Hurts' salary numbers over the 4 years

Wangchung83

Reaction score
I like Hirts and have been a fan but this contract like Daks hinders the team. He has done more than Dak ever has with equal Talent, never saw Dak go 12-1 or had the playoff success Hurts had last year. Recall this was Hurts second year as starter and first with the weapons and decent oline. One thing the fanboys can’t argue is Hurts ceiling was definitely higher than Daks. Still hate the contract as it’s obvious I was wrong in Hurts wanting to win more than money. It’s generational wealth regardless if he takes a team friendly deal that allow them to keep his weapons and o line. The money will have to come from somewhere and most likely get a weak d in coming years.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
it is complicated lol, try doing a search on how cap hit is calculated. They do different things to lower the cap hit , and I dont know all of that,
that is why I call it cap math.
all I know is dak makes 40 mil a year, but with all the cap math, he will never make exactly 40 mil a year. it could be anywhere from 5 to 60 mil
You're amazing thank you

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Bonuses will all be split over 5 years for cap purposes and base salaries will fully hit the cap in the year they are paid out. His 2024 cap hit will be one fifth of his signing bonus plus a league minimum salary of around $1M. He will also start getting roster/option bonuses of which one fifth of the cap hit will be in year one of the roster bonus. So if those bonuses begin in 2024 there will also be a cap hit of 1/5 of said bonus. So if you assume he does get a roster bonus in 2024 his cap hit will be his base salary + one fifth of his signing bonus + one fifth of his 2024 roster bonus. There may also be minor adjustments but that will be the bulk of his 2024 cap hit
I need to see this in numbers and broken down

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
We tried, Dak refused.

Honestly, how does anyone forget stuff like this?
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Why would any player reject a contract just because it had void years added to the end of it.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
All that really matters when examining a contract is the guarantees. Unless Hurts completely and utterly implodes, to the point of getting cut, his guarantee is 179 mil. As long as he is on the roster in 2024, that is what he makes.

The numbers get tossed around and pushed down the road as needed. If you'll notice, this was a longer deal, which helps the team to do just that in order to keep a good team together.

The fact that Dak refused to let the Cowboys do that was extremely selfish of him. Insisting on a 4 year deal was a purely anti-team move, which is why many of us were so POed at him.
I’m not sure what you mean. They used void years on Prescott. He signed a four year deal with two void years at the end to spread the salary cap over more time. Hurts signed a five-year contract with an unknown number of void years at the end. Probably more void years than two, but this point we don’t know. Actually when you look at the two deals side-by-side, they are likely very similarily structured.

Could you elaborate what you mean?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
No. This is dumb. He's under contract for two seasons beyond that. Those will be huge cap numbers but he'll likely get a new deal after those 4 years
Are you talking about Hurts or someone else? Only first rounders get the 5th year option so 2023 will be the last year of Hurts' rookie contract. I guess the league is allowing him to collect the signing bonus on the extension but not have to pay the piper until 2-3 years down the road? It's an interesting loophole.. Hurts is a fine young man so I wish him well.. except of course when he plays the Cowboys.. in which case I hope he gets crushed!

Adreme

Reaction score
I like Hirts and have been a fan but this contract like Daks hinders the team. He has done more than Dak ever has with equal Talent, never saw Dak go 12-1 or had the playoff success Hurts had last year. Recall this was Hurts second year as starter and first with the weapons and decent oline. One thing the fanboys can’t argue is Hurts ceiling was definitely higher than Daks. Still hate the contract as it’s obvious I was wrong in Hurts wanting to win more than money. It’s generational wealth regardless if he takes a team friendly deal that allow them to keep his weapons and o line. The money will have to come from somewhere and most likely get a weak d in coming years.
Um equal talent where? Their WR4 is better than the Cowboys WR2. They would also have the advantage in the TE room, RB, and with the injuries the OLine room. I think the Eagles were overrated defensively but their offense absolutely was loaded. If you put together the best skill players Dak had in his entire career you might be able to be even with what the Eagles fielded last year.

Reactions: CWR

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bonuses will all be split over 5 years for cap purposes and base salaries will fully hit the cap in the year they are paid out. His 2024 cap hit will be one fifth of his signing bonus plus a league minimum salary of around $1M. He will also start getting roster/option bonuses of which one fifth of the cap hit will be in year one of the roster bonus. So if those bonuses begin in 2024 there will also be a cap hit of 1/5 of said bonus. So if you assume he does get a roster bonus in 2024 his cap hit will be his base salary + one fifth of his signing bonus + one fifth of his 2024 roster bonus. There may also be minor adjustments but that will be the bulk of his 2024 cap hit
that means dak has no idea how much he will make in 2024 lol.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I’m not sure what you mean. They used void years on Prescott. He signed a four year deal with two void years at the end to spread the salary cap over more time. Hurts signed a five-year contract with an unknown number of void years at the end. Probably more void years than two, but this point we don’t know. Actually when you look at the two deals side-by-side, they are likely very similarily structured.

Could you elaborate what you mean?
Yeah I agree I thought Dak's deal had voidable years in it as well. I don't recall whose option it was to void them and maybe it was either side could do it but I distinctly remember that language when the contract info came out.

birdwells1

Reaction score
It is 40 mil x4 , no qb gets the exact avg pay each year. but the guaranteed $ will have to be payed at some point, even after player is gone.
in 24 dak is owed 64 mil lol, and they cant pay that so have to extend him or cut him and tank that year. All the $ pushed forward, comes due at some point.
But cap goes up every year

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Are you talking about Hurts or someone else? Only first rounders get the 5th year option so 2023 will be the last year of Hurts' rookie contract. I guess the league is allowing him to collect the signing bonus on the extension but not have to pay the piper until 2-3 years down the road? It's an interesting loophole.. Hurts is a fine young man so I wish him well.. except of course when he plays the Cowboys.. in which case I hope he gets crushed!
Much of his money in in those bonuses, much of it guaranteed. The NFL doesn't seem to care when guaranteed money is paid as long as the player gets paid and is accounted for in the cap. They allow signing bonuses to be spread out many years. I don't know if there is a limit beyond a player actually being on a team.

sarge1116

Reaction score
Serious question. What does Hurts do better then Dak? I think he is younger, has not suffered a major injury and runs better. Leadership is about even because as bad as Dallas fans our, If Hurts starts off slow the Eagles fans will throw Hurts under the bus but the kid won’t panic. Dak is by far the better passer and has less weapons. Although with the right draft picks the Cowboys offense might be better.
Simple answer. Hurts is an ascending player in all facets. Dak is not.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
Sturm isn't accounting for the reported void years tacked on after 2028.
I don’t understand how normal people don’t get that… Let alone those who have a mega phone and are paid to follow the industry

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
No, there likely are two more dummy years after the initial 5 year deal. They carry no base salary but are just years created to dump cap hits. Philly does this a lot. So it's really likely $200 million over 4 years.

PS - I'll wait to see the actual numbers that show up eventually on Spotrac and Over the Cap. Schefter could have the numbers wrong.
When we get close to the end of this extension, assuming Hurts is still playing at a high-level, they will do another extension, and roll this contract’s void money into the new extension… Which will also have void years. Bottom line, a significant portion of this contract money won’t hit the salary cap until the late 2020s.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Man its so funny same fans "Dak makes 40 mill a year" well no he never actually cap hit costs that

Same fans "Man hurts is only____ a year" yeah because you didnt blindley just divide his contract up by monay years as you did Daks

Jesus its the same kind of contract if they wont out of it sooner they will have cap hits just like the Cowboys..the name on the building doesnt change the math. The Eagles paid Hurtz more so they will pay more if they need out of the contract...its really not that hard.