I’m fine with Garrett coming back, but next year needs to be the year

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This sounds a lot like Baseball sounded before they lost a lot of their fan base. I can only speak for myself but I can say that I used to watch all the NFL I could, not just Cowboys. Now, really only watch the Cowboys and after 48 years of it, I'm getting to the point where I question why I am doing that. Seriously, this is not the game I loved and this is not the League that captured my imagination. This is a completely different thing and this is a question that would have never entered my mind 10 years ago. I would not be so sure that the fan base is baked in.
I sincerely hope more fans are disenchanted like you have been. I walked away from my financial investment over 10 years ago screaming many of the issues your voicing and the fan base continued to grow with fringe and fantasy fans as I know thousands others like me walked away.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Calling him out is not an issue but the reason he’s here and continues to be here is on the owner. And any expectations or results Thereof. The situation is part of the argument.

I think the initial opinion I was questioning was the speculation we are as talented and or as good of team as Rams.

I don't need the owners approval to call the Coaching Staff out and the fact that Jerry refuses to fire the guy is not a built in excuse for not calling the situation what it is.

As I said before, those are two different discussions.

I stand by my initial opinion on talent. Rams are not better then we are, from a talent perspective. They have strengths in areas that are superior but so do we. They just put themselves in a position to use their strengths and this Coaching Staff didn't, or couldn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't need the owners approval to call the Coaching Staff out and the fact that Jerry refuses to fire the guy is not a built in excuse for not calling the situation what it is.

I stand by my initial opinion on talent. Rams are not better then we are, from a talent perspective. They have strengths in areas that are superior but so do we. They just put themselves in a position to use their strengths and this Coaching Staff didn't, or couldn't.
They are situations that do crossover.

cern

Reaction score
I’m looking forward to see who the next puppet will be. And the influence it will have on convincing Jerry to go against his instincts. The Circus ride isn’t over yet.
I do not agree. the next head coach will be chosen by Stephen after a careful vetting process. dak remained the starter in 2016 even after jerry said tony would return when healthy. Stephen's call. dez was unceremoniously shown the door even after jerry said he'd be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen's call. offering eberflus the dc position last year...….Stephen's call. bringing in Kris richard………….Stephen's call. next coach won't be a puppet.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They are situations that do crossover.

Only if you allow them to do so. There are two basic discussion around those two issues.

1. Is Garrett a good coach?

2. If not, why?

Second topic.

1. Will Jerry ever fire Garrett

2. If not, why?

You can boil down to that, right there. Two separate discussions, unless you open them up. But you don't have to do that. You can discuss one or the other on it's own merits.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

I understand. But I’d argue that’s merely a subjective thought . And one I’d agree on some fronts but for me I simply don’t see the Cowboys as a better team.

Does that mean we couldn’t have placed ourselves in a better position to win. Of course but based on our seasons I think it’s a very compelling argument that the Rams had a better team.

I haven’t spoken to any Cowboy fan that didn’t walk away thinking the best team won. The rest is left for discussion on a fan forum.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
This sounds a lot like Baseball sounded before they lost a lot of their fan base. I can only speak for myself but I can say that I used to watch all the NFL I could, not just Cowboys. Now, really only watch the Cowboys and after 48 years of it, I'm getting to the point where I question why I am doing that. Seriously, this is not the game I loved and this is not the League that captured my imagination. This is a completely different thing and this is a question that would have never entered my mind 10 years ago. I would not be so sure that the fan base is baked in.
The only reason I hang in there is memories of what the Cowboys used to be. Just very sad knowing the team I grew up with is really dead. And there's really no reason for it other than stubbornness by the people in charge.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I do not agree. the next head coach will be chosen by Stephen after a careful vetting process. dak remained the starter in 2016 even after jerry said tony would return when healthy. Stephen's call. dez was unceremoniously shown the door even after jerry said he'd be a cowboy in 2018. Stephen's call. offering eberflus the dc position last year...….Stephen's call. bringing in Kris richard………….Stephen's call. next coach won't be a puppet.
Your certainly allowed to believe as such.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The only reason I hang in there is memories of what the Cowboys used to be. Just very sad knowing the team I grew up with is really dead. And there's really no reason for it other than stubbornness by the people in charge.
It’s been dead for a generation. I’m over it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I understand. But I’d argue that’s merely a subjective thought . And one I’d agree on some fronts but for me I simply don’t see the Cowboys as a better team.

Does that mean we couldn’t have placed ourselves in a better position to win. Of course but based on our seasons I think it’s a very compelling argument that the Rams had a better team.

I haven’t spoken to any Cowboy fan that didn’t walk away thinking the best team won. The rest is left for discussion on a fan forum.

First of all, I didn't say better. I said that they don't have better talent then we do. I think the two teams, talent wise are very similar.

Secondly, I didn't say they weren't better. I said that they were better but not because of talent. I am not sure where you coming up with some of this Diehard. I said nothing like what you are suggesting here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only if you allow them to do so. There are two basic discussion around those two issues.

1. Is Garrett a good coach?

2. If not, why?

Second topic.

1. Will Jerry ever fire Garrett

2. If not, why?

You can boil down to that, right there. Two separate discussions, unless you open them up. But you don't have to do that. You can discuss one or the other on it's own merits.
To each there own. But the bottom line to me is we wouldn’t have these frustrating situations without Jerry’s agendas. So , ultimately it always ends there.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

I understand that. For me, it's really kinda different. I mean, I enjoy the Cowboys but honestly, I am a bigger fan of the sport then I am of the team. I just can't watch what is happening to the game and maybe, that's carrying over to the Cowboys, for me. IDK.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
To each there own. But the bottom line to me is we wouldn’t have these frustrating situations without Jerry’s agendas. So , ultimately it always ends there.

Maybe not, but if there is one topic that has been beaten to death more then the Garrett topic, it's the Jerry topic so whats the point of it all? Pointing out the obvious is fine but Jerry is never going to change. Garrett, he might.

cern

Reaction score
I hope jerry becomes so enamored by the coasts of Italy, Greece, france, Majorca, et. al. he forgets about the cowboys.

blueblood70

Reaction score
So, next year regardless whether we have the best team in the NFC we must reach the Super Bowl? Do we even realize how absurd this is?
maybe he means even if we are a WC team and catch foire in the playoffs and maybe catch break like the rams did and end up in the SB..not absurd because the Rams should NOT be playing in the SB they got gifted two non PI calls one led to an INT in OT that ended the game the other extended the game..so yes even if you are the best team, sometimes the best team doesnt win..See our Saints win and its an old saying so he cant be absurd..

Them

Reaction score
I’m fine with Garrett coming back, but next year needs to be the year

... I agree!....'nuff said!:dance:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Remember Jerry screwed up the best Cowboys team ever assembled only winning one more championship which was totally talent driven while it was obvious we missed the great coaching leadership.

Those teams were talent driven and free agency is what ultimately screwed them up. We lost a number of key role players on those teams in free agency. Jimmy leaving certainly didn’t help but we no longer had the talent we once had.

JustChip

Reaction score
Next year will indeed be the make it or break it year. If Garrett is our HC in 2020, it’s because we went to or won the NFCCG/Super Bowl.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true. I think that’s the majority of fans’ perspective. I think it totally depends on how the team performs. E.g., suppose they win the East & a 1st round bye, but lose the Divisional game due to a blatant officiating error like what happyto the Saints. Do you fire him then? The only rationale to do so would be if one believed it shouldn’t have come down to that.