ticking time bomb
It could be, depends on if he runs safe or reckless.
I think he got hurt on a sack not a run. Mahomes got his ankle bent just scrambling and still trying to throw.
Running doesnt add much risk if the qb is smart enough to go down before contact.
Dak got hurt because he was running thru tackles, he should have went down 5-7 yards before the guy that broke his leg. Reckless.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Honestly, I was surprised with the money spent by the Eagles on Hurts as I didn't think Howie would sink the ship for ONE player.

Reading up on the guy (Roseman) seems an interesting fellow. Said at age 8 to 9 when asked what he wanted to be when he grew up was a GM for a football team. Never realized this, but apparently his first job with philly was as an intern back in 2000 to work on salary cap issues. The guy must have some brains because he went to law school.

I won't lie and say I understand the money some football players make, I work hard on my own end and don't worry about what others are doing except myself. That said, I can only assume that Roseman knows what he's doing. At first I was surprised that Hurts was signed so quickly, but the more articles I read, even though it was a lot of money, it actually seemed like the smart play on the teams end if this was the road they were intending to go down next year.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Coogi it is all "Cap Math" there are a lot of loopholes, and manipulations that go on in big deals like this.
The longer the contract the better it is for the team, as they can move $ to back end, and then either extend or deal with it.

Jones boys wanted dak to take a 6 year deal last time, but dak was greedy and wanted a 4 year deal so he could then get a raise
with the 2nd contract. His deal was not team friendly at all with the length of contract.

mahomes contract was 10 years, so they can do a lot of manipulation, very team friendly.

As you can see , Hurts cap hits will be cheap, so they can spend $ the next 4 years on the players around hurts.
They want to take advantage of the current team and window, and get some rings. I suspect hurt wants to win
more than make a few extra millions, unlike our greedy diva.

The eagles are now all in on hurts, and in winning the nfc for the next 3 years at least, only question is can they beat KC in SB? and
maybe they get lucky and KC doesnt win the afc.
Dak's been doing the same thing, the Joneses got y'all where they want y'all, thinking Dak cost 40 million against the cap. They cry poor and y'all believe them.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Serious question. What does Hurts do better then Dak? I think he is younger, has not suffered a major injury and runs better. Leadership is about even because as bad as Dallas fans our, If Hurts starts off slow the Eagles fans will throw Hurts under the bus but the kid won’t panic. Dak is by far the better passer and has less weapons. Although with the right draft picks the Cowboys offense might be better.

Carson

Reaction score
Serious question. What does Hurts do better then Dak? I think he is younger, has not suffered a major injury and runs better. Leadership is about even because as bad as Dallas fans our, If Hurts starts off slow the Eagles fans will throw Hurts under the bus but the kid won’t panic. Dak is by far the better passer and has less weapons. Although with the right draft picks the Cowboys offense might be better.
Hurts is much better with his feet and running. He also limits his turnovers. He threw 6 picks all season and 3 of those game in the final two games when he wasn’t healthy.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Hurts is much better with his feet and running. He also limits his turnovers. He threw 6 picks all season and 3 of those game in the final two games when he wasn’t healthy.
Good answer. Hurts reminds me of rookie year Dak.

Sydla

Reaction score
It really only hurts one of two ways:

1 - Hurts regresses where last year was an anomaly. In that scenario, those dummy years would be crushing.

2 - The salary cap somehow doesn't explode like they think.

2 seems unlikely. 1, I guess, is possible. Howie plays the long game and tries to shove as much cap into future years. It's not fool proof but it can be very effective.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How is this possible? Please answer.......anyone (lol)

probably backloaded with huge gauranteed numbers. allowing them to redo the contract then. they just gave themselves a 4 year window of keeping a good team in tact and making a run.

and then we have Jerry Jones and Stephen!!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Hurts has put together 1 plus NFL season. He was 9-10 with a QB ratign below 80 in each of his first two seasons.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I would say their arm strength is identical, but Hurts has a more consistently accurate deep ball. A lot of what DeVonta and AJ do well is because the ball is right on the money

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
And by that time the cap will be 400m$ and 15m$ in leftover dead money will be trivial
ROFL that's not how the math works at all.

So either the reported numbers were fake and a lot of this cash is just going to poof or the dead money would reach 150M.
His cap only went up 2M then all he has been handed was a check for a 10M signing bonus.
Thats really egregious cap mgmt if true and wasting this year's ability to take on 5-8M easily.

To even reach the GTD number Eagles would have to eat 80M in 2027.
(176M - his cap hits in 23-26)

And every dollar paid hits the cap.
So perhaps the VOID years are 75M or some nonsense and the reported contract total were just fluff.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
They just paid a qb who looked great against the easiest schedule in the NFL. Let's see how he looks this year against a 1st place schedule. It amazes me how NFL analysts and fans wanna act like he's done it for ever but yet he's only put up great numbers for 1 season. I hope he stays healthy, I just don't see them asking him to run as much after paying him this amount of money.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I would say their arm strength is identical, but Hurts has a more consistently accurate deep ball. A lot of what DeVonta and AJ do well is because the ball is right on the money
I really like Hurts. Good story and a good role model for anyone that wants to make it in this world. Do you think Hurts could have passed like Dak did against the Eagles top ranked pass defense? I have never seen Hurts having to make those types of reads before.

Sydla

Reaction score
How? The Cowboys restructure and kick dead money down the road. Hence why they were still paying Romo while Dak was in his rookie deal. Where is the dead money gonna hurt the Eagles?
If Hurts gets hurt like Romo and the Eagles draft a QB who takes over for him, the Eagles would be in worse shape than the Cowboys because those dummy year dead money hits are massive.

If Romo never gets hurt, he likely plays out the contract and the Cowboys don't really have to eat that dead money.

PS - Roseman also restructures and kicks cap hits down the road. The only real difference is Roseman has been smarter about who he restructures. For example, restructuring Elliott was likely a silly decision that Roseman would not have made (frankly, I don't think Roseman would have even resigned Elliott or even drafted him).