Hurts' salary numbers over the 4 years

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I would say their arm strength is identical, but Hurts has a more consistently accurate deep ball. A lot of what DeVonta and AJ do well is because the ball is right on the money

Dak has 3 seasons in the top 5 of deep passing accuracy.

Dak was 4th in 2021 and 2016 and Jalen didn't even make the list before last year.
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-accurate-deep-ball-qb-2021

Last year Jalen made the list for the first time and was 11th.
Dak was 14th without a deep threat on the team other than CeeDee.

What Jalen does well is keep plays alive and provide a legit rush threat.
But he has made MAJOR improvement each year and could be quite special if this is the level he sets as standard.

Flamma

Reaction score
That’s impossible
LOL yeah, that's what I thought too. But from what I've been hearing, his 4th and 5th year will be around an 80M cap hit. Maybe he's just banking on the cap spiking.

Flamma

Reaction score
It's a 7-year contract. The next 3 years are basically 60m each, it's not that different to what we do except we use restructures to acheive it.
It's a 5 year extension starting in 2024 and running through 2028. 2023 is the last year of his rookie contract that he has to play out. That doesn't disappear because he got an extension.

kskboys

Reaction score
All that really matters when examining a contract is the guarantees. Unless Hurts completely and utterly implodes, to the point of getting cut, his guarantee is 179 mil. As long as he is on the roster in 2024, that is what he makes.

The numbers get tossed around and pushed down the road as needed. If you'll notice, this was a longer deal, which helps the team to do just that in order to keep a good team together.

The fact that Dak refused to let the Cowboys do that was extremely selfish of him. Insisting on a 4 year deal was a purely anti-team move, which is why many of us were so POed at him.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Dak has 3 seasons in the top 5 of deep passing accuracy.

Dak was 4th in 2021 and 2016 and Jalen didn't even make the list before last year.
https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-accurate-deep-ball-qb-2021

Last year Jalen made the list for the first time and was 11th.
Dak was 14th without a deep threat on the team other than CeeDee.

But he has made MAJOR improvement each year and could be quite special if this is the level he sets as standard.
That's not a deep passing accuracy stat. It's the highest completion percentage stat. Big difference.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
If Hurts gets hurt like Romo and the Eagles draft a QB who takes over for him, the Eagles would be in worse shape than the Cowboys because those dummy year dead money hits are massive.

If Romo never gets hurt, he likely plays out the contract and the Cowboys don't really have to eat that dead money.

PS - Roseman also restructures and kicks cap hits down the road. The only real difference is Roseman has been smarter about who he restructures. For example, restructuring Elliott was likely a silly decision that Roseman would not have made (frankly, I don't think Roseman would have even resigned Elliott or even drafted him).
Elliott was extended not restructured or am I wrong?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Bingo! This is his bread and butter and because he's such a threat, defenses have to respect it. Many fans don't know but he led all QBs rushing attempts last season, even Lamar Jackson before he got hurt. In fact, when I looked it up mid-season, he had more rushing attempts than Zeke. Now kick in TWO LEGIT top 5 WRs and a legit top 10 TE. But give him credit, he keeps a ton of plays alive and unlike Lamar and RG3, he's thick and built like a RB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
It was so frustrating.
Like most things we encounter, has its pros and cons. Less dead money later, but less cap room for FA now.

The question becomes…what would they have done with the savings. Sign another top free agent that we cant currently afford, or figured they could overpay Schultz?

We are probably better off as is. Those who think if Dak was playing for 10m a year less and that’s what’s preventing us from being better isn’t entirely accurate when you consider who is running things.

kevm3

Reaction score
Coogi it is all "Cap Math" there are a lot of loopholes, and manipulations that go on in big deals like this.
The longer the contract the better it is for the team, as they can move $ to back end, and then either extend or deal with it.

Jones boys wanted dak to take a 6 year deal last time, but dak was greedy and wanted a 4 year deal so he could then get a raise
with the 2nd contract. His deal was not team friendly at all with the length of contract.

mahomes contract was 10 years, so they can do a lot of manipulation, very team friendly.

As you can see , Hurts cap hits will be cheap, so they can spend $ the next 4 years on the players around hurts.
They want to take advantage of the current team and window, and get some rings. I suspect hurt wants to win
more than make a few extra millions, unlike our greedy diva.

The eagles are now all in on hurts, and in winning the nfc for the next 3 years at least, only question is can they beat KC in SB? and
maybe they get lucky and KC doesnt win the afc.
Why would our 'greedy diva' take a discount for a franchise that franchised him ? He would have taken a sweetheart deal if we had signed him around the time Goff and others got that contract. Could have had him for around 32 million.

Sydla

Reaction score
Bingo! This is his bread and butter and because he's such a threat, defenses have to respect it. Many fans don't know but he led all QBs rushing attempts last season, even Lamar Jackson before he got hurt. In fact, when I looked it up mid-season, he had more rushing attempts than Zeke. Now kick in TWO LEGIT top 5 WRs and a legit top 10 TE. But give him credit, he keeps a ton of plays alive and unlike Lamar and RG3, he's thick and built like a RB.
I like D Smith. I'd love for him to be on Dallas.

But he ain't a "legitimate Top 5 WR".