Hurts' salary numbers over the 4 years

gtb1943

Reaction score
Dak was greedy is the difference. Hurts agreeing to a long contract allowed the birds to do that
Big difference 4 years vs 7

gtb1943

Reaction score
what? his contract does have void years. "refused"?
LENGTH is the key. It is not hard to figure for those with a brain
And Dak refused to take a longer deal. The blame is on Dak for that part of it all
Jethro and company also screwed the pooch waiting that extra year to get the deal done
It is what it is

jujoboys

Reaction score
That’s the difference between Jerry/Stephen and Roseman.

2027 and 2028 could be a first sale crap fest, but at least they get a crack at this thing for 4 years with very modest cap hits.
There are 3 differences between what Jerry did and what Howie did.

1) Howie gave an extension prior to the 4th year which helped keep the initial salary cap hit low for the Eagles in the 4th year. So they get Hurts for a cap hit of $6 million in year 4 and Dak' cap hit in year 4 was $2 million (rookie contract
2) Dallas franchised Dak in the 5th year. The Cap hit was $31.4 million. Overall that CAP hit is not bad but Dallas should have done his deal that year instead of the franchise tag. Obviously Hurts wasn't franchised.
3) Dallas signed Dak to a 4 year deal and allowed the cap hits to be normal or front loaded knowing they would just turn around and restructure every year. The Eagles signed Hurts to a 5 year back loaded contract and went ahead and factored the restructures into the contract which is basically the same result.

The biggest difference really is the franchise tag year. If you ignore that year you can see both teams have low salary cap hits initially and later on they increase drastically:

Dak

4th year cap hit = $2 million
5th year cap hit = Franchise tag ignore for this exercise
6th year cap hit = $17.2 million
7th year cap hit = $19.7 million
8th year cap hit = $26.8 million
9th year cap hit = $59 million (back load hits) - He will need to be extended or cut lose at this point

Hurts

4th year cap hit = $6 million
5th year cap hit = $13.6 million
6th year cap hit = $21.7 million
7th year cap hit = $31.8 million
8th and 9th year cap hit = There is a missing $182 million that has to be accounted for - He will need to be extended or cut. I can't even imagine the dead cap hit you would take on a cut like this.

So the big difference are the franchise tag Dallas used, back load (Phi) vs front load (Dal), extension prior to 4th year (Phi) rather than new contract (Dal), and a 4 year contract (Dal) vs a 5 year contract (Phi).

I think we will know more about the Hurts contract when we have all of the details. I think some of those numbers are likely to change. I can't imagine they found a way to dump that much salary cap into the last 2 years of a contract..

Flamma

Reaction score
Why are people saying 7 years? Jalen Hurts has to play out the last year of his rookie contract, then got a 5 year extension. It's 6 years. Where is the 7 coming from? It's a 5 year extension after the last year of his rookie contract.

kskboys

Reaction score
Like most things we encounter, has its pros and cons. Less dead money later, but less cap room for FA now.

The question becomes…what would they have done with the savings. Sign another top free agent that we cant currently afford, or figured they could overpay Schultz?

We are probably better off as is. Those who think if Dak was playing for 10m a year less and that’s what’s preventing us from being better isn’t entirely accurate when you consider who is running things.
Sure, but w/ that attitude, might as well just give up anyway!!!!

Jarntt

Reaction score
How is this possible? Please answer.......anyone (lol)

It's simple. Just like every other contract Philly kicks the can as far down the road as possible. They will use roster bonuses which are spread over 5 years from the date of the bonus. There will be a ton of cap hit after the deal is already over. Check out the Eagles contracts of the last 3 years. All of them are structured this way. The cap is just math and you can't escape even one dollar of the cap hit. All you can do is craft when it hits. Most teams will do this on a year by year basis and keep restructuring (like we did with Dak). Howie just does it up front for some reason. It all ends up the same in the end and the Eagles are renowned for going for it now and screwing their future cap health.

Sydla

Reaction score
No. Zeke was extended, never restructured.
No, he was restructured in 2021 where they converted some of his base salary to a bonus to spread the cap hit over the remaining years of the contract.

Sydla

Reaction score
Why are people saying 7 years? Jalen Hurts has to play out the last year of his rookie contract, then got a 5 year extension. It's 6 years. Where is the 7 coming from? It's a 5 year extension after the last year of his rookie contract.

Void years. Philly adds years to the end of the contract to shift more cap hits. But those years don't carry base salaries, bonuses, etc. They are literally just place holders to dump some future cap hits.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sure, but w/ that attitude, might as well just give up anyway!!!!
Nah not that way at all.

I just don’t make a big thing out of the idea of “overpaying” for Prescott (or not having the ability to push cap charges far down the road with a shorter deal)….because where was the savings going?

I mean sure, the difference is probably one mid to high level starting player, which would be nice to have, but he isn’t the reason they don’t splurge in FA. They never did regardless.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Coogi it is all "Cap Math" there are a lot of loopholes, and manipulations that go on in big deals like this.
The longer the contract the better it is for the team, as they can move $ to back end, and then either extend or deal with it.

Jones boys wanted dak to take a 6 year deal last time, but dak was greedy and wanted a 4 year deal so he could then get a raise
with the 2nd contract. His deal was not team friendly at all with the length of contract.

mahomes contract was 10 years, so they can do a lot of manipulation, very team friendly.

As you can see , Hurts cap hits will be cheap, so they can spend $ the next 4 years on the players around hurts.
They want to take advantage of the current team and window, and get some rings. I suspect hurt wants to win
more than make a few extra millions, unlike our greedy diva.

The eagles are now all in on hurts, and in winning the nfc for the next 3 years at least, only question is can they beat KC in SB? and
maybe they get lucky and KC doesnt win the afc.
Ok so example the cap hit for 2024 can be small like 13 million, how does that work. Does the bonus money affect the cap or is it just the base salary

VACowboy

Reaction score
That’s the difference between Jerry/Stephen and Roseman.
That's the difference between Hurts and Prescott. If those numbers are right Hurts is playing for beans for four years, and then what? The team will restructure the remaining $160 mil so he plays for beans again? Is Hurts really willing to play for half what other top QBs are making? Are they never going to pay the guy? I think the idea that a bigger salary cap is going to rescue the team down the road is BS. There will be more money to spend but every team is competing for the same pool of players. All player contracts are going to go up, including QB contracts, and the percentages spent on each position are not going to change. Who realistically believes the other players are going to be willing to take less to accommodate QB money or that the QB share of that pie is going to shrink? Roseman isn't working any magic. Either Hurts continues being ok making less or at some point Philly has to pay him. What am I missing?

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Ok so example the cap hit for 2024 can be small like 13 million, how does that work. Does the bonus money affect the cap or is it just the base salary
His cap hits in 2027 and 2028 are absolutely massive, but the Eagles didn't ask Schefter to tweet that part for them because it doesn't make them look as good.

Proof

Reaction score
And Dak refused to take a longer deal. The blame is on Dak for that part of it all
Jethro and company also screwed the pooch waiting that extra year to get the deal done
It is what it is
Whoa, relax clown. Dak didn't refuse to take a longer deal, he asked for more money on the 5th year after playing out the final year of his contract @ like 3 mil. Hurts got the biggest deal in nfl history after a year of proving himself. Dak got lowballed and the tag.

Proof

Reaction score
That's the difference between Hurts and Prescott. If those numbers are right Hurts is playing for beans for four years, and then what? The team will restructure the remaining $160 mil so he plays for beans again? Is Hurts really willing to play for half what other top QBs are making? Are they never going to pay the guy? I think the idea that a bigger salary cap is going to rescue the team down the road is BS. There will be more money to spend but every team is competing for the same pool of players. All player contracts are going to go up, including QB contracts, and the percentages spent on each position are not going to change. Who realistically believes the other players are going to be willing to take less to accommodate QB money or that the QB share of that pie is going to shrink? Roseman isn't working any magic. Either Hurts continues being ok making less or at some point Philly has to pay him. What am I missing?
The 110 mil gtd at signing.

kskboys

Reaction score
what? his contract does have void years. "refused"?
I'm not sure what you're saying.

We wanted a longer contract so we could work w/ the numbers and keep a competitive team around Dak. Dak refused to sign a longer deal. That is specifically what we are referring to.

You should read back on the convo next time to avoid sounding foolish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Whoa, relax clown. Dak didn't refuse to take a longer deal, he asked for more money on the 5th year after playing out the final year of his contract @ like 3 mil. Hurts got the biggest deal in nfl history after a year of proving himself. Dak got lowballed and the tag.
I have no idea where you got this from as it is incorrect. The entire contract argument was about us wanting a longer deal and Dak insisting on a shorter deal.

Dak did not get lowballed.

kskboys

Reaction score
It is what it is
That's on Dak also. They agreed on a deal and Dak renegged.

Proof

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying.

We wanted a longer contract so we could work w/ the numbers and keep a competitive team around Dak. Dak refused to sign a longer deal. That is specifically what we are referring to.

You should read back on the convo next time to avoid sounding foolish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah that's what void years are for (specifically in this case for Hurts) Daks deal has them, you said they didn't. Obviously the length of his actual deal isn't what you'd hope, but adding voidable years offsets that. And that's what I was responding to. Regardless you don't know what you're talking about and are way too in love with the exclamation mark.

Proof

Reaction score
I have no idea where you got this from as it is incorrect. The entire contract argument was about us wanting a longer deal and Dak insisting on a shorter deal.

Dak did not get lowballed.
No idea where I got what from? They tried to pay Dak less than his peers and guys he'd out played. That's lowballed. Hurts got the highest paid contract in league history. It's easy to see why one was agreed to quickly and the other wasn't.