Hurts' salary numbers over the 4 years

kskboys

Reaction score
Nah not that way at all.

I just don’t make a big thing out of the idea of “overpaying” for Prescott (or not having the ability to push cap charges far down the road with a shorter deal)….because where was the savings going?

I mean sure, the difference is probably one mid to high level starting player, which would be nice to have, but he isn’t the reason they don’t splurge in FA. They never did regardless.
I'm optimistic in that sense. The more monies/resources you have to spend, the better your chances at becoming a super bowl contender. Every salary matters.

What if the savings goes to a player that contributes to us beating SF in the playoffs? That is where the savings is going.

Oh, contraire. We used to spend bigtime in FA. Have you forgotten Carr? Problem is, Jerry's extremely poor ability to evaluate players makes our FA signings fail way too often. And that is what caused Jerry to stop spending big in FA. He is confused. I betcha a nickel that Jerry has not idea why Carr wasn't great here.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Here's what I've been able to piece together about the Hurts deal:

Five years (2024-2028), $255 million total. $23.294 million signing bonus. Signing bonuses are spread out across five years, but since Hurts signed an extension during the last year of his rookie season, the bonus hits the cap a year early (and ends a year early, so no prorated bonus in 2028).

It looks like the remaining salary from Hurts' rookie deal was also converted to bonus, which means his salary this year is probably the minimum plus a $100,000 workout bonus. That gives us the following breakdown. This is a rough estimate, but it's close:

2023 (Final year of rookie deal)
Prorated Bonus: 5.3 million
Salary / Other Bonuses: 750,000 + 100,000
Cap Hit: 6.15 million

2024 (First year of new deal)
Salary / Other Bonuses: 8.25 million
Cap Hit: 13.56 million

Salary / Other Bonuses: 16.47 million
Cap Hit: 21.77 million

Salary / Other Bonuses: 26.47
Cap Hit: 31.77 million

2027 (Final year of prorated signing bonus)
Salary / Other Bonuses: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Cap Hit: Somewhere between 160-170 million minus whatever is accounted for in 2028

2028 (Final year of new deal)
Prorated Bonus: 0
Cap Hit: Somewhere between 160-170 million minus whatever is accounted for in 2027

The last two cap hits are going to average somewhere around $85 million per year. That's not a typo. There's some kind of option bonus structure in the deal that will allow them to shuffle more money around, but I assume that's so they can push those super high backend salaries into a second deal that runs into the 2030s.

Anyway, feel free to take that one for a spin before Fisher steals it and calls it an "exclusive exclusive," lol.

kskboys

Reaction score
No idea where I got what from? They tried to pay Dak less than his peers and guys he'd out played. That's lowballed. Hurts got the highest paid contract in league history. It's easy to see why one was agreed to quickly and the other wasn't.
You joined in a convo yelling and screaming and have no idea what we were talking about. And you're not even aware of the holdup on the contract negotiations. Man, go read a book or something.

kskboys

Reaction score

Five years (2024-2028), $255 million total. $23.294 million signing bonus. Signing bonuses are spread out across five years, but since Hurts signed an extension during the last year of his rookie season, the bonus hits the cap a year early (and ends a year early, so no prorated bonus in 2028).

It looks like the remaining salary from Hurts' rookie deal was also converted to bonus, which means his salary this year is probably the minimum plus a $100,000 workout bonus. That gives us the following breakdown. This is a rough estimate, but it's close:

Cap Hit: Somewhere between 160-170 million minus whatever is accounted for in 2028

Cap Hit: Somewhere between 160-170 million minus whatever is accounted for in 2027

The last two cap hits are going to average somewhere around $85 million per year. That's not a typo. There's some kind of option bonus structure in the deal that will allow them to shuffle more money around, but I assume that's so they can push those super high backend salaries into a second deal that runs into the 2030s.

Anyway, feel free to take that one for a spin before Fisher steals it and calls it an "exclusive exclusive," lol.
Yup. Those last couple of huge years of salary will be kicked down the road if Hurts balls out and gets another contract. He'll get the money, just not all at once.

bottleKids

Reaction score
Serious question. What does Hurts do better then Dak? I think he is younger, has not suffered a major injury and runs better. Leadership is about even because as bad as Dallas fans our, If Hurts starts off slow the Eagles fans will throw Hurts under the bus but the kid won’t panic. Dak is by far the better passer and has less weapons. Although with the right draft picks the Cowboys offense might be better.
Take his team to the Superbowl.

Not anymore - this is a put up or shut up year for Dak imo. I won't rag on him much this year is my new goal, but I feel this has to be the year to make a deep run. Eagles Paid Hurts, but with how its so backloaded they will have some dollars to pick up depth... we really need to make this season count and hopefully Dak can do it.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Whoa, relax clown. Dak didn't refuse to take a longer deal, he asked for more money on the 5th year after playing out the final year of his contract @ like 3 mil. Hurts got the biggest deal in nfl history after a year of proving himself. Dak got lowballed and the tag.
Lowballed? BS. Whether you want to admit it or not, Dak did not LEAD us anywhere. Whether you like it or not, Hurts was the driving force in getting the birds to the SB. One can argue just how important he was but the bottom line is he got a LOT FARTHER IN THE PLAYOFFS then Dak has. Dak has had a LOT of support despite your claims.

Sydla

Reaction score

Those 2027 and 2028 cap hits will be slightly lower if there really are 2 void years attached after 2028.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
They'll have a 4-year window to win, then in 27 & 28, they'll just tank to get lots of high draft picks and then start over again. Sounds like a plan to me.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Sturm isn't accounting for the reported void years tacked on after 2028.
Can you explain the "kicking the can" deal? Does Hurts just settle for peanuts for the duration of his career or what? I'm not being a smart***. I genuinely am not understanding why either Hurts is cool with less than half the money Dak is making or Philly has found some magic loophole where they get to avoid cap hits.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Can you explain the "kicking the can" deal? Does Hurts just settle for peanuts for the duration of his career or what? I'm not being a smart***. I genuinely am not understanding why either Hurts is cool with less than half the money Dak is making or Philly has found some magic loophole where they get to avoid cap hits.

The “road” never ends. So you can continue kicking the can as far as you want basically. It’s like borrowing money now from future years, interest free.

The cowboys do it too. They just don’t do it initially but by restructuring the deal every offseason.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That's the difference between Hurts and Prescott. If those numbers are right Hurts is playing for beans for four years, and then what? The team will restructure the remaining $160 mil so he plays for beans again? Is Hurts really willing to play for half what other top QBs are making? Are they never going to pay the guy? I think the idea that a bigger salary cap is going to rescue the team down the road is BS. There will be more money to spend but every team is competing for the same pool of players. All player contracts are going to go up, including QB contracts, and the percentages spent on each position are not going to change. Who realistically believes the other players are going to be willing to take less to accommodate QB money or that the QB share of that pie is going to shrink? Roseman isn't working any magic. Either Hurts continues being ok making less or at some point Philly has to pay him. What am I missing?
Yeah, I left that out.

Sometimes I let my Jones disdain take over. The Dak/Hurts factor is the other part of the equation.

If the numbers are as reported, Hurts provided Howie with more years to work with and that allows them to be more competitive in the immediate future, and that's an advantage Roseman has over the Jones boys in this case.

Does Jalen ever get paid? Is he stupidly betting on himself, or is Roseman saying "*** it-- if it doesn't work the first 4 years, then we'll rebuild the next two seasons when Hurts has the massive cap hits".

mcmvp

Reaction score
Hurts is getting paid more than Dak, not less

Proof

Reaction score
You joined in a convo yelling and screaming and have no idea what we were talking about. And you're not even aware of the holdup on the contract negotiations. Man, go read a book or something.
you're dense. there was no yelling or screaming (unless you count exclamation points). and i didn't "join a convo" y'all aren't at a coffee shop lol. i replied to a post in a public thread. but yeah, you don't seem to really know anything about what you're discussing or any of the salient points or how contracts work. all good buddy, carry on being wrong dutifully.

Proof

Reaction score
Lowballed? BS. Whether you want to admit it or not, Dak did not LEAD us anywhere. Whether you like it or not, Hurts was the driving force in getting the birds to the SB. One can argue just how important he was but the bottom line is he got a LOT FARTHER IN THE PLAYOFFS then Dak has. Dak has had a LOT of support despite your claims.
What claims? I didn't make any claims about Daks support or give an opinion on him in general. He got offered less than wentz and goff though and opted to play out his rookie contract. There's not a player in the league that would turn down the deal that Hurts just got (well except maybe Lamar) so I just don't think it's worth comparing the situations or drawing conclusions other than the Eagles FO got the job done.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
There are 3 differences between what Jerry did and what Howie did.

1) Howie gave an extension prior to the 4th year which helped keep the initial salary cap hit low for the Eagles in the 4th year. So they get Hurts for a cap hit of $6 million in year 4 and Dak' cap hit in year 4 was $2 million (rookie contract
2) Dallas franchised Dak in the 5th year. The Cap hit was $31.4 million. Overall that CAP hit is not bad but Dallas should have done his deal that year instead of the franchise tag. Obviously Hurts wasn't franchised.
3) Dallas signed Dak to a 4 year deal and allowed the cap hits to be normal or front loaded knowing they would just turn around and restructure every year. The Eagles signed Hurts to a 5 year back loaded contract and went ahead and factored the restructures into the contract which is basically the same result.

The biggest difference really is the franchise tag year. If you ignore that year you can see both teams have low salary cap hits initially and later on they increase drastically:

Dak

4th year cap hit = $2 million
5th year cap hit = Franchise tag ignore for this exercise
6th year cap hit = $17.2 million
7th year cap hit = $19.7 million
8th year cap hit = $26.8 million
9th year cap hit = $59 million (back load hits) - He will need to be extended or cut lose at this point

Hurts

4th year cap hit = $6 million
5th year cap hit = $13.6 million
6th year cap hit = $21.7 million
7th year cap hit = $31.8 million
8th and 9th year cap hit = There is a missing $182 million that has to be accounted for - He will need to be extended or cut. I can't even imagine the dead cap hit you would take on a cut like this.

So the big difference are the franchise tag Dallas used, back load (Phi) vs front load (Dal), extension prior to 4th year (Phi) rather than new contract (Dal), and a 4 year contract (Dal) vs a 5 year contract (Phi).

I think we will know more about the Hurts contract when we have all of the details. I think some of those numbers are likely to change. I can't imagine they found a way to dump that much salary cap into the last 2 years of a contract..
Great breakdown.

I guess where I'm annoyed is the philosophy difference after the deal is done.

Granted, I may just projecting from a frustrated place. I'm grading the Joneses after the fact, and I'm projecting what I think Howie will do, which isn't exactly fair.

I think Roseman will take advantage of the low cap hits and continue making significant free agent moves to throw a few haymakers at winning another super bowl. And if it doesn't work, he'll eat the massive dead money cap while they rebuild and be right back in it later.

The Jones duo has proven that they're too concerned with retaining their own guys to do this.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Ok so example the cap hit for 2024 can be small like 13 million, how does that work. Does the bonus money affect the cap or is it just the base salary
Bonuses will all be split over 5 years for cap purposes and base salaries will fully hit the cap in the year they are paid out. His 2024 cap hit will be one fifth of his signing bonus plus a league minimum salary of around $1M. He will also start getting roster/option bonuses of which one fifth of the cap hit will be in year one of the roster bonus. So if those bonuses begin in 2024 there will also be a cap hit of 1/5 of said bonus. So if you assume he does get a roster bonus in 2024 his cap hit will be his base salary + one fifth of his signing bonus + one fifth of his 2024 roster bonus. There may also be minor adjustments but that will be the bulk of his 2024 cap hit

John813

Reaction score
1. Is those numbers just base salary? Would make more sense.
2. Devil is in the details. Could have some major roster bonuses hidden in years 2 and 3 that could be restructured in those years to keep the original signing bonus low/prorate as needed.
3. Waiting for OTC/spotrac

VACowboy

Reaction score
They'll have a 4-year window to win, then in 27 & 28, they'll just tank to get lots of high draft picks and then start over again. Sounds like a plan to me.
I'm not sure I like that a whole lot better. Hurts didn't win a SB with the consensus best roster in the league around him and he will have neither that OL nor that defense in 2023. They've lost a bunch of good players despite Roseman's can kicking and they aren't gonna be able to replace them all through the draft. For all his wizardry, Roesman is not great at acquiring players via the Annual NFL Player Selection Meeting.

Dallas will be better. The Gints will be better. Washington will be better. SF beat Philly in the NFC championship game and then took one of the Eagles' best defensive players. SF's boy wonder QB will be in his second season. SF is damn sure going to be better. I'm not sure Philly is, and it remains to be if they'll be any better in the future if they continue to rent players and struggle in the draft.