I’m fine with Garrett coming back, but next year needs to be the year

Diehardblues

Reaction score
OK, what facts do you present that refute what I have just stated?
I was just refuting your opinion which you appeared to be presenting as more factual simply because you believed it to be true.

I felt my opinion was more compelling spelling out what our core issues are and why it’s difficult to expect the Cowboys to contend for a championship without more talent.

Strong opinions often clash.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I believe it’s silly to expect this franchise to win a championship within the parameters Jerry allows.

The model Jerry has set this era is not a recipe on how winning championships. The sooner fans come to accept the sooner they can hold Jerry more accountable.

This false hope Jerry’s going to bring in and let some HC receive more credit than him after all of these years is totally unfounded with no evidence to support.

I think everybody understands this but what does that have to do with Garrett's capabilities? Garrett's biggest weakness, as a HC, is his inability to make game time adjustments. He can't change it up on the fly and come up with something that works. He comes up with a game plan and they roll with that and if he and the staff have done a good job, then we are good most of the time. If he has not, then we are on the wrong side of the snow ball rolling down hill, headed for hell. I mean, that's what I've seen for years. That has nothing, at all, to do with Jerry. Jerry has his own set of issues but this thing about Garrett's ability to coach, that's not a Jerry thing. It's certainly Jerry's fault that Garrett is here but the actual ability to coach, that's not about Jerry. That's on Garrett.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They were better than us for the duration of the season. It doesn’t have to be “ way better” just better.

I don’t know of anyone besides some Cowboy fans who actually thought we were or are the better team.

Of course they have a better coaching staff and front office. That’s not advantage we often have the ability or luxury to overcome thanks to Jerry’s ways.

Our talent has to overcome like it did in the 11 games we won.

It wasn't about being the better team.

The matchup favored us.

Even the haters were pointing this out. Not just realistic fans like me who see good matchups sometimes and bad matchups.

The Rams struggled to stop the run all year and the Cowboys were great at defending the run yet we allowed 270 yards when we were averaging 94 and they were averaging 144.

We lost in a way we shouldn't have against a team that struggles at stopping what we do.

Saying that they are a better team is just lazy. Especially in this NFL when anyone can beat anyone.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Absolutely. No extension this year and only next year if a year end review after the season determines it's warranted. And then, maybe only a 1 year extension. And I'm not a Garrett hater, I just don't think there's a reason to lock yourself in.
I’m looking forward to see who the next puppet will be. And the influence it will have on convincing Jerry to go against his instincts. The Circus ride isn’t over yet.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I was just refuting your opinion which you appeared to be presenting as more factual simply because you believed it to be true.

I felt my opinion was more compelling spelling out what our core issues are and why it’s difficult to expect the Cowboys to contend for a championship without more talent.

Strong opinions often clash.

What I said it factual but if you are going to challenge the validity of it, then I want you to define what the basis will be. I want you to show me what you are going to accept and then provide that data in support or refute.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It wasn't about being the better team.

The matchup favored us.

Even the haters were pointing this out. Not just realistic fans like me who see good matchups sometimes and bad matchups.

The Rams struggled to stop the run all year and the Cowboys were great at defending the run yet we allowed 270 yards when we were averaging 94 and they were averaging 144.

We lost in a way we shouldn't have against a team that struggles at stopping what we do.

Saying that they are a better team is just lazy. Especially in this NFL when anyone can beat anyone.

This is it exactly. Plus, the right side of there OL is not very good at all. Very average Strong Side DEs torched there RT because they were able to create one on one situations and basically put him on an island. They did this through scheme. We didn't even try to do this. That's the real difference, to me. They watched what other teams did to us and they built a game plan around that. We didn't pay attention, at all, to what other teams did to the Rams. I mean, there were some very key things that I believe we could have done to them and we didn't do it. I have no idea why either.

JustChip

Reaction score
Anything less than a SB will be a disappointment. That is thee standard for next year.

I agree. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a Super Bowl win, but then I've been disappointed 49 out of the 54 I've been a fan. However, I've never gone into any year expecting to win the Super Bowl (or NFLC prior to that), nor can I say I considered all of those 49 years failures. There were definitely failed years (1989 and 2000-2002 stick out), but this year wasn't one.

I'm not a fan of an ultimatums - win the SB or NFCC next year or your gone. There are just too many mitigating factors. You sit down at the end of the year and assess and then decide what is the best course of action.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For the past few years every time the Cowboys make the playoffs they miss the playoffs the following year due to playing a first place schedule. They’re going to have a tough schedule in 2019. They’ve been unable to build on a playoff season because of a tougher schedule the following year. The team hasn’t had back to back playoff seasons since 2006 and 2007. It’s been up one year and down the next.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I agree. I'll be disappointed with anything less than a Super Bowl win, but then I've been disappointed 49 out of the 54 I've been a fan. However, I've never gone into any year expecting to win the Super Bowl (or NFLC prior to that), nor can I say I considered all of those 49 years failures. There were definitely failed years (1989 and 2000-2002 stick out), but this year wasn't one.

I'm not a fan of an ultimatums - win the SB or NFCC next year or your gone. There are just too many mitigating factors. You sit down at the end of the year and assess and then decide what is the best course of action.

I watched this team piss away the Tony Romo years, after Parcells rebuilt the team, taking that approach. If this team does that again, with no results to show for it, I think they run the risk of losing a lot of the fan base.

That's just my opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think everybody understands this but what does that have to do with Garrett's capabilities? Garrett's biggest weakness, as a HC, is his inability to make game time adjustments. He can't change it up on the fly and come up with something that works. He comes up with a game plan and they roll with that and if he and the staff have done a good job, then we are good most of the time. If he has not, then we are on the wrong side of the snow ball rolling down hill, headed for hell. I mean, that's what I've seen for years. That has nothing, at all, to do with Jerry. Jerry has his own set of issues but this thing about Garrett's ability to coach, that's not a Jerry thing. It's certainly Jerry's fault that Garrett is here but the actual ability to coach, that's not about Jerry. That's on Garrett.
I understand but it goes back to what kind of HC does Jerry want and or will allow.

I’m not defending Garretts weaknesses. I’ve stated we are talent dependent and really have been for much of the last 23 years with the exception with Bill. 2003 is probably the last season we were really elevated by our coaching staff to the playoffs.

Coaching is simply not going to be a strength for our franchise under Jerry until he gives it up.

We had enough talent to win 11 games. Our focus given our current handicaps within our dysfunctional organization should be on acquiring more talent since elite coaching isn’t really a priority. We’ve seen how more talent has made a difference.

And we really don’t know how much influence Jerry has. If part of that influence overflows into game day then its uncertain. Like game planning for Daks weaknesses. So, yes.. I might hold Jerry more accountable . Regardless if he’s the one that continuing to support him then ultimately he’s the problem.

Calling Garrett out is barking up the wrong tree IMO regardless how much better it might make everyone feel. I think it’s somewhat amazing we’re able to even field a competitive team With this dysfunctional organization. My bar has definitely been lowered this era and the results haven’t lessened Anymore with Garrett.

JustChip

Reaction score
For the past few years every time the Cowboys make the playoffs they miss the playoffs the following year due to playing a first place schedule. They’re going to have a tough schedule in 2019. They’ve been unable to build on a playoff season because of a tougher schedule the following year. The team hasn’t had back to back playoff seasons since 2006 and 2007.

It's not just the Cowboys, though. No NFCE team has repeated as champ in 15 or so years. Granted there have been a Wild Card entrants the year after, but the best path to the playoffs is to win your division.

Playing a 1st place schedule the ensuing year has some bearing, but IMO, that's probably down on the list of reasons. The Eagles played the Rams and Vikings this year as the 2017 NFCE winner; the Cowboys played the Seahawks and Lions as the 2nd place team. Yet, both went 1-1 in those games so there was no difference so it boiled down to how they did in the other 14 common games unrelated to the prior year position.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I watched this team piss away the Tony Romo years, after Parcells rebuilt the team, taking that approach. If this team does that again, with no results to show for it, I think they run the risk of losing a lot of the fan base.

That's just my opinion.
I certainly hope so. But I doubt it. Cowboy fans are mostly addicted . They will complain all the way to the bank much like the rest of the league does.I tried to get a boycott 10 years ago when Bill left but was laughed off another fansite because everyone believed in Romo and the fact Jerry had done it before. But I saw Wade was a fraud like the other puppets and Jerry set him up for failure.

You simply can’t run a franchise how Jerry is insistent in doing. This is about as good as the results we can hope for.

Remember Jerry screwed up the best Cowboys team ever assembled only winning one more championship which was totally talent driven while it was obvious we missed the great coaching leadership.

But now we somehow want to believe it’s different?

Coaching matters but Jerry doesn’t care. He tried that but wasn’t happy winning back to back championships . This is why where we are now almost 25 years later. Not much has changed. We are still talent dependent and why Jerry gets so attached to them.

JustChip

Reaction score

That's just my opinion.

I'm sure that would be the case. I'm just speaking for myself. My enthusiasm certainly ebbs and flows with how I feel about the prospects for the team. The Campo years were probably the lowest I've ever been. The bottom line for me is, are they competitive and is there a chance for playoff success. I believe at this point they will be both of those next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What I said it factual but if you are going to challenge the validity of it, then I want you to define what the basis will be. I want you to show me what you are going to accept and then provide that data in support or refute.
Sorry, you’ve lost me now. I’m not sure what you’re requesting?

And I’ve been so busy I’m not sure where we started with here. I basically wouldn’t accept anything that doesn’t hold Jerrys ways as the basis or culprit in why Garrett is here and remains here.

My argument is not in defending Garretts coaching ability other than he’s been one of the best puppets.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I understand but it goes back to what kind of HC does Jerry want and or will allow.

I’m not defending Garretts weaknesses. I’ve stated we are talent dependent and really have been for much of the last 23 years with the exception with Bill. 2003 is probably the last season we were really elevated by our coaching staff to the playoffs.

Coaching is simply not going to be a strength for our franchise under Jerry until he gives it up.

We had enough talent to win 11 games. Our focus given our current handicaps within our dysfunctional organization should be on acquiring more talent since elite coaching isn’t really a priority. We’ve seen how more talent has made a difference.

And we really don’t know how much influence Jerry has. If part of that influence overflows into game day then its uncertain. Like game planning for Daks weaknesses. So, yes.. I might hold Jerry more accountable . Regardless if he’s the one that continuing to support him then ultimately he’s the problem.

Calling Garrett out is barking up the wrong tree IMO regardless how much better it might make everyone feel. I think it’s somewhat amazing we’re able to even field a competitive team With this dysfunctional organization. My bar has definitely been lowered this era and the results haven’t lessened Anymore with Garrett.

Why would calling Garrett out for what he is, as a coach, be barking up the wrong tree? I mean, it doesn't matter who the owner is. That's a separate issue, separate discussion. I don't see the problem with calling Garrett out, on the merits of his abilities, at all.

We disagree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Why would calling Garrett out for what he is, as a coach, be barking up the wrong tree? I mean, it doesn't matter who the owner is. That's a separate issue, separate discussion. I don't see the problem with calling Garrett out, on the merits of his abilities, at all.

We disagree.
Calling him out is not an issue but the reason he’s here and continues to be here is on the owner. And any expectations or results Thereof. The situation is part of the argument.

I think the initial opinion I was questioning was the speculation we are as talented and or as good of team as Rams.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I certainly hope so. But I doubt it. Cowboy fans are mostly addicted . They will complain all the way to the bank much like the rest of the league does.I tried to get a boycott 10 years ago when Bill left but was laughed off another fansite because everyone believed in Romo and the fact Jerry had done it before. But I saw Wade was a fraud like the other puppets and Jerry set him up for failure.

You simply can’t run a franchise how Jerry is insistent in doing. This is about as good as the results we can hope for.

Remember Jerry screwed up the best Cowboys team ever assembled only winning one more championship which was totally talent driven while it was obvious we missed the great coaching leadership.

But now we somehow want to believe it’s different?

Coaching matters but Jerry doesn’t care. He tried that but wasn’t happy winning back to back championships . This is why where we are now almost 25 years later. Not much has changed. We are still talent dependent and why Jerry gets so attached to them.

This sounds a lot like Baseball sounded before they lost a lot of their fan base. I can only speak for myself but I can say that I used to watch all the NFL I could, not just Cowboys. Now, really only watch the Cowboys and after 48 years of it, I'm getting to the point where I question why I am doing that. Seriously, this is not the game I loved and this is not the League that captured my imagination. This is a completely different thing and this is a question that would have never entered my mind 10 years ago. I would not be so sure that the fan base is baked in.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I'm sure that would be the case. I'm just speaking for myself. My enthusiasm certainly ebbs and flows with how I feel about the prospects for the team. The Campo years were probably the lowest I've ever been. The bottom line for me is, are they competitive and is there a chance for playoff success. I believe at this point they will be both of those next year.

Fair enough.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Sorry, you’ve lost me now. I’m not sure what you’re requesting?

And I’ve been so busy I’m not sure where we started with here. I basically wouldn’t accept anything that doesn’t hold Jerrys ways as the basis or culprit in why Garrett is here and remains here.

My argument is not in defending Garretts coaching ability other than he’s been one of the best puppets.

The evaluation of talent between the Cowboys and the Rams.